WildFact
Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Captive & Domesticated Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-captive-domesticated-animals)
+--- Thread: Captive Lion and Tiger weights (/topic-captive-lion-and-tiger-weights)

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - GuateGojira - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 04:58 PM)Shadow Wrote: @Pantherinae  Above is what I found out about Yeltsin. And in this one I was kind of lucky because I contacted Walter zoo in two ways at the same time because I wasn´t sure how I could get reply faster. And then I got two replies with big contradiction, one reply was, that he was 270 kg and I assumed, that he had been weighed (I forgot to ask it specifically) and another reply told, that 270 kg sounds exaggeration and closer  to 200 kg is more realistic.

That´s why I then asked again, that how come I can get from same place two so different replies and then I got explanation from curator of that zoo, which is above. A good reminder about it, that when asking it´s good to make clear questions so, that answers are then also clear and tell how it is. 

When knowing how young Yeltsin was when transferred that 270 kg felt odd, but now knowing that is was just an estimation from someone it´s more understandable. In that one photo (standing on hind legs) he looks big, but in others which I´ve seen he isn´t looking that impressive... as usual in photos perspective can have some role.

@GuateGojira  when you are online,  see this information, it took some time, but now there it is.

Thank you for the information. So, no real figure. Disappointed

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 09:06 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 04:58 PM)Shadow Wrote: @Pantherinae  Above is what I found out about Yeltsin. And in this one I was kind of lucky because I contacted Walter zoo in two ways at the same time because I wasn´t sure how I could get reply faster. And then I got two replies with big contradiction, one reply was, that he was 270 kg and I assumed, that he had been weighed (I forgot to ask it specifically) and another reply told, that 270 kg sounds exaggeration and closer  to 200 kg is more realistic.

That´s why I then asked again, that how come I can get from same place two so different replies and then I got explanation from curator of that zoo, which is above. A good reminder about it, that when asking it´s good to make clear questions so, that answers are then also clear and tell how it is. 

When knowing how young Yeltsin was when transferred that 270 kg felt odd, but now knowing that is was just an estimation from someone it´s more understandable. In that one photo (standing on hind legs) he looks big, but in others which I´ve seen he isn´t looking that impressive... as usual in photos perspective can have some role.

@GuateGojira  when you are online,  see this information, it took some time, but now there it is.

Thank you for the information. So, no real figure. Disappointed

Nope, as so often before it became obvious that when seeing something written in media caution is needed. I guess, that especially when figures are printed to round numbers like 200, 240, 270, 300... When really weighed, figures tend to be something like 217, 253, 261 etc. and only seldom exactly 210 or 250 etc.  

All in all good to know. I try to get information also from the zoo he was transferred, maybe they have weighed him, who knows. But I haven´t seen any articles about him. @Lycaon  maybe you could check a bit if something is said somewhere, he lived in Braunschweig zoo rest of his life. Maybe some German media has written something about him later?

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Lycaon - 01-18-2020

@Shadow  so I should check for a tiger called yeltsin at the Braunschweiger zoo correct?

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 01-18-2020

(01-18-2020, 09:23 PM)Lycaon Wrote: @Shadow  so I should check for a tiger called yeltsin at the Braunschweiger zoo correct?

If you have time to briefly see if there is something in German language. His name can be written either Yeltsin or Jelzin and yes, that zoo. I have asked from the zoo, but no reply yet from there.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Lycaon - 01-18-2020

Ok will check.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Lycaon - 01-19-2020

@Shadow 

So far in my search I have found no info on weight and measurements sadly.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 01-19-2020

(01-19-2020, 12:03 AM)Lycaon Wrote: @Shadow 

So far in my search I have found no info on weight and measurements sadly.

I guessed, that it would be the result. I´ve tried myself and there wasn´t anything I could find. Some articles, but since I´m not paying to see sites of German newspapers, I couldn´t read all the text. Hopefully Braunschweig zoo replies at some point. I think, that they had some fire recently so it might take some time until they have time.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 01-30-2020

This attached photo might be such, that not all recognizing tigers in it. It would be interesting to see how good estimations about the weight? Of course if someone knows these tigers, then weight is easy to check Wink

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Pckts - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020, 10:15 PM)Shadow Wrote: This attached photo might be such, that not all recognizing tigers in it. It would be interesting to see how good estimations about the weight? Of course if someone knows these tigers, then weight is easy to check Wink

Pictures are blurry on my end for some reason but they don't look too large, I'm guessing 180kg for the male and 110kg for the female.

(01-30-2020, 10:35 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 10:15 PM)Shadow Wrote: This attached photo might be such, that not all recognizing tigers in it. It would be interesting to see how good estimations about the weight? Of course if someone knows these tigers, then weight is easy to check Wink

Pictures are blurry on my end for some reason but they don't look too large, I'm guessing 180kg for the male and 110kg for the female.

Yeah, they are a bit blurry, partially on purpose, partially because source isn´t the best possible. Nice to see, that someone dared to try, I´ll give soon weights. It would be nice if someone else would dare to try too, like @Hello ... Wink

I´ll have to be off for an hour or so, but anyone wanting to see how difficult or easy it´s to estimate weights from photos... or to see how lucky in guessing, check posting #353 Wink  I´ll put information after I´m back and can use laptop again.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 01-31-2020

Looks like no will to make estimations now or maybe many are too afraid to try... Only one other than pckts made a guess privately and that was 213 kg for male tiger. I myself, when I saw that tiger first in the documentary thought, that he might be approximately 200 kg, maybe a bit less but not more. @Pckts was closest with 180 kg and also made right conclusion from a bit blurry photo, that not so big tiger.

Male tiger in those two photos was Sultan from Dreamworld and at that time still young, 22 months old. If you listen the interview from 6:35 to 6:50 zookeeper tells, that Sultan weighs a little bit over 150 kg. Later at 7:12 there is a table with weights of these tigers and Sultan has there marking 145 kg. So safe to say, 145-150 kg.

I attach screenshot from 6:42, I dare to assume, that very many people when seeing that would say, that he has to be at least 200 kg. Another screenshot is from 7:12 and there is that table with weights. Weight of that tigress Sita seems to be 117 or maybe that is 119 kg, a bit difficult to see clearly.

I put also third photo, just to show how different this same tiger, Sultan, can look when he moves just a bit. Looking almost like not the same animal at all.... I added one earlier photo from that playing around with tigress.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Pckts - 01-31-2020

(01-31-2020, 01:36 AM)Shadow Wrote: Looks like no will to make estimations now or maybe many are too afraid to try... Only one other than pckts made a guess privately and that was 213 kg for male tiger. I myself, when I saw that tiger first in the documentary thought, that he might be approximately 200 kg, maybe a bit less but not more. @Pckts was closest with 180 kg and also made right conclusion from a bit blurry photo, that not so big tiger.

Male tiger in those two photos was Sultan from Dreamworld and at that time still young, 22 months old. If you listen the interview from 6:35 to 6:50 zookeeper tells, that Sultan weighs a little bit over 150 kg. Later at 7:12 there is a table with weights of these tigers and Sultan has there marking 145 kg. So safe to say, 145-150 kg.

I attach screenshot from 6:42, I dare to assume, that very many people when seeing that would say, that he has to be at least 200 kg. Another screenshot is from 7:12 and there is that table with weights. Weight of that tigress Sita seems to be 117 or maybe that is 119 kg, a bit difficult to see clearly.

I put also third photo, just to show how different this same tiger, Sultan, can look when he moves just a bit. Looking almost like not the same animal at all.... I added one earlier photo from that playing around with tigress.

And him as a 200kg Male for comparison

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Shadow - 01-31-2020

I forgot, here is the documentary, this is more about animal trainers and training, but since this is source for those weights I mentioned, I put it here. Worth watching if any interest to see different kind of trainers and places etc.

RE: Captive Lion and Tiger weights - Hello - 02-03-2020

550 lb Jahari
http://gooberssfzoofriends.blogspot.com/2009/06/jahari.html
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/22/sf-zoo-jaharis-bellowing-roar-has-been-silenced/