WildFact
The Mighty Mapogos - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: The Mighty Mapogos (/topic-the-mighty-mapogos)

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - afortich - 10-07-2023

(09-24-2023, 01:04 AM)KM600 Wrote: Man I love Makhulu, one of the smartest lions I’ve ever come across, shame he left no male offspring other than the Othawa Boys that disappeared. Would have liked to not only see more interactions between him and his cubs but also go onto see them develop and create a legacy of their own.

I agree, Makhulu and Notch appeared to be very smart.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - KM600 - 10-08-2023

Great video detailing what happened to some of the Mapogo offspring

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - KM600 - 10-08-2023

Screenshot from the same channel. A lot of the Mapogos problems in terms of the cubs they produced was their own fault but damn two of their females that recently had cubs being snared in the same year is super unlucky for them, especially considering neither litter survived and it was purely down to humans. Add on the Sand River Pride being executed and some young lions also had to be put down after eating a dog that possessed rabies after a fence had collapsed, humans really didn’t help the Mapogos cause and yet they still have quite a few descendants in SS. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - afortich - 10-29-2023

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - KM600 - 10-29-2023

Makhulu has to have one of the most impressive manes I’ve ever seen, not only because of the length with it covering part of his back, but the darkness too. The only other non-related lions I can think of with similar manes are prolly the Crater males.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Ttimemarti - 10-29-2023

(10-29-2023, 08:57 AM)KM600 Wrote: Makhulu has to have one of the most impressive manes I’ve ever seen, not only because of the length with it covering part of his back, but the darkness too. The only other non-related lions I can think of with similar manes are prolly the Crater males.

His entire mane at one point was literally almost all black Craziness

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - KM600 - 10-31-2023

(10-29-2023, 11:19 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(10-29-2023, 08:57 AM)KM600 Wrote: Makhulu has to have one of the most impressive manes I’ve ever seen, not only because of the length with it covering part of his back, but the darkness too. The only other non-related lions I can think of with similar manes are prolly the Crater males.

No wonder majority of the cubs they sired under the Mapogo reign were said to be his, the females must have loved him. Rival males on the other hand… bumping into Makhulu must have been a nightmare.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Ttimemarti - 10-31-2023

(10-31-2023, 01:02 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(10-29-2023, 11:19 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote:

No wonder majority of the cubs they sired under the Mapogo reign were said to be his, the females must have loved him. Rival males on the other hand… bumping into Makhulu must have been a nightmare.
100%

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 10-31-2023

@KM600 they said the cubs were his because, being the oldest by 2-3 years, he dominated the mating competition.

And the cubs that were born when he aged and the others reached their prime didn't survive.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Ttimemarti - 10-31-2023

(10-31-2023, 10:35 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @KM600 they said the cubs were his because, being the oldest by 2-3 years, he dominated the mating competition.

And the cubs that were born when he aged and the others reached their prime didn't survive.

His offspring was in the sand river pride but they all where killed

(10-31-2023, 10:35 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @KM600 they said the cubs were his because, being the oldest by 2-3 years, he dominated the mating competition.

I understand that but it doesn’t really make a difference, he still sired majority of the cubs, them not making it doesn’t change the fact.

(10-31-2023, 10:47 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote:

His offspring was in the sand river pride but they all where killed
I heard one of them actually survived, Makhulu let the youngster join him on a kill once or twice and even held back his own pride from attacking the youngster so he could get his fill but the male eventually succumbed to his death. Being a solitary male at that age, he was never going to make it without a pride.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 11-01-2023

@Ttimemarti he mated with the Othawa and Tsalala females, any of the 9 cubs that reached adulthood may be his. All 6 Mapogo may be fathers of any of the 9.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - afortich - 11-30-2023

Pretty boy