WildFact
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+--- Thread: Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws (/topic-skulls-skeletons-canines-claws)

RE: Huge tiger skulls - johnny rex - 10-25-2019

(10-25-2019, 04:19 PM)Hello Wrote: Unusually wide head,in this case maybe feline acromegaly.

*This image is copyright of its original author

This is Bimbo, a Siberian tiger. One of the worker in the sanctuary said its shoulder height is exactly at 4 feet tall. It is one of those exceptional sized Siberian tigers. His siblings are very big too.

RE: Huge tiger skulls - johnny rex - 10-25-2019

(10-25-2019, 04:26 PM)Hello Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 12:28 AM)johnny rex Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 09:55 PM)tigerluver Wrote: These exceptional skulls may well be a case of feline acromegaly and I’m quite interested in the disease. Are there any photos of the post cranial remains or the living specimen of skulls such as Lionzilla?

Altai and the Duisburg specimen clearly have large heads for their bodies. To diagnose acromegaly we’d need a few more things such as paw growth and oragnomegaly.

About Altai's skull, I still have doubt about the size estimation of its skull using pictures because the scale is below the skull. It will be accurate if the scale is on top of the skull though.The only way to determine the real size of the skull is to measure it ourselves or contacting the current owner of the skull.

IMO,its common among kruger type lion despite acromegaly.Long muzzle but narrow,I have noted these type of skull among Amurs too.
here is a Typical Kruger

here is a long muzzled Amur

Yeah, usually Southern African lions, Siberian tigers and some of the Bengal tiger specimens such as the Northern Indian specimens have larger skull in relation with their body compared to other lion and tiger specimens.

RE: Huge tiger skulls - Pckts - 10-25-2019

(11-22-2018, 09:55 PM)tigerluver Wrote: These exceptional skulls may well be a case of feline acromegaly and I’m quite interested in the disease. Are there any photos of the post cranial remains or the living specimen of skulls such as Lionzilla?

Altai and the Duisburg specimen clearly have large heads for their bodies. To diagnose acromegaly we’d need a few more things such as paw growth and oragnomegaly.

About Altai's skull, I still have doubt about the size estimation of its skull using pictures because the scale is below the skull. It will be accurate if the scale is on top of the skull though.The only way to determine the real size of the skull is to measure it ourselves or contacting the current owner of the skull.

IMO,its common among kruger type lion despite acromegaly.Long muzzle but narrow,I have noted these type of skull among Amurs too.
here is a Typical Kruger

Those skulls types are not just Amur or S. African dependent, you can see them in other sub species as well.
Chota Munna from Kanha is a perfect example

RE: Huge tiger skulls - Hello - 10-25-2019

(10-25-2019, 06:55 PM)Pckts Wrote:

here is a Typical Kruger

Those skulls types are not just Amur or S. African dependent, you can see them in other sub species as well.
Chota Munna from Kanha is a perfect example

Yes indeed Bengals have that type too especially kazi types and one you posted but for siberians and S Africans, its typical and When it comes to Bengals,this guy reminds me

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - Rishi - 11-29-2019

(10-10-2019, 04:55 AM)drumiz Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 11:22 PM)GrizzlyClaws    I am learning about jaguar fangs, and these two pictures were great to practice (and to show me that I was wrong?).  I assumed the two pictures showed a full set of canines (\C Wrote:  
According to that, I believe that picture 1 shows  (from top to bottom): 
1 Upper Left C in lingual view, because in this side the crown surface is more or less flat, and clearly shows two ridges running from the gumline almost to the tip
2 Lower Left C in labial view, in this side of the crown the surface is curved, without ridges, but sometimes with grooves 
3 Lower Right C in labial view, like the previous one,
and 4 Upper Right C in lingual view, like in 1. 

Then, I thought picture 2 showed the same four canines but flipped to show the other side...  but no.  Now it seems to me they are:

1 Upper Left C in labial view; curved crown surface, no ridges, one slight groove, gumline (enamel-dentin line) more or less straight and almost perpendicular to the tooth axis
2 Lower Right C in labial view; curved surface, no ridges, small groove, gumline skewed from tooth axis
3 Lower Left C in labial view, like in 2
4 Upper Rigth C in labial view, like in 1

No Lower Canine was shown in lingual=inner view 

My questions are: 
Do you think it is the same set of fangs in the two pictures?  In picture 1 they seem much wider (fatter?) than in picture 2, but this may be due just to the different framing angle of the picture. Or jaguar fangs may show such an individual difference?  May you or Betty confirm that? 
How long are the cigarettes (in China) ?, may be 83 mm?
Do you know if it is possible to estimate the age class of a jaguar according to the condition of the root (hollow/solid, wide/narrow)?, by looking with X rays?, or by finding some ratio between weight and length? 

Thanks for your patience!   Jaguar

I fixed your posts. Please write your text below the quotes.

RE: Huge tiger skulls - johnny rex - 12-14-2019

Impressive extra large big cat skulls measured by someone on taxidermy forum. https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/426071/
[attachment=3273]

RE: Huge tiger skulls - Pckts - 12-14-2019

(12-14-2019, 09:01 PM)johnny rex Wrote: Impressive extra large big cat skulls measured by someone on taxidermy forum. https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/426071/

Not a record Jag skull but it'd be in the monster class for Almeidas skulls measured.

RE: Huge tiger skulls - GrizzlyClaws - 12-14-2019

(12-14-2019, 09:01 PM)johnny rex Wrote: Impressive extra large big cat skulls measured by someone on taxidermy forum. https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/426071/

The largest modern big cat skull probably ceiled at 3 kg, and 5 kg for the Pleistocene big cat.

RE: Huge tiger skulls - johnny rex - 12-15-2019

Looks like the maximum size for both modern tiger and lion skulls are around 17 inches in length and around 12 inches in width. Not sure about skull height.

RE: Huge tiger skulls - GrizzlyClaws - 12-15-2019

(12-15-2019, 02:59 PM)johnny rex Wrote: Looks like the maximum size for both modern tiger and lion skulls are around 17 inches in length and around 12 inches in width. Not sure about skull height.

@oddarticulations' liger skull is a little over 16 inches long and 12 inches wide, and it already weighs over 3 kg.

But this skull looks proportionally very robust as well.

RE: Huge tiger skulls - johnny rex - 12-16-2019

(12-15-2019, 11:22 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 02:59 PM)johnny rex Wrote: Looks like the maximum size for both modern tiger and lion skulls are around 17 inches in length and around 12 inches in width. Not sure about skull height.

@oddarticulations' liger skull is a little over 16 inches long and 12 inches wide, and it already weighs over 3 kg.

That's the same liger skull that was posted previously in another thread before it was cleaned. If I'm not mistaken the width of the dry cleaned skull (not 100% clean according to the owner) is actually a little bit less than 12 inches after the owner re-measured it using calipers. The length of the dry skull exceeded 16 inches a little bit.

RE: Huge tiger skulls - GrizzlyClaws - 12-16-2019

(12-16-2019, 04:03 PM)johnny rex Wrote:

That's the same liger skull that was posted previously in another thread before it was cleaned. If I'm not mistaken the width of the dry cleaned skull (not 100% clean according to the owner) is actually a little bit less than 12 inches after the owner re-measured it using calipers. The length of the dry skull exceeded 16 inches a little bit.

Nevertheless, the completely boiled and degreased skull would still weigh no less than 3 kg.

By judging the length of the skull, it might not even belong to record specimen.

Perhaps the largest liger could produce a skull over 18 inches long?

RE: Huge tiger skulls - johnny rex - 12-18-2019

(12-16-2019, 11:53 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 04:03 PM)johnny rex Wrote:

Nevertheless, the completely boiled and degreased skull would still weigh no less than 3 kg.

By judging the length of the skull, it might not even belong to record specimen.

Perhaps the largest liger could produce a skull over 18 inches long?

Not sure, because ligers are prone to gigantism so they are always big. Even the biggest liger like Hercules and the current liger from Myrtle Beach Safari, Apollo look like they both have skulls around 17 inches in length and 12 inches in width.

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - Pckts - 02-27-2020

RE: Big Cat's Canines and Claws - anvo1414 - 03-03-2020

Hi can anybody help me
I dont know this tooth is tiger or lion ?