WildFact
the Selati coalition - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: the Selati coalition (/topic-the-selati-coalition)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 09-10-2022

In my opinion, Selati #3 was the bravest of the 4, he was a great hunter just like his brothers and after Selati #2 death he was probably the most dominant out of the 3 remaining males. He started to show an amazing and beautiful black mane back in 2014, a stunning male lion. The King of the Selati Coalition

*This image is copyright of its original author

Credits: original authors
(Both pics in Leopard Hills Facebook page back in March 12, 2014)

RE: the Selati coalition - Tr1x24 - 09-11-2022

(09-10-2022, 11:25 PM)Ngonya Wrote: In my opinion, Selati #3 was the bravest of the 4, he was a great hunter just like his brothers and after Selati #2 death he was probably the most dominant out of the 3 remaining males. He started to show an amazing and beautiful black mane back in 2014, a stunning male lion. The King of the Selati Coalition

As far as i know, this is not Selati #3, Selati #3 is the male with least developed mane, who died  after fight with Majingilanes.

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 09-11-2022

(09-11-2022, 01:37 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-10-2022, 11:25 PM)Ngonya Wrote: In my opinion, Selati #3 was the bravest of the 4, he was a great hunter just like his brothers and after Selati #2 death he was probably the most dominant out of the 3 remaining males. He started to show an amazing and beautiful black mane back in 2014, a stunning male lion. The King of the Selati Coalition

As far as i know, this is not Selati #3, Selati #3 is the male with least developed mane, who died  after fight with Majingilanes.

So u dont know what u are talking about. Sorry to tell but Selati #3 had a well-developed mane and most likely the second darkest in the coalition. 
The one with the least developed was Selati #2. He died due to injuries caused by buffalo.

Singita, I don't know exactly when the photo was taken but it was posted on Singita's Facebook page on December 31, 2013
And in this photo we see the 3 remaining Selatis after the death of the #2
(from left to right: Selati #3; #4 & #1)

Inyati, I don't know exactly when the photo was taken but it was posted on Singita's Facebook page on May 21, 2014

RE: the Selati coalition - BA0701 - 09-11-2022

(09-11-2022, 03:05 AM)Ngonya Wrote:

So u dont know what u are talking about. Sorry to tell but Selati #3 had a well-developed mane and most likely the second darkest in the coalition. 
The one with the least developed was Selati #2. He died due to injuries caused by buffalo.

Singita, I don't know exactly when the photo was taken but it was posted on Singita's Facebook page on December 31, 2013

Inyati, I don't know exactly when the photo was taken but it was posted on Singita's Facebook page on May 21, 2014

TR1X24 is a very knowledgeable member of WildFact, along with the vast majority of our members who have a wealth of knowledge on these lions (myself excluded). I don't know who's right and who's mistaken in this exchange, but I believe your comment was misplaced.

RE: the Selati coalition - sik94 - 09-11-2022

Going off post #2 in this thread, @Ngonya is right here. I haven't ever seen the identities in post #2 be disputed, so let's stick with those.

(09-11-2022, 03:55 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-11-2022, 03:05 AM)Ngonya Wrote:

TR1X24 is a very knowledgeable member of WildFact, along with the vast majority of our members who have a wealth of knowledge on these lions (myself excluded). I don't know who's right and who's mistaken in this exchange, but I believe your comment was misplaced.
well if there is a coalition that i know about, it is the Selati. 
Pretty sure this is Selati male no.3. 
in addition to recognizing his appearance, an eight-year-old comment on the post also stated that this male in the photo S#3.
{8a = 8 anos (8 years in portuguese)}

I won't base this only on that, ofc. I can say it again, I'm sure Selati #3 was a male with a developed and dark mane, and in this photo we have him
I don't want to turn this into a big discussion, so I can post more pics of him later.

(09-11-2022, 04:08 AM)sik94 Wrote: Going off post #2 in this thread, @Ngonya is right here. I haven't ever seen the identities in post #2 be disputed, so let's stick with those.

I only saw your answer after finishing my last post up there, forgive me, if you want I can delete the 'irrelevant' answers from this 'discussion'

RE: the Selati coalition - sik94 - 09-11-2022

(09-11-2022, 04:10 AM)Ngonya Wrote: I only saw your answer after finishing my last post up there, forgive me, if you want I can delete the 'irrelevant' answers from this 'discussion'

Don't bother deleting stuff. It's fine.

RE: the Selati coalition - BA0701 - 09-11-2022

(09-11-2022, 04:10 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(09-11-2022, 04:08 AM)sik94 Wrote: Going off post #2 in this thread, @Ngonya is right here. I haven't ever seen the identities in post #2 be disputed, so let's stick with those.

I only saw your answer after finishing my last post up there, forgive me, if you want I can delete the 'irrelevant' answers from this 'discussion'

No need for that, you're fine. Thanks!

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 09-13-2022

Selati male's bond was tested by the Othawa lionesses...
these are male no.3 & no.4

Wounds from brotherly fight on the face of one of the Selatis, this is Selati #3

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 09-15-2022

Inyati, September 18, 2012
The Selati males in an attempt to hunt buffalo back in 2012
"This buffalo bull was quietly chewing the cud with three of his mates when their leisurely morning was rudely interrupted by the Selati males"

"The Selati male made an attempt but the Buffalo were way too quick out of the blocks."
Here we can see Selati male no.3 on the run for the buffalo herd

all credits to its original authors

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 09-16-2022

Inyati, March 15, 2014
"One Selati Male, he was calling as the sun was rising on a pleasantly cool morning. He was on our airstrip no more than 50 meters from the lodge."
This male in the photos is Selati #3. 

both photos posted March 15, 2014 on inyati's facebook

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 09-17-2022

I found some really nice videos of the Selati males in a channel, all posted back in March 30, 2014
In this first video we have male no.1 who was walking towards other Selati, then he shows some affection for his brother, male no.3

here is another video, the same two brothers from the first video showing some love

and these videos below show Selati male no.3

Selati 3's mighty roar!

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 09-21-2022

Cheetah Plains, September 4, 2015
"An interesting turn of events unfolded this morning. The lone Birmingham male got chased off the carcass he had stolen from the Nkuhumas by the Selati males sometime during the night. He was located with the Styx female, and she was attempting to induce copulation, without success. This is most likely an attempt at distraction to pull the male away from where her remaining cub is stashed. Photos by Craig Hamilton"
Selati male no.1 chased off Mfumo Birmingham

(let me know if anyone has posted this before)

RE: the Selati coalition - Ngonya - 09-24-2022

All 4 Selati males patrolling together back in 2012, Singita Sabi Sands
from back to front: Selati #4; #3; #1 and leading the brothers, #2

Credits: Greg Baker