WildFact
the Selati coalition - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: the Selati coalition (/topic-the-selati-coalition)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: the Selati coalition - afortich - 10-02-2022

(10-02-2022, 12:28 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 10:44 PM)afortich Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 09:08 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 08:54 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 05:27 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 05:13 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Leopard Hills, December 6, 2013
"One of the Selati males keeps an eye on the herd of Buffalo close by, while his brothers take a nap!"
Selati no.1 keep an eye on the herd while Selati no.3 & no.4 take a nap

*This image is copyright of its original author

"The Selati males have been mating with one of the Othawa females for the last couple of days."

Othawa female & Selati male no.3

"One of the Selati males is still mating with the Othawa female."
Selati no.3 mating with the Othawa female

The boss

I have been learning a lot about this coalition of late, due to your posts, so that you for that! For instance, I was always of the impression that the 5th was killed by the Majins after the killing of Mr. T, so I am glad I now have a more clear understanding of what actually transpired with these boys. I know they unfortunately had a really short reign, are there any of their cubs still living today?
As far as i am concerned, they sired 2 Ximughve lionesses at their time in Sabi Sand. After being dethroned by the Majingilane and losing Selati 3, the 2 remaining Selati (1 & 4) kept the nomadic path for a while until they became dominants of the Talamati pride, where they potentialy sired some females and 2 males which unfortunately disappeared in kruger.
Talamati young male, near Phabeni in March 2020

talamati young male

(also, i dont know if i got it wrong, but Selati 5 was killed before the Selatis kill Mr T, he was killed in 2011)

No, you didn't get it wrong as far as I know, I was the one who incorrectly interpreted things. I mistakenly thought the clash with the Majins happened after the Mapogos had been dethroned. This young male is one gorgeous boy, for sure.
5th Selati was killed by Mijingilane even before Majingilane killed Kinki-Tail.
thats actually not true, 5th Selati was killed in 2011 when the Majingilanes had already established themselves as dominant males, u can read more here in Selati vs Majingilane
You're right my friend. I am not trying to lie, I got confused with the time line.

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-02-2022

Inyati, April 29, 2013
"Male lion stole two impala kills from one of the leopards. Given only a few seconds the leopard (Nyeleti male) managed to claim one of his hard earned meals back and quickly put it up a tree."
The lion in the picture is Selati #3

another picture of the situation.

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-02-2022

(10-02-2022, 03:30 AM)afortich Wrote:
(10-02-2022, 12:28 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 10:44 PM)afortich Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 09:08 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 08:54 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 05:27 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 05:13 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Leopard Hills, December 6, 2013
"One of the Selati males keeps an eye on the herd of Buffalo close by, while his brothers take a nap!"
Selati no.1 keep an eye on the herd while Selati no.3 & no.4 take a nap

"The Selati males have been mating with one of the Othawa females for the last couple of days."

Othawa female & Selati male no.3

"One of the Selati males is still mating with the Othawa female."
Selati no.3 mating with the Othawa female

The boss

I have been learning a lot about this coalition of late, due to your posts, so that you for that! For instance, I was always of the impression that the 5th was killed by the Majins after the killing of Mr. T, so I am glad I now have a more clear understanding of what actually transpired with these boys. I know they unfortunately had a really short reign, are there any of their cubs still living today?
As far as i am concerned, they sired 2 Ximughve lionesses at their time in Sabi Sand. After being dethroned by the Majingilane and losing Selati 3, the 2 remaining Selati (1 & 4) kept the nomadic path for a while until they became dominants of the Talamati pride, where they potentialy sired some females and 2 males which unfortunately disappeared in kruger.
Talamati young male, near Phabeni in March 2020

talamati young male

(also, i dont know if i got it wrong, but Selati 5 was killed before the Selatis kill Mr T, he was killed in 2011)

No, you didn't get it wrong as far as I know, I was the one who incorrectly interpreted things. I mistakenly thought the clash with the Majins happened after the Mapogos had been dethroned. This young male is one gorgeous boy, for sure.
5th Selati was killed by Mijingilane even before Majingilane killed Kinki-Tail.
thats actually not true, 5th Selati was killed in 2011 when the Majingilanes had already established themselves as dominant males, u can read more here in Selati vs Majingilane
You're right my friend. I am not trying to lie, I got confused with time the line.

No problem, it happens

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-05-2022

Leopard Hills - Ranger's Report May 2013
"One of the Selati males was found mating with one of the Othawa females. The four boys were split up for most of the month, but when they came together again they made a Buffalo kill which kept them in one spot for almost four days. The Majingilane came into the Selati territory, but luckily they didn’t run into each other."
Selati 1

Selati 3

Selati  3 seems to have a small wound above his nose
(hopefully no one has posted this before, bc i recently found this)

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-08-2022

Inyati, April 6, 2012

"We had a brilliant morning following the Selati males hunting zebras today."

The leader Selati 2 in both pictures!

"This was taken at the same time this morning when following the hunting males."

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-10-2022

All 4 Selati male lions line up! Back at the time when they were all strong and fit, most likely around 2012. 
front to back: Selati 4 - Selati 2 - Selati 1 - Selati 3

Another photo that i find in the same website as this one above, probably at the same time, around 2012. 
Here we have the huge male no.1 in front, and at the back shaking the mane probably Selati 4 by the shape of the muzzle

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-13-2022

Back at 2013, the notorious Selati male no.3
This picture was taken at Idube Game Reserve and shows us the majesty of the Selati's at their peak, magnificent male lions, good looking and strong.

[s](behind S3 there is another Selati i couldn't identify!)[/s]

RE: the Selati coalition - BigLion39 - 10-13-2022

(10-13-2022, 08:36 AM)Ngonya Wrote: s](behind S3 there is another Selati i couldn't identify!)[/s]

Just curious, why do you and other write something then cross it out? What does it mean?

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-15-2022

The 4 Selati males on a mission!
lead by the notorious male no.3 and right behind him (front to back/left to right): Selati 2; Selati 1 & Selati 4
I believe this photo was taken around 2013 seeing that all males were with full manes and male no.2 was still alive.

photo credits: unknown
(also, I cross out words when I think they are not as important as the other text components)

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-16-2022

Females with cubs and the four Selati males in Sabi Sands
1:27 - Selati male resting in a shadow | 1:42 - another Selati male, this one resting inside the bushes
1:55 - The night falls and we see Selati 1 walking around till in 2:10 - he bonds with male no.3 and at 2:20 - he bonds with male no.4
3:16 - Magnificent Selati 2
3:48 - Selati 4 walks past the vehicle 
4:00 - Selati 3 walks around
4:13 - Selati 3 starts roaring!
4:46 - Selati 3 resting until he starts roaring along with other brother

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-19-2022

(10-15-2022, 04:52 AM)Ngonya Wrote: The 4 Selati males on a mission!
lead by the notorious male no.3 and right behind him (front to back/left to right): Selati 2; Selati 1 & Selati 4
I believe this photo was taken around 2013 seeing that all males were with full manes and male no.2 was still alive.

photo credits: unknown
(also, I cross out words when I think they are not as important as the other text components)
Another great picture of all 4 Selati males patrolling
left to right: Selati 4, right behind him male no.1, Selati 2 and Selati
all brothers looking fit and strong

photo possibly from the same period of the post cited

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-20-2022

The Selati males crossing the RiverBank
Lead by Selati no.4, all the brothers can be seen crossing the river, from left to right:
Selati 1 (height & dark mane) | Selati 3 (height, hip & dark mane) | Selati 2 (face & blonde mane) | Selati 4 (face & blonde mane)

First pic: Stephen O'Connor

left to right: 
Selati 3 (height, hip & dark mane) | Selati 2 (blonde mane) | Selati 4 (blonde mane) | Selati 1 (height dark mane)

Second pic: Unknown

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-21-2022

Selati 2 back in 2011 
At that time the Selati males were still nomads and followed the buffalo herds inside Sabi Sand. In mid 2011 the coalition suffer its first lost: their wandering through Sabi Sand brought them to the territory of the Majingilane Coalition. The results of that altercation between the two coalitions was the death of the youngest Selati male. 

Photo credits: Gabriela Gabrielarotezora Dietzsch

(In the facebook post that I found the photos says it's the Selati 4, but I know how to recognize these males and this is definitely the male 2)

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-22-2022

SELATI'S LEGACY
Ximhungwe lioness the last lioness of the pride and, as far as i know, daughter of the Selati males.

Because of her face and others aspects i believe she was sired by Selati 3. Ximhungwe female is a warrior just like her father, she has been fighting to keep the legacy of the Ximhungwe pride (and Selatis) alive.
Gingerella is part of the Ximhungwe pride and is partner of Selati's daughter, even thought she is Sassy's daughter, Gingerella is not part of the Othawa pride. The Ximhungwe pride is defending their territory very well and are both going to be very agressive towards any outsiders/intruders.

Who is the dominant male/coalition of the current Ximhungwe pride? That's actually not very clear, as they have come into contact with Nkuhuma & Gowrie; Skorro Jr; and the Plains Camp were reported back in the western sector trailing the Ximhungwe lionesses.
Selati's daughter: Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Photo credits: Keith Jenkinson

Similarities between Selati 3 and Ximhungwe

First pic: Terry Stone
Second pic: Ranger Stu

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 10-25-2022

Singinta, 2013
First two photos: Selati 3 | last photo: Selati 4

"Although wild lions don’t recognize a person inside a vehicle as prey, we had a couple encounters where the adult male lions walked right by the truck. There was even one time where they made eye contact with me—a very tense moment."
Lion in the photo: Selati 4, identified by physique and mane

credits - Singita: The Best Safari Lodges in All of Africa