WildFact
The Mighty Mapogos - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: The Mighty Mapogos (/topic-the-mighty-mapogos)

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 12-09-2023

@KM600 All the Mapogo were weighed.

And there wasn't a big difference between them. KT was shorter, but Mr.T was as tall as any other. Dreadlocks and Makhulu possibly had longer bodies and were bulkier, but the difference in weight was probably not big.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - KM600 - 12-09-2023

(12-09-2023, 10:48 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @KM600 All the Mapogo were weighed.

And there wasn't a big difference between them. KT was shorter, but Mr.T was as tall as any other. Dreadlocks and Makhulu possibly had longer bodies and were bulkier, but the difference in weight was probably not big.

I heard a rumour they were weighed but wasn’t sure if it was just made up.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - lionuk - 12-09-2023

(12-09-2023, 11:08 AM)KM600 Wrote: Shame all Mapogos were never weighed cos I’ve always thought were Makhulu and Dreadlocks considered to be that big cos they really were that much bigger than Mr T and Kinky Tail, who were more of an average size or were they considered big cos the two youngest were quite small. Essentially how would they compare to the lions of Sabi Sand of recent.

I think Makhulu was weighted when being tested for TB

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 12-09-2023

@Lipstick2 DM 4ways has an incredibly dark mane, but I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say he has a darker mane than any in the Skybed lineage, if at all, DM Skybed had a very black mane.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Also where are you getting that everybody said all Bboys were larger than all other lions in the mid 2010s? This is absolutely not true.

Elephant Plains strongly implied that the very old Majingi were larger than the Bboys ( and they said this in the report about seeing Majingis chasing Bboys ). A WildEarth ranger says the Bboys weren't big and says Charlestons were much bigger, that Bboys were in the smaller side, another one said they weren't tiny but that was it.

Nsuku and Scrapper got dwarfed by Selati #1 in their fight. Tinyo wasn't big either, only Nhenha and Mfumo were above average and it's doubtful if they were any larger than Mapogos, Selati #1 and Majingilanes. I'd say at best around the same size. But these Mapogo and Majingi looked bigger than the lionesses of their time than the Bboys were compared to the Mapogo and Majingi daughters/granddaughters.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Tr1x24 - 12-10-2023

(12-09-2023, 11:31 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Nsuku and Scrapper got dwarfed by Selati #1 in their fight.

At that fight, Scrapper was prob only 3..5 yrs old, Nsuku aroumd 4.5,  while biggest of Selatis was in his prime at around 7.

Prime Nhenha was prob not smaller then Selati #1 at all, as he was much bigger then prime Nsuku.

(12-09-2023, 11:31 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Elephant Plains strongly implied that the very old Majingi were larger than the Bboys ( and they said this in the report about seeing Majingis chasing Bboys ). A WildEarth ranger says the Bboys weren't big and says Charlestons were much bigger, that thet were in the smaller side, another one said they weren't tiny but that was it.

We cant judge all coalition size the same if their members are not the same size.

Mfumo and especially Nhenha where much bigger then Nsuku and Tinyo.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 12-10-2023

@Tr1x24 Scrapper looks pretty young indeed, but Nsuku had seemingly a full mane, but assuming he was 4,5yo, he still had some bulk up to do, true, but he wouldn't grow in height and length anymore, and the Selati male towered over him.

I do think Nhenha and Mfumo were around the bigger Selati's size, maybe slightly bigger or slightly smaller. I was replying to the claim that all Bboys were bigger than all other SS lions in the 2010s, Matimbas aside, which I think it's clearly not the case.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - BigLion39 - 12-12-2023

(12-09-2023, 08:09 AM)Ngonya Wrote: The only BBoy with a more impressive mane than Makhulu, or even Dreadlock/Scar and their Rolleroaster half brothers is Nsuku, who wasn't a big lion, probably smaller than all of the Mapogo/Rollercoaster imo.

Your forgetting about Tinyo. Tinyo had a great mane and it connected to his elbow tufts causing those impressive wraps that I believe no Mapojo had. I think Kinky Tail and Mak had the best mane of the Mapojos and was on par with Nhena, Tinyo, and Nsuku.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Tr1x24 - 12-12-2023

(12-12-2023, 01:10 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Your forgetting about Tinyo. Tinyo had a great mane and it connected to his elbow tufts causing those impressive wraps that I believe no Mapojo had. I think Kinky Tail and Mak had the best mane of the Mapojos and was on par with Nhena, Tinyo, and Nsuku.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Ngonya - 12-12-2023

(12-12-2023, 01:10 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Tinyo had a great mane and it connected to his elbow tufts causing those impressive wraps
yes, but that's the only thing that made his mane 'more' impressive, in general it was a full mane just like most of the other males i mentioned, still not as impressive as Nsuku

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Ngonya - 12-17-2023

The Mapogos - Lions of Sabi Sand  (texts by the FB page)

"The two wild Mapogo lion brothers Kinky Tail and Mr. T, known at the time as the Mlowathi brothers, hunt an unknown male in the Londolozi area around 2008 that invaded from the north"

" As documented in this photo, Kinky Tail and Mr. T always operated in synchronously in their attacks, always! and at full speed because they were really fearless

That's how it was that evening when they both attacked the 4 Majingilane when KT was separated and killed
Now the question: what happened to Mr. T who came 15 minutes later? Do you now understand that something had happened and the attack of the two mapogos was interrupted by something!! "

©van Bommel

Beautiful and impressive photos, but the text is ridiculous to say the least. More than a decade ago the 4 Majingilane killed Kinky Tail and people like this guy from this FB page continue to insist on the idea that there was some interference (human they suggest) in the defeat of the Mlowathis/Mapogo.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 12-17-2023

That video/short documentary from NatGeo that is on youtube with millions of views about this fight helped the conspiracy theories a lot as it shows Mr.T and KT together chasing the Majingis through the night.

The issue is, those 2 lions are not Mr.T and KT, but rather random footage from random lions used to illustrate their documentary. So they think the 2 were together chasing their enemies until suddenly Mr.T vanishes and only shows up again 15 minutes later.

Mr.T never chased the Majingis in the night clash with KT, only KT showed up and did the chase, as Ranger Peter Rundle clearly states in his report.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Ttimemarti - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 10:05 PM)Ngonya Wrote: The Mapogos - Lions of Sabi Sand  (texts by the FB page)

"The two wild Mapogo lion brothers Kinky Tail and Mr. T, known at the time as the Mlowathi brothers, hunt an unknown male in the Londolozi area around 2008 that invaded from the north"

" As documented in this photo, Kinky Tail and Mr. T always operated in synchronously in their attacks, always! and at full speed because they were really fearless

That's how it was that evening when they both attacked the 4 Majingilane when KT was separated and killed
Now the question: what happened to Mr. T who came 15 minutes later? Do you now understand that something had happened and the attack of the two mapogos was interrupted by something!! "

©van Bommel

Beautiful and impressive photos, but the text is ridiculous to say the least. More than a decade ago the 4 Majingilane killed Kinky Tail and people like this guy from this FB page continue to insist on the idea that there was some interference (human they suggest) in the defeat of the Mlowathis/Mapogo. 
Seems like they are unable to accept that their pet lions were defeated by younger males Laughing

Pet lions?

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 12-27-2023

The Mapogo bloodline seen today, in the middle, the smallest cub is the youngest member of the pride and the last Mapogo grandson, credits to Savanna:

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Ngonya - 01-04-2024

Mapogo half brothers
The mighty Castleton males (known as the Rollercoaster coalition) back in 2001 in Sabi Sabi
The older brother, later he would get killed by a crocodile

Looks like the younger of the brothers, the One Eyed male

By Tom Merigan

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - KM600 - 01-05-2024

(01-04-2024, 11:55 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Mapogo half brothers
The mighty Castleton males (known as the Rollercoaster coalition) back in 2001 in Sabi Sabi
The older brother, later he would get killed by a crocodile

Looks like the younger of the brothers, the One Eyed male

By Tom Merigan

Heard these boys were said to have been the suspects for the death of one West Street Male member. Crazy how male lions can be so successful and their reward for it is having to compete with their much younger sons.