WildFact
Leopards of Sabi Sands - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Leopard (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-leopard)
+----- Thread: Leopards of Sabi Sands (/topic-leopards-of-sabi-sands)

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Ngala - 10-13-2016

Anderson male, credits to Lisa Widmer White.

*This image is copyright of its original author

"Anderson with his warthog kill with Safari Live on our sunset drive 10-11-16." Credits to Elin Fowler.

"Mr. Anderson hoisting his Warthog kill Sunset Safari 10/11/2016." Credits to Laura Black.

"Anderson Male seen on Arathusa with Brent Leo-smith and safariLIVE." Credits to Lyss Lapa.

"Mr. Anderson - WildEarth Sunset Safari, Arathusa Safari Lodge. 11 Oct 2016" Credits to Agnes Zsiga.

Anderson male, credits to Nkorho Rangers from Nkorho Bush Lodge.
11 October (Afternoon): Anderson male leopard was found around a warthog kill. He was resting on a termite mound for some time before he started feeding again.
12 October (Morning): Anderson was still around his kill.

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Pantherinae - 10-13-2016

Anderson male hoisting his kill. 

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Pckts - 10-13-2016

A big male warthog like that is quite the kill, he's impressive.

(10-13-2016, 07:56 AM)Pckts Wrote: A big male warthog like that is quite the kill, he's impressive.

I think it's a large female warthog. Still huge 100 pounds or so.

I doubt it, males usually have those large tusks.
Saw very few females with decent sized tusks and any warthog with tusks that large is a large individual and likely male.

@Pckts this warthog has such long tusks that it gotta be an adult and I can see that this warthog lacks the enlonged bulks pointing out on the cheeks, which males do have. And female warthogs can have long tusks look at this girl 

Trust me, females don't have long tusks like that usually. They have long tusks for females but not usually comparable to the males I saw, not even close.
You can see a cow cape with big horns but not the same as a male, it's the same with the warthogs I saw.
Also the bulk is usually a give away. Last is the narrator specifically says that carcass weighs more than a "specific persons name."

Checkout the male warthog photo I took from the crater, he was a big boy and certainly impressive for a leopard to kill but definitely with in the leopards capabilities.

But I'm still 99% sure that warthog is a female, a huge female! Great photo btw @Pckts what a beast, you must have had a great time down there!

Edit: I just watched the full safari live episode, ranger in the vid said it was a large female. I can post later ?

You're right he does say that is a "big female warthog" but males do have much larger tusks than females even if you saw this one next to a male you'd be able to see the difference it's just hard to tell from the video angle but when watching the episode and the warthog flips on to its belly you get a good shot of it can see the smaller buldges on its skull, but the tusks and size are impressive for a female. I knew it had to be a large warthog either way with tusks like that.

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Spalea - 10-13-2016

@Pantherinae:

About #408: Always quite fascinating to see the leopard's strength. The quickness to haul up a prey probably heavier than him into the branches of a big tree... Quite astonishing !

Anderson male, from WildEarth Sunrise Safari, Arathusa Game Lodge. 12 Oct 2016, Credits to Lily Brown.

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Ngala - 10-14-2016

From Tintswalo safari Lodge:
"The afternoon of the 7th, the young Ntsuntsu male leopard was located on wilderness rd moving to the West, every now and then stopping for a quick nap on a termite mound."

"On the morning of the 9th, the prince of the Manyeleti, Rhulani male leopard was found just north of the lodge. He walked casually from termite mound to termite mound seeking his his next meal. The afternoon, Rhulani was found napping on Ingwemanzi’s damwall, he moved about 1km to the East from his last position in the morning."

RE: Leopards of Sabi Sands - Tshokwane - 10-14-2016

Chitwa Chitwa Private Game Lodge:

We were lucky enough to catch up with Anderson (male leopard) on drive this morning. He was out on territorial patrol and kept us busy for quite some time before we managed to locate him. When we found him he was resting under a tree, with the days being as hot as they are at the moment there is a good chance that he will still be close to the area this afternoon. We want to go back and see if we can't view him whilst he is marking his territory. Salaexe was also not to far from where we left him, maybe we might even get to see the two of them together. One can only hope.