WildFact
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+--- Thread: Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws (/topic-skulls-skeletons-canines-claws)

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - epaiva - 03-07-2017

African Lion
*This image is copyright of its original author

(03-07-2017, 04:39 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: @epaiva

Did you measure the skull in the way like the post #288 of this thread?

http://wildfact.com/forum/topic-who-is-the-king-of-the-tigers?page=20

@"GrizzlyClaws

I tried to do my Best measuring it like the post #288

(03-07-2017, 04:47 AM)tigerluver Wrote: Awesome stuff @epaiva , really do appreciate you being kind enough to share with us!

@tigerluver

Thanks a lot for helping me know more about Big Cats

(03-07-2017, 05:36 AM)epaiva Wrote:
(03-07-2017, 04:39 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: @epaiva

Did you measure the skull in the way like the post #288 of this thread?

http://wildfact.com/forum/topic-who-is-the-king-of-the-tigers?page=20

@"GrizzlyClaws

I tried to do my Best measuring it like the post #288
Thanks a lot for helping me know more about the Big Cats, here I found information I was looking for a long time that you do not find in Books or in the Web.

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - GrizzlyClaws - 03-07-2017

(03-07-2017, 05:41 AM)epaiva Wrote: Thanks a lot for helping me know more about the Big Cats, here I found information I was looking for a long time that you do not find in Books or in the Web.

Well, the largest Amur tiger does have significantly larger canine teeth than the largest American lion, but we just couldn't figure the skull magnitude of the obscure monstrous Amur tiger.

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - epaiva - 03-08-2017

Cat Family 
Collection

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - Pckts - 03-08-2017

Amazing Collection, I now have a new goal for a centerpiece in my condo.

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - Spalea - 03-08-2017

@epaiva :

About #495: Can we tell without risk that panthera atrox had the biggest skull among all felines since the pleistocen period ? Compared with the Amur tiger it's eloquent ! Perhaps the Ngandong tiger...

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - GrizzlyClaws - 03-08-2017

(03-08-2017, 02:11 AM)Spalea Wrote: @epaiva :

About #495: Can we tell without risk that panthera atrox had the biggest skull among all felines since the pleistocen period ? Compared with the Amur tiger it's eloquent ! Perhaps the Ngandong tiger...

Panthera atrox got same sized skull with Panthera spelaea, while Panthera fossilis got the largest skull of all felines.

(03-08-2017, 02:43 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(03-08-2017, 02:11 AM)Spalea Wrote: @epaiva :

Panthera atrox got same sized skull with Panthera spelaea, while Panthera fossilis got the largest skull of all felines.

@GrizzlyClaws

What is the estimated size head and body length excluding the tail and height at the shoulders of Panthera Atrox, Panthera Fossilis, Panthera Spelaea and Ngandong Tiger?

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - GrizzlyClaws - 03-08-2017

(03-08-2017, 06:11 AM)epaiva Wrote: @GrizzlyClaws

What is the estimated size head and body length excluding the tail and height at the shoulders of Panthera Atrox, Panthera Fossilis, Panthera Spelaea and Ngandong Tiger?

I think @tigerluver could help you more on this issue, while I am more specialized on the canine/claw.

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - Spalea - 03-08-2017

About #495 photo:

When I see the pantera atrox's skull size, I think this felid has a really big skull. Considering his size and weight (between 250 and 350 kilos) the difference with the Amur tiger is clearly due to something else. Pantera Atrox is the only one big cat whose average skull size exceeds cheefully the 40 centimeters (46 cms) while the average Amur tiger's skull size in length is 38 cm. Really big difference (20%)...

If the size difference is 20%, the size difference in volume would be (1,2) x (1,2) x (1,2) = 1,728 i.e. 72,8 %. Let us admit 70 %. We are in an other scale...

Was this big cat an intellectual felid ?

Of course this big brain doesn't avoid to this big cat in disappearing.

(03-08-2017, 07:26 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:

I think @tigerluver could help you more on this issue, while I am more specialized on the canine/claw.
@tigerluver 

Hope you can help us with this important information

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - tigerluver - 03-08-2017

(03-08-2017, 05:26 PM)epaiva Wrote:

@tigerluver 

From this, I would increase the mass of P. spelaea to around 340 kg based on the occurrence of larger femurs and skulls that approach P. fossilis in size.

(03-08-2017, 11:21 PM)tigerluver Wrote:
(03-08-2017, 05:26 PM)epaiva Wrote:

@tigerluver 

From this, I would increase the mass of P. spelaea to around 340 kg based on the occurrence of larger femurs and skulls that approach P. fossilis in size.

@tigerluver

Thanks a lot for your valuable information