WildFact
Leopards of Sabi Sands - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Leopard (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-leopard)
+----- Thread: Leopards of Sabi Sands (/topic-leopards-of-sabi-sands)

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Tonpa - 04-04-2022

(04-04-2022, 10:50 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 09:11 PM)Luipaard Wrote: I too heard reports of a male leopard in the area. Probably ambushed.

Why would male leopard attack her in that way? I mean she doesnt have cubs currently to defend. 

Isnt a lion attack more likely?

Seems to be a bit different with Leopards compared to Lions. In 2016 Tingana stalked, killed and ate a sexually mature female leopard called Xiluva

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Tr1x24 - 04-04-2022

(04-04-2022, 11:18 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Seems to be a bit different with Leopards compared to Lions. In 2016 Tingana stalked, killed and ate a sexually mature female leopard called Xiluva

I mean there was cases even in lions where males randomly kill new female they encounter, just like in this Tingana example, behavior which we cant explain exactly 100%.

Some say that Thandi death might be hunting accident.

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Duco Ndona - 04-05-2022

Well. Peaceful it may not have been. I hope she at least didn't suffer needlessly. 

New males often seek to assert their dominance over any females in their territory.
If they are still young, they also may not fully understand the rules of courting or interacting with other leopards in general. 
It may have been just that.

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Luipaard - 04-05-2022

(04-04-2022, 10:50 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 09:11 PM)Luipaard Wrote: I too heard reports of a male leopard in the area. Probably ambushed.

Why would male leopard attack her in that way? I mean she doesnt have cubs currently to defend. 

Isnt a lion attack more likely?

Lions are possible as well I don't see why not. All I heard is that there was a male leopard as well in the area so the male is in my opinion no.1 suspect. Male leopards are a threat to both female leopard and her cub(s) unless it's the father/dominant male.

Abstracts from the study Intraspecific killing among Leopards (Panthera pardus) in Iran (Mammalia: Felidae):

Quote:In Africa, intraspecific strife among adult and sub-adult leopards is common. It is the predominant documented cause of mortality among female leopards in protected areas of southern Africa (43% of  cause-specific records; Swanepoel et al., 2015). The main causes of aggression between female Leopards appear to be competition for food resources (Balme & Hunter, 2004) and increased rates of encounter between unfamiliar individuals due to high turnover and thus immigration (Balme et al., 2009).

Quote:Steyn and Funston (2009) noted an adult male leopard reportedly killing and consuming three adult female leopards in Botswana’s Tuli block. Similarly, a male leopard killed a subadult female in Londolozi Private Game Reserve, South Africa (Hes, 1991). A female leopard was also killed by an adult male leopard on South Africa’s Phinda private game reserve in 2012 (A. Braczkowski, pers. comm.).

Last thing I want is human involvement as the cause of her death like you mentioned. Obviously you want a natural death but if that isn't the case, at least let it be part of nature unlike Hukumuri's death for example.

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Luipaard - 04-05-2022

From Arathusa Safari Lodge:

"As many of you have now heard, Arathusa guides found our beloved leopard, Thandi, on Saturday morning with a large wound on her chest. We do not know how it was inflicted.

We checked in on her after our drive on Monday, and were devastated to find her lifeless body at the Boerbean open area. She had unfortunately succumbed to her injury."

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Tonpa - 04-07-2022

Some more details from Arathusa, quite a mystery 

"We appreciate the sentiments of many of our friends on this group, and for the sake of clarity we wanted to provide the sequence of events that lead to us finding Thandi dead on Monday.
On Saturday, an injured leopard to the east of the lodge was reported. Our team went out to investigate. The area was closed off to game drives to avoid stressing the animal. When we found Thandi on Saturday in the Boerbean open area - a small clearing surrounded by dense vegetation in a drainage line - she was mobile and capable of climbing a tree.
*Note: Our original post yesterday incorrectly indicated the Boerbean open area was where she was found on Monday. This was not the case.  
As to the exact cause of the wound, although some of our community indicated that another operator in the area had reported a sighting, we were not privy to it and do not have any insight as to how her injury was sustained.
On Sunday, despite our efforts to locate her, we were unsuccessful.
On Monday morning we sent an armed team on foot to look for Thandi, as the vegetation was too dense to navigate with a vehicle. This search eventually led us to her lifeless body – quite a considerable distance from where she was originally found.
In respect of the cycle of nature in the wild, Thandi’s body was left undisturbed as an integral part of the eco-system. Such is the law in nature – ‘From the earth we come, and to the earth we shall return’.
We hope this gives a little more insight into the sequence of events in respect of our actions taken between Saturday and Monday."

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Tonpa - 04-08-2022

By MrsZero 

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Gabriele - 04-09-2022

(03-10-2022, 07:39 PM)Tonpa Wrote: The Maribye male 

Very nice boy

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - sundarbans - 04-09-2022

I just saw that the Leopards of Londolozi site has listed the Makhotini/Maxabene male as deceased. Does anyone know how he died?

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Tonpa - 04-11-2022

(04-09-2022, 10:46 PM)sundarbans Wrote: I just saw that the Leopards of Londolozi site has listed the Makhotini/Maxabene male as deceased. Does anyone know how he died?

I think he just went nomadic and disappeared

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Tonpa - 04-11-2022

Tlangisas Male cub 

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Tonpa - 04-12-2022

Maribye doing well as a new fully independent leopard 

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Tonpa - 04-12-2022

Maribye Tree'd by Blondie Avoca

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Tr1x24 - 04-14-2022

Hey guys, im not that much knowledgeable on leopards as on lions, i mean i follow them occasionaly. 

My question is, is it possible to make entire map of leopards in Sabi Sabi?? 

I mean, some areas are quite well covered with reports such as northern Sabi Sands, western Sabi Sands, Londolozi and parts of MalaMala, but do we have enough info from southern parts (Kirkmans Camp, Lion Sands, Southern MalaMala) to do so??

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Tonpa - 04-14-2022

(04-14-2022, 06:18 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Hey guys, im not that much knowledgeable on leopards as on lions, i mean i follow them occasionaly. 

My question is, is it possible to make entire map of leopards in Sabi Sabi?? 

I mean, some areas are quite well covered with reports such as northern Sabi Sands, western Sabi Sands, Londolozi and parts of MalaMala, but do we have enough info from southern parts (Kirkmans Camp, Lion Sands, Southern MalaMala) to do so??

Panthera makes maps but unfortunately they are only available to rangers or their friends. I managed to get my hands on an old version but not much should have changed. A few leopards have died and few more have become territorial