WildFact
Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Captive & Domesticated Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-captive-domesticated-animals)
+--- Thread: Captive Lion and Tiger weights (/topic-captive-lion-and-tiger-weights)

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 02-03-2020

I got today reply from Kristiansand zoo concerning lion Aslan. 

His highest recorded weight was 253 kg, in August 2015. Now at the moment, as an old lion, his weight is still 233 kg. They haven´t ever measured his shoulder height or body length, they just said, that he is truly a big lion :)

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Hello - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 07:55 PM)Shadow Wrote: I got today reply from Kristiansand zoo concerning lion Aslan. 

His highest recorded weight was 253 kg, in August 2015. Now at the moment, as an old lion, his weight is still 233 kg. They haven´t ever measured his shoulder height or body length, they just said, that he is truly a big lion :)

According to @Pantherinae  260 kg is the peak while 252 is the lowest

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 02-03-2020

(02-03-2020, 08:08 PM)Hello Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 07:55 PM)Shadow Wrote: I got today reply from Kristiansand zoo concerning lion Aslan. 

This is from the Kristiansand zoo biologist.:

"Thank you for your e-mail. Yes, Aslan is a big cat. The highest weight we have recorded is 253 kg in august 2015. We have never measured his shoulder height or body length. At the moment Aslan is 233 kg."

Memory can make tricks after some time, when remembering just something like 250-260 kg, but as you can see, this biologist has checked things. I asked also specifically what is the highest weight of Aslan, which they confirm. If there have been some unofficial weighings, impossible for me to say. Maybe they have discussed in the zoo, that he might have been that much at some point, but never weighed. Pity that they haven´t measured his other dimensions, I suggested, that if they in some way could.... :)

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Hello - 02-04-2020

(02-03-2020, 09:08 PM)Shadow Wrote:

"Thank you for your e-mail. Yes, Aslan is a big cat. The highest weight we have recorded is 253 kg in august 2015. We have never measured his shoulder height or body length. At the moment Aslan is 233 kg."

Memory can make tricks after some time, when remembering just something like 250-260 kg, but as you can see, this biologist has checked things. I asked also specifically what is the highest weight of Aslan, which they confirm. If there have been some unofficial weighings, impossible for me to say. Maybe they have discussed in the zoo, that he might have been that much at some point, but never weighed. Pity that they haven´t measured his other dimensions, I suggested, that if they in some way could.... :)
Yes I agree,he may have weighed 260 kg in his prime.He was weighed 253 at 2015(born 2004 september) which means he has passed his prime.Big cats tend to lose weight after 7

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 02-04-2020

(02-04-2020, 01:08 PM)Hello Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 09:08 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Yes I agree,he may have weighed 260 kg in his prime.He was weighed 253 at 2015(born 2004 september) which means he has passed his prime.Big cats tend to lose weight after 7

I was speculating concerning it, that how that 260 kg might be result of memory making tricks, not that Aslan would have been that much. When he was 7, he was weighed to be 252 kg. This 253 kg was heaviest result from his weighings during the years, so from known weights his all time peak weight. That´s why it´s highly unlikely think, that he would have been more than it in his normal condition. I don´t know where is said, that big cats would lose weight after 7 years old, they are in that age naturally in their prime, but so are 8-9 years old big cats too. 

Naturally any big cat, which has been weighed to be so heavy as 200-250 kg might be at some day a few kg more or less. But when we compare Aslan to other big cats, which have been weighed now we have from zoo "official" weight and that is 253 kg. Not 240 or 260. That can be double checked by anyone.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Rage2277 - 02-06-2020

RE: Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity - Hello - 02-09-2020

273 kg fit Siberian Gamin

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 02-09-2020

(02-09-2020, 07:09 PM)Hello Wrote: 273 kg fit Siberian Gamin

I moved that posting here since your posting seemed to be focused to weight. And what comes to Gamin, that weight isn´t clear. This is what from the zoo (Marwell Wildlife) was told, screenshot in posting #333 in this thread.

"our carnivores’ team have advised me the following:

We don’t have any carnivore staff that worked with Gamin, so we can only go by our limited records. We had 2 weights for him, 2011 – 200kg and 2012 – 217kg. In the wild Amur tigers average between 150-200kg so this would have been around the expected weight.

If 273kg is correct he was probably considerably overweight. Our current male, Bagai, is 158kg and in the prime of his life. He is in very good condition and looks what like what you would expect of an Amur tiger."

When putting some figures, also sources would be very nice to see. We know, that there was a poster claiming such weight, but I have never seen anyone to show any real proof. I wrote to Marwell Wildlife and got that answer. Anyone can double check it easily. Naturally people can believe what they choose, but when publishing exact weights, some real source should be there. Otherwise people can post practically anything and put random weights, not good.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Gkumar - 02-10-2020

Two 220 kg lions from zion wildlife gardens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvGfBmu1FL8.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Hello - 02-10-2020

@Shadow,I believe he is over 270+ kg because he easily dwarfs his son Zambar (180 kg ) about 70-80 kg + Craig kennion aka Eagleraptor is a big cat keeper with an experience of 18+ years.He seems to be a large framed tiger.In his prime he may have weighed 270 kg.Here is a comparison with his son

His fb page says Gamin is around 276 kg.Here is some detailed information regarding tiger numbers and tigers he weighed (one of them weighed 277 kg ,impressive :)
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/animalsversesanimals/tigers-i-look-after-plus-stud-book-numbers-weights-t411.html

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Hello - 02-10-2020

@Shadow ,Here is a comparison between Gamin and a man,he is a big boy

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 02-10-2020

(02-10-2020, 07:13 PM)Hello Wrote: @Shadow ,Here is a comparison between Gamin and a man,he is a big boy

That photo isn´t good to use in comparison. Tiger is in front and that guy can be meters away. Typical photo making anything in front to look bigger than whatever is behind. Any tiger is easy to make look like huge with that kind of photos. Handsome tiger though.

I´ve also seen what this Kennion has written, but as far as I understood, he haven´t been weighing for instance Gamin. So has that 600 lbs been in reality an estimation or something what someone can confirm as really weighed? I find it very odd, that a tiger weighing 273 kg would lose just like that 55-70 kg of his weight, unless very sick. For instance lion Aslan has lost only 20 kg from his prime and he is now quite old lion. In zoos these animals get food every day and medical treatment if something is wrong, so their weight shouldn´t change in dramatic ways unless something really is wrong. 

Interesting tiger, I´m curious if there is something more to be found out. I´ve made some new queries concerning Gamin, if I find out something more I´ll of course share that information. This Kennion seems to be ok, but maybe there has been a mistake somewhere and he has got wrong information. Those weights which I got are after all from the zoo records.

I know that I´m skeptical to the point, that some might find it irritating. But I´ve found even from here, wildfact, one fabricated "scientifical research". (Another one too 99,9% sure, I haven´t got answer from university yet) It was made to look like real study concerning bear strength giving amazing results, quite good one. But there were elements which started to look very odd when looking closer and when I wrote to university and mentioned in it, they seemed to be amused. They told, that names of "professors" (Russian names) were like some comedy characters and not real names. For them that was obvious, but for people not from Russia they looked quite ok :)

So when I seek for source, I´m not seeking a poster who says something, but something solid what can be double checked. Now source is practically hearsay shared by this Kennion. Even though he seems to be ok and doing his best to share good information. 

All in all, for me Gamin is still unclear "case" and I need more to be able to believe that he has been much more than 220-230 kg at some point.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Pckts - 02-11-2020

He says Apollo, his Amur Tiger is 340kg in the # on the picture below

And Elvis, his White Lion is over 300kg

Regardless if they're confirmed or not, he has some big cats.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 02-11-2020

(02-11-2020, 02:19 AM)Pckts Wrote: He says Apollo, his Amur Tiger is 340kg in the # on the picture below

And Elvis, his White Lion is over 300kg

Regardless if they're confirmed or not, he has some big cats.

At least Elvis has been there, when food available.... Wink Looking to be big lion otherwise too, who knows. Places like this are difficult, but at least animals seem to be in relatively good shape even though Elvis would for sure survive with a little bit less food.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 02-11-2020

Here one interesting video concerning Zambar, son of Gamin. At approximately 0:15 zookeeper says, that he is "just under 250 kg´s". I´ve seen somewhere mentioned, that Zambar was 236 kg (I´m not 100% sure about exact number, but it was something in between 230-240 kg and I´m 70% sure, that 236).

I haven´t got yet reply from Blackpool zoo, but I find this interesting. First, if I remember right and he has been weighed 236 kg, then this zookeeper could use expression "just under 250 kg´s" based on that weight. And a good example how easily an animal can gain weight in discussions just like that. Then again, maybe he has been weighed to be more, like 245-249 kg before this was recorded, I don´t know. That´s why I find it good to ask from zoos to get some clear answers.