WildFact
Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Captive & Domesticated Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-captive-domesticated-animals)
+--- Thread: Captive Lion and Tiger weights (/topic-captive-lion-and-tiger-weights)

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - GuateGojira - 02-24-2020

(02-24-2020, 01:14 AM)Hello Wrote: 158 KG? That's very small for a captive Amur.IMO captive average amur 190-200 kg Biggest 250+ anyways he's a good looking boy

I think that they made a mistake in the email, probably the figure is 185 kg, still low but more in the line for an adult male. Maybe @Shadow can clarify this with them.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - GuateGojira - 02-24-2020

(02-22-2020, 02:46 PM)Amnon242 Wrote: Arnound 220 kg at the age of 5, around 240 kg at the age of 7 (weighted). Lean, but very tall and long

Thank you for the information. I am saving all this data to avoid the same situation that happen with Eagleraptor. Disappointed

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 02-24-2020

(02-24-2020, 09:39 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 01:14 AM)Hello Wrote: 158 KG? That's very small for a captive Amur.IMO captive average amur 190-200 kg Biggest 250+ anyways he's a good looking boy

I think that they made a mistake in the email, probably the figure is 185 kg, still low but more in the line for an adult male. Maybe @Shadow can clarify this with them.

I can ask again, it´s possible. That 158 kg felt quite little for me too. Unless he is with very small frame. Otherwise from tigers I´ve been able to check, lightest male have been 183 kg if I remember right. Most have been clearly over 200 kg.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Dennis - 02-25-2020

(02-24-2020, 01:14 AM)Hello Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 09:13 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 07:39 PM)Hello Wrote: 273 kg fit Siberian Gamin

*This image is copyright of its original author

I moved that posting here since your posting seemed to be focused to weight. And what comes to Gamin, that weight isn´t clear. This is what from the zoo (Marwell Wildlife) was told, screenshot in posting #333 in this thread.

"our carnivores’ team have advised me the following:

We don’t have any carnivore staff that worked with Gamin, so we can only go by our limited records. We had 2 weights for him, 2011 – 200kg and 2012 – 217kg. In the wild Amur tigers average between 150-200kg so this would have been around the expected weight.

If 273kg is correct he was probably considerably overweight. Our current male, Bagai, is 158kg and in the prime of his life. He is in very good condition and looks what like what you would expect of an Amur tiger."

When putting some figures, also sources would be very nice to see. We know, that there was a poster claiming such weight, but I have never seen anyone to show any real proof. I wrote to Marwell Wildlife and got that answer. Anyone can double check it easily. Naturally people can believe what they choose, but when publishing exact weights, some real source should be there. Otherwise people can post practically anything and put random weights, not good.

158 KG? That's very small for a captive Amur.IMO captive average amur 190-200 kg Biggest 250+ anyways he's a good looking boy

That is when he first arrived at the zoo, he looks like he is under 2 years old. Which is indeed correct.. this video says he was 17 months when he first came:

158 kg is probably how much he weighed when he was younger.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Pckts - 02-26-2020

Carolina Tiger Rescue
When you come for a tour, Caprichio Tiger will be happy to come up and say hello. He's our largest tiger at 489 lbs and he came to us in our biggest rescue to date, in 2016. He was used as a pay-to-pet cub, and would pose with patrons for photos. Early in life, he suffered from malnutrition and this big guy developed a bowed out leg.

Here you can see his malnourished legs 

Artist Eric Sweet
A perk of being part of the volunteer animal care team at Carolina Tiger Rescue...could not be more thankful! Special thanks to Caprichio the tiger, who at 490 pounds, laid peacefully (under anesthesia) as I shook his hand

and a video
Carolina Tiger Rescue
We talked about Caprichio Tiger, and his metabolic bone disease, which was caused by a lack of nutrition as a cub-petting cub. Some of you asked how this affected him. Here is a video of Caprichio's gait. You can see his back leg bows out.
Caprichio didn't receive proper nutrition as a cub, which caused soft bones. This is a very common issue with tigers who come from cub-petting facilties. Our on-site vet, Dr. Lassiter, examined Caprichio when he was rescued, and developed a comprehensive plan give him the best, most comfortable life he can have. His meals are whole-carcass raw meat, which gives Caprichio much-needed calcium and nutrient-dense marrow, similar to what a wild tiger would receive. He also gets supplements to help his joints, vitamins and a pool to help exercise those joints, without having to support his weight. Keepers monitor his movements on a daily basis, to ensure optimal quality of life.
When we agreed to give Caprichio a full life, no matter the cost. Animal care is expensive. It costs $300 per day to feed our cats. We rely on support from compassionate people like you to keep our doors open. Can you help support the cats?
Make a donation towards Caprichio's care: https://carolinatigerrescue.harnessapp.com/…/donati…/monthly

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Hello - 03-01-2020

I got Aslan's standing shoulder height ,115-120  probably the tallest lion since the tallest was 114 cm

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 03-01-2020

(03-01-2020, 12:50 PM)Hello Wrote: I got Aslan's standing shoulder height ,115-120  probably the tallest lion since the tallest was 114 cm

You got estimations, not measured information. I got from Kristiansand zoo biologist exact weights, in his prime 253 kg and then now at the moment 233 kg. Aslan is for sure big and estimations which you got can be quite close to reality as that weight estimation show, when comparing it to real weight. But his shoulder height has never been measured. As that reply which you got also show.

282 kg Kistora from Howletts,UK.Man on the left is Craig kennion at 5'11''

(03-01-2020, 01:54 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 12:50 PM)Hello Wrote: I got Aslan's standing shoulder height ,115-120  probably the tallest lion since the tallest was 114 cm

You got estimations, not measured information. I got from Kristiansand zoo biologist exact weights, in his prime 253 kg and then now at the moment 233 kg. Aslan is for sure big and estimations which you got can be quite close to reality as that weight estimation show, when comparing it to real weight. But his shoulder height has never been measured. As that reply which you got also show.

He was measured by @Pantherinae,see post#1349

(03-01-2020, 07:32 PM)Hello Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 01:54 PM)Shadow Wrote:

He was measured by @Pantherinae,see post#1349

No, no he wasn´t since zoo confirm 253 kg and biologist also say frankly, that he has never been measured what comes to shoulder height. I think, that @Pantherinae simply remembered wrong after some time. I´ve asked from him about shoulder height before.

Of course if there has been some unofficial weighing at some point. Anyway when we have here weights and measurements we have many claims. When talking about extreme weights and measurements people always get more critical. This has been discussed time to time and best way to avoid speculations is to get confirmations from more or less "official" sources. We are all here for some random visitors just "avatars", you, me and of course @Pantherinae too. So when someone say, that he or she has worked somewhere, that´s ok. But in reality who knows really? I could say, that I´m a biologist and no-one could be sure. So best way to avoid confusion and speculations is to treat all information equally. Can it be backed up and how?

I have learned that a lot of old information from well known posters have been vague and many times impossible to verify. Sometimes it has been incorrect too. @Pantherinae has shared good information and what comes to Aslan, difference between information from the zoo biologist was minimal. Something what can happen with time, when not remembering anymore exactly, but approximately. Someone could have even said, that Aslan was 255 kg even though result was 253 kg, people tend to round numbers time to time and of course 2 kg in that level is meaningless. 

In some other cases then differences have been even huge. I personally, when some information is from some poster and reasoning is "I say so", double check. If that is impossible, then I count such claim to "rumor class". Everyone are free to choose whom they believe or not. Now you had this Kistora. Source is, let me guess, that Kennion who then wasn´t after all same person as this eagleraptor? Anyway only source is this person? Or has the zoo given any information too?

I believe he is over 115 cm considering he is a giant framed cat without being obese.A cat at 100 cm over 250 kg is overweight.What if he was measured by co workers despite the biologist.

Kistora is also impressive in size compared to man at 5'11''

Well, what comes to Aslan, I haven´t seen anyone to claim, that his shoulder height would have been measured. There we have estimations, who knows. When we go to "maybe department", there we have space. 

That is why I´m interested to know more always. With Aslan we at least are in very close range, when zoo biologist had in their records almost same weight which was told here before. Then again this Kistora... he was supposed to have been at Howletts Wild Animal Park or? 

Imo,  when weights are told, then there should be also name of the tiger and in which zoo. Otherwise information doesn´t stand critical view in any place really. We can´t demand quality only from some information and allow vague claims to be posted at the same time as we would be talking about confirmed facts.

So we have now name for Kistora and zoo, interesting to see do they confirm his weight. I didn´t find tiger with that name when looking at it briefly, but maybe he has been there after all or was it some other zoo maybe?

All in all, nothing wrong in estimations, when they are clearly told to be that, like what comes to shoulder height of Aslan. But when posting exact measurements and weights, then it´s a different story. Questions usually arise.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Kingtheropod - 03-02-2020

I would be careful with the standing height, because that's definitely just an estimate.

Addis Ababa Zoo lions were estimated to have a shoulder height of 110 cm, but when they were actually measured they averaged only 89 cm in height.

Remember, the mane can have a false impression of height

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Kingtheropod - 03-02-2020

(03-01-2020, 04:24 PM)Hello Wrote: 282 kg Kistora from Howletts,UK.Man on the left is Craig kennion at 5'11''

That tigers shoulder height is surpassing that mans belly button height.  shocked shocked shocked

He must be at least 44 inches at the shoulder. I'm around that height, and judging from my own measurements that would put that tigers height in the 44-46 inche range.