WildFact
The Mighty Mapogos - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: The Mighty Mapogos (/topic-the-mighty-mapogos)

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 08-28-2023

The dynamics within the coalition after Mr.T's return:

Leopard Hills:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Khimbini ( Inyati ):

A shame the cubs died and Mapogos wasted most of the rest of the year fighting among themselves over Ximhungwe, they should have kept their efforts into remaining dominants over Londolozi and Tsalala pride, when the Tsalalas first ran from Majingilanes deep to the west, there were still 6 cubs alive, only 4 would ever make it, and not due to their fathers efforts, but the old Tsalala going nomadic with them.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 08-28-2023

Ximhungwe subadult sired by Mapogos, looks like Makhulu.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - BigLion39 - 08-28-2023

(08-28-2023, 10:20 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Rob's take on dominance and why the Mapogos split:

Same thing happened with Sekekama and Torn Nose. The split from their other brothers after being over powered. Happens a lot.
Rank dominance does occur in lions but I think it is dynamic unlike in canines like wolves and hyenas which have a domonant member always the same. In lions the top spot changes frequently for many different reasons between coalition partners/brothers/cousins. Very complex.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Potato - 08-28-2023

I am much scepcical in regard this theory of Mlovathis just running away from their brothers because they were overpowered. Just by looking who Mr T was doing against his brothers in a time following his return to the coalition I do not see reason why mlovathis woun't be able to keep up with their brothers. I think they just wanted more land and females for themselfs, therefore they moved further east looking for it while their other brothers were confortable with what they already had.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Tylermartin! - 08-28-2023

Mr T and kinky tail saw Rasta dreadlocks and pretty boy a lot they never really split I forget but when kinky tail died it had been some time since they had seen mr T but not that long

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 08-29-2023

@Potato According to Rob, Mlowathi were getting outmuscled at carcasses, and we know they fought like crazy over food. But Rob attributes it to their smaller size at the time, though I don't think size has anything to do with it, Mlowathi were 6,5yo when they split, they were as big as they were meant to be.

As for Mr.T matching the others at his return, IMO this was due to confidence and experience. He faced tough territorial competition for 2 years, the others only faced themselves and while their fights were fierce, nobody was at a risk of losing anything.

So Mr.T was the most battle-hardened lion in terms of territorial clashes which boosted his confidence.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Potato - 08-29-2023

(08-29-2023, 12:23 AM)Mapokser Wrote: According to Rob, Mlowathi were getting outmuscled at carcasses
I find that hard to believe. Anyway they were easly hunting buffalos where there is easly meat for everyone to feed. Moreover they had already pirdes to provide so I highl doubt that interpretation.

(08-29-2023, 12:23 AM)Mapokser Wrote: As for Mr.T matching the others at his return, IMO this was due to confidence and experience. He faced tough territorial competition for 2 years, the others only faced themselves and while their fights were fierce, nobody was at a risk of losing anything.
Nothink prepares better for fighting one on one than fighting one on one so I doubt Mr T's territorial encounters had any impact on his one on one fighting skills. At the time of his return he had age advantage through I do not think it would be very impactful.

@Potato Rob saw them feeding countless times tho so his word has lots of credibility.

Also there are multiple reports of Mapogos beating the hell out of each other over scraps of buffalo and what not.

As for fighting 1v1, I didn't say he got a boost in skill, but rather in confidence which IMO is the most important factor in a brotherly fight.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Tylermartin! - 08-29-2023

(08-28-2023, 11:18 AM)IMapokser Wrote: The dynamics within the coalition after Mr.T's return:

Leopard Hills:

Khimbini ( Inyati ):

A shame the cubs died and Mapogos wasted most of the rest of the year fighting among themselves over Ximhungwe, they should have kept their efforts into remaining dominants over Londolozi and Tsalala pride, when the Tsalalas first ran from Majingilanes deep to the west, there were still 6 cubs alive, only 4 would ever make it, and not due to their fathers efforts, but the old Tsalala going nomadic with them.
The minipogs mother died because of a snare and she raised them away from the pride and they where much older than the other cubs if she hadn’t been killed by humans they would’ve survived and I just learned the othawa female or females that raised the 3 Mapogo daughters and M and T was also snared and then the sand river pride that they would’ve had many more offspring but yeah 2 adult females and 5 young males Killed. But that was mostly mr t and kinky tails territory the others didn’t wanna go that far again Probably

(08-29-2023, 05:37 AM)Tylermartin! Wrote:
(08-28-2023, 11:18 AM)IMapokser Wrote: The dynamics within the coalition after Mr.T's return:

Leopard Hills:

Khimbini ( Inyati ):

The minipogs mother died because of a snare and she raised them away from the pride and they where much older than the other cubs if she hadn’t been killed by humans they would’ve survived and I just learned the othawa female or females that raised the 3 Mapogo daughters and M and T was also snared and then the sand river pride that they would’ve had many more offspring but yeah 2 adult females and 5 young males Killed. But that was mostly mr t and kinky tails territory the others didn’t wanna go that far again Probably

I've no idea about the Ximhungwe female or 1/2 Othawas, but one of the 2 Othawa females was killed by a buffalo in 2010.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Tylermartin! - 08-29-2023

(08-29-2023, 08:35 AM)Mapokser Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 05:37 AM)Tylermartin! Wrote:

Leopard Hills:

Khimbini ( Inyati ):

I've no idea about the Ximhungwe female or 1/2 Othawas,  but one of the 2 Othawa females was killed by a buffalo in 2010.

The Ximhungwe female was snared and the last adult othawa female was snared that’s why they where always with the ximhungwes because the othawas didn’t have any adult females to mate with

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 08-30-2023

Mlowathi males and, I think, the Tsalala pride? Londolozi Jan 2010.

https://whatscookingwithdoc.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/feast-for-the-soul/

I don't remember these photos before.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 09-12-2023

Some Idube reports on Mapogos in 2010.

Makhulu chased by a pack of 10 wild dogs lol:

Conflict between Mapogos and the Tsalala pride in mid 2010 when Tsalalas went deep west fleeing the Majingilane:

But it turns out it was just confusion as the future Manghenis hadn't seen the Western Mapogos in a while:

More interactions between Western Mapogos and Tsalala Pride, at this time the Tsalalas were visiting the Western Sector a bit regularly to flee the Majingis:

First time I heard about this, apparently 2 Majingis were seen injured around the time Rasta died and PB was badly injured?

Pretty Boy 2011, credits to Idube: