WildFact
Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Captive & Domesticated Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-captive-domesticated-animals)
+--- Thread: Captive Lion and Tiger weights (/topic-captive-lion-and-tiger-weights)

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Gkumar - 02-11-2020

A White lion 220kg from kevin richardson wildlife sanctuary, heaviest lion there is another white lion named gandalf who weighs 250kg.

I edited this so, that video is functional. Staff member talks about weights from 3:19 forward. -Shadow

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Gkumar - 02-11-2020

Thick lion, anbody can estimate weight?

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 02-11-2020

What comes to different places and weights of captive animals, I personally don´t give value for private owners and to weights what they say in social media etc. They can exaggerate weights from various reasons either on purpose or simply because they have no idea really. 

Personally I´m interested in zoos, which are members of WAZA, EAZA or some other international or at least national organizations and have educated professionals taking care of animals, real veterinarians, biologists and zookeepers. These zoos are often also participating to conservation programs and are managed in responsible way.

I find it odd, that when in wild scientific records show, that average weights (males) of the biggest cats are around 200-220 kg and then in captivity weights variate quite a lot (WAZA, EAZA etc.) in between 180-250 kg, then private owners seem to have here and there 300+ kg big cats :) Of course some of those amateur owners overfeed their pets and/or feed them with food, which isn´t best possible for big cats causing obesity.

This posting of @Pckts is one good example. Some person tells, that he has 340 kg tiger, but in photos it looks just one big tiger, same kind as many others, which are known to be around 220-250 kg. I don´t believe that it is 340 kg, I guess that 100 kg too much in it and 240 kg is closer to the reality. If it would look like obese tiger I would think differently. That lion, Elvis then again looks to be clearly overweight, he actually looks more like a big cat which could be approximately 300 kg, but who knows, could be less too. If just one day some of these private owners would do weighing so, that some independent and well known biologist would be there observing, but I don´t hold my breath while waiting it to happen Wink

Everyone can of course choose what they believe, but I take seriously only... should I say professional zoos. Like those which are members in following or similar organizations:

https://www.waza.org/members/waza-members/

https://www.eaza.net/members/

https://www.aza.org/about-us

etc.

I asked again about Gamin from Marwell Wildlife and if they could tell anything more and if they think, that Gamin could have been 273 kg at some point, here is the reply:

"Good Afternoon, thanks for your message! In 2011/2012 Gamin would have been 13/14 years old. Unfortunately, I'm unsure who the vet would have been at the time. The weights previously given by our carnivores' team were accurate as far as our documents show and he was with us from 2002 - 2012, so it is very unlikely he would have ever weighed so much. We hope this helps!"

Screenshot attached.

(02-11-2020, 10:27 AM)Gkumar Wrote: Thick lion, anbody can estimate weight?

My guess would be something in between 200-230 kg, he looks like quite big. Naturally he could be less or more, at least I can´t make any accurate estimation and feel too confident with this kind of video with nothing good to compare with.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Gkumar - 02-12-2020

(02-11-2020, 09:27 PM)Shadow Wrote:

My guess would be something in between 200-230 kg, he looks like quite big. Naturally he could be less or more, at least I can´t make any accurate estimation and feel too confident with this kind of video with nothing good to compare with.
I think this the lion that PCKTS posted i an another thread, which he said weighed 570lbs, PCKTS can confirm this.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Hello - 02-12-2020

That's Bakari from lions,tigers,bears and he weighs 520 currently according to @Pckts

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Pckts - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 08:00 AM)Gkumar Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 09:27 PM)Shadow Wrote:

I think this the lion that PCKTS posted i an another thread, which he said weighed 570lbs, PCKTS can confirm this.

*This image is copyright of its original author
 I thought it was 550lbs but I'm not positive anymore.
But he's not a big cat in terms of frame size but he was robust and overweight 
They had a white Lion there that was much larger than him in frame but was more lean and he was 500lbs according to them.
They also had 2 Tigers which they said both were 500lbs so my guess is that they're probably estimating weights but who knows for sure.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 02-13-2020

I wrote and asked about lion Gandalf, who lives in the Kevin Richardson´s Wildlife Sanctuary. I asked if they had actually weighed him at some point and if he was 250 kg as is mentioned time to time. Here text from reply:

"Thank you for your email and kind words.

We had a mass dentist procedure for the animals at the sanctuary with Fixodent a few years back and they weighed the cats then so Ghandi is our biggest for sure"

I asked after this one more time specifically if Gandalf is legit 250 kg lion and reply was:

"Hi Yes, it is true and he is well. Thanks"

This video is from that dental operation, interesting to watch overall. Same video which I shared also in big cat vocalization thread, because this includes some snarling of really angry lion.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Pckts - 02-13-2020

(02-13-2020, 01:25 AM)Shadow Wrote: I wrote and asked about lion Gandalf, who lives in the Kevin Richardson´s Wildlife Sanctuary. I asked if they had actually weighed him at some point and if he was 250 kg as is mentioned time to time. Here text from reply:

We had a mass dentist procedure for the animals at the sanctuary with Fixodent a few years back and they weighed the cats then so Ghandi is our biggest for sure"

I asked after this one more time specifically if Gandalf is legit 250 kg lion and reply was:

This video is from that dental operation, interesting to watch overall. Same video which I shared also in big cat vocalization thread, because this includes some snarling of really angry lion.

I wrote them a while back and they said their cats are between 190-210kg

(02-13-2020, 01:42 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 01:25 AM)Shadow Wrote: I wrote and asked about lion Gandalf, who lives in the Kevin Richardson´s Wildlife Sanctuary. I asked if they had actually weighed him at some point and if he was 250 kg as is mentioned time to time. Here text from reply:

Write again and ask specifically about Gandalf, quite odd if different answer because I asked directly if he really is 250 kg. I wrote to [email protected] 

(02-13-2020, 01:50 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Write again and ask specifically about Gandalf, it would be interesting to see what they say. I wrote to [email protected] .

Mandy Richardson <[email protected]>
Fri, Oct 14, 2016, 12:43 AM

to me

Dear 

Thank you for your interest shown in our lions.

Aslan’s operation was a success thank you and I am sure he is in a lot less pain having had his teeth repaired.

They were on average between 190 kg and heaviest if I recall was 210 kg.

No not really difference in the tawny vs white

Best Wishes,
Mandy

I spoke with Mandy, she said the heaviest was 210kg. 
Feel free to ask Mandy, that's his wife I believe.
It's the same email address

(02-13-2020, 01:51 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Write again and ask specifically about Gandalf, it would be interesting to see what they say. I wrote to [email protected] .

to me

Dear Jared,

Aslan’s operation was a success thank you and I am sure he is in a lot less pain having had his teeth repaired.

Best Wishes,
Mandy

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-are-white-tigers-lions-larger-than-normal-colored?highlight=white

Feel free to ask if Mandy, that's his wife I believe.

She replied to me too. But did you get reply after 2014 operation or 2015?

(02-13-2020, 01:55 AM)Shadow Wrote:

to me

Dear Jared,

Best Wishes,
Mandy

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-are-white-tigers-lions-larger-than-normal-colored?highlight=white

The response was from Oct. 2016

(02-13-2020, 01:56 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 01:55 AM)Shadow Wrote:

to me

Dear Jared,

Best Wishes,
Mandy

The response was from Oct. 2016

Ok, then I guess, that need to write once again. In her reply to you there is some uncertainty. I mean "if I recall" part. I asked now twice very directly if Gandalf is really 250 kg, but since there is so big contradiction, hopefully this can be clarified.