WildFact
The Mighty Mapogos - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: The Mighty Mapogos (/topic-the-mighty-mapogos)

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - afortich - 12-26-2022

The legendary Makhulu, the wisest!!

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 12-27-2022

This seems to be a rare video with 5 Mapogos together, does anyone have any idea where and when this footage was taken? Most recent footage of them together that comes to my mind is from january 2009 in Djuma.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Leo Aslan - 12-27-2022

Please click the "settings" icon in the video and activate your language under "subtitles". It will be translated automatically!
It is the most complete documentary about the rise and fall of the Mapogo lions. Edited and narrated in german language by Ms Ines

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - fursan syed - 12-29-2022

Clash of the Titans: Rasta vs Pretty Boy
fighting over a female.

Leopard Hills, Summer 2006 - by Elishapira

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Leo Aslan - 12-31-2022

An unique document of legendary lions that changed the lion dynamics of Sabi Sand forever. The mighty West Street Boys who had subjugated MalaMala and Londolozi for years, the legendary and sadly defunct Sparta pride, the Mapogos as cubs and sub-adults and their half-brothers, the Rollercoasters. Thanks to Kim Wolhuter, these recordings remain for eternity. Happy New Year :-)

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - fursan syed - 12-31-2022

King Leonidas Rasta Mapogo - Fan Made Tribute
by Anbu Arasan

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - fursan syed - 01-05-2023

Mapogos Attacking The Tsalala Pride & Big Mak Killing The Tsalala Cub ... 

Also Making Sure That The Cub Is Really Dead.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - fursan syed - 01-09-2023

MR T ( The Notorious) Most Aggressive Lion Ever 

When he died Mapogo Empire falls with him

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 01-20-2023

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I can't remember it here and I think I've read the entire thread by now...

Ranger Report, 5 Mapogos fatally injured one of their own Othawa cubs in the West, by Marius Coetzee and the Leopard Hills guides May 30, 2010:

The single new cub of the Ximungwe Pride of lions we reported on last month has unfortunately been killed by a spotted hyena. Other than the little set back the pride had a very good month and was seen frequently in the Southern part of our traversing area.

The coalition of Mapogo male lions once again spent the last month in our traversing area. At the end of the month we had a sighting of all 5 of the males together, this hasn‘t happened too often lately. The males were also seen feeding of a buffalo on the banks of the Sand River in the middle of the month. They managed to steal the carcass from the Ottawa pride of lions during the night and unfortunately in doing so injured one of the little cubs severely. A couple of days later the pride were seen once again and this time the cub wasn‘t present, we presume he must have died from his wounds.

https://www.leopardhills.com/blog/safari-lodge-general/rangers-report-may-2010/

Reports of the Mapogos never cease to amaze me ( for better or for worse ).

- 5 males together deep in the West at the end of may just days before Kinky Tail's death! It's crazy to think that either Mr.T or KT ( or maybe even both ) was with the others at that time, they could have easily retreated to the West and come back to fight with the upper hand in numbers, but I guess they weren't that smart and chose to engage 2v5. Even after KT's death, Mr.T thought it was a good idea to try to hold the territory alone. With the exception of Makhulu, the other Mapogos don't struck me as particulary smart, especially the 2 youngest of them.

- Mr.T killing the Ximhungwe's cubs aside, there was a claim that they killed Makhulu's Othawa cubs in 2007 but Rob Vamphew claimed the cubs were Nhlanguleni's, but here we have it, they killing their own cub...

- The split in the coalition, I think, it's greatly overestimated, although it's true they were working as different coalitions for around 2 years, it seems they never stopped visiting each other, be it in the east or west, so it doesn't surprise me Mr.T was easily accepted back.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 01-20-2023

One of the Mapogos by Arnold Kalan:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Can someone identify him?

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - fursan syed - 01-20-2023

Mr. T/ Pretty Boy/ Kinky Tail drinking before split (Rare Video)

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - afortich - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 10:55 AM)Mapokser Wrote: One of the Mapogos by Arnold Kalan:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Can someone identify him?

For sure that he is not Mr. T

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Tr1x24 - 01-21-2023

(01-20-2023, 10:43 AM)Mapokser Wrote: - Mr.T killing the Ximhungwe's cubs aside, there was a claim that they killed Makhulu's Othawa cubs in 2007 but Rob Vamphew claimed the cubs were Nhlanguleni's, but here we have it, they killing their own cub...

It was an accident at the carcass, where young cubs often get hurt (unintentionally) in a mess and scrap, Mapogos definitely didn't intentionally kill their own cub.

(01-20-2023, 10:43 AM)Mapokser Wrote: - The split in the coalition, I think, it's greatly overestimated, although it's true they were working as different coalitions for around 2 years, it seems they never stopped visiting each other, be it in the east or west, so it doesn't surprise me Mr.T was easily accepted back.

Mr T was definitely not easily accepted back, he was "rejected" and get kept on the distance from their prides for quite some time since he returned (theres videos of it). 

They might visit each others occasionaly, or just bump into each others here and there (as they where next to each others) , but western Mapogos and Mluwatis definitely operated as 2 different coalitions from ~ 2008 - KT death.

So no, western Mapogos had no intentions or reason to defend territory and prides of their eastern brothers, as it was not their territory.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Mapokser - 01-21-2023

@Tr1x24 

He was kept away from a cub once, as captured by Leo Vantage, because they could see he was hostile to the cub, as soon as he killed the 3 cubs, he mated with the females because there was no more reason for them to keep him away.

First sighting of Mr.T after leaving his territory was him eating a buffalo with the other males, and as shown in the report above at least one of the Mlowathi was hanging out with the others in Leopard Hills which is very deep into the 4 Mapogo territory. He was never rejected and had he showed no hostility to Ximhungwes cubs ( as he didn't to Othawas as he knew that pride ) the video of them keeping him away from the cub wouldn't exist.

Western Mapogos had no intentions of defending the east because it wasn't their territory? How did that was exactly what happened then? They went and challenged the Majingilanes at least twice in July, which ended up with Rasta's disappearance and PB returning with injuries suffered in a fight against multiple lions. They tried to defend the eastern territory, it just happened that they lost the fight.

Sure they weren't interested in the east but as soon as Mr.T summoned them, they went there to fight, which is even how it was reported by Londolozi "did he went west to summon the help of his brothers?" and Ranger Rob Vamphew puts it "got in a big fight this one ( PB ) when there were 5 of them left they went to try and fight the coalition, this one and his twin brother got the brunt of that fight, the other one died, we think".

https://youtu.be/i_jg2Y-uCBs 2:02

So how does your point holds, exactly? There are reports of the 5 going east early in July, immediately after Mr.T's return, then all 5 returning West ( 11th ) and roaring together in Leopard Hills, then at least some of them went east again until Rasta vanished and PB returned 27-29th of that month.

They could have done that before KT died. In this case, if they did and defeated the Majingilane what would have happened is that the other 4 would return West and the Mlowathi would keep the east, as happened before when western Mapogos visited the east, they would hangout a bit or even help if necessary ( like against Styx Pride ) and then leave.

Do you think if, by coincidence, Western Mapogos were visiting the east and met with the Mlowathi and Majingilane they wouldn't join the fray because "they had no intention or reason to defend that territory"?

Btw Rob Vamphew claims the Tsalala pride was controlled by all 6, here footage of Rasta and the Tsalala pride: https://youtu.be/72UzZ9-7G70

Male lions don't have "friendly neighbours", they are either enemies or allies and the fact the bond between Mlowathi and western Mapogos never broke ( probably due to their visits ) means they were allies and would have helped against Majingilanes, as they in fact, did.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Tr1x24 - 01-21-2023

@Mapokser you are saying, after Mr T return, he "summoned" them (idk how that is possible, lions can communicate like that, its not like Mr T told them, hey KT was killed, i need help lol), that all Mapogos group and went east to try to defeat Majingilanes. 

I think what happened is, that they heard 4 new territorial roars east of them, closing by, obiviously they need to go to their eastern boundary and check what is happening, do we even know which was eastern boundary of western Mapogos? I assume it was somewhere around Londolozi - Elephant Plains. 

Obiviously Majingilanes would push west as far as they can, until they encountered rest of Mapogos, and there we had those few encounters/clashes between the 2 coalitions. Rasta disappeared at Elephant Plains, which was around the boundary of western and eastern Mapogos. 

It was more of a establishing boundary between old and new coalition in the area, Majingilanes tried to grab as much space as possible, while Mapogos tried to stop them pushing further west, once things settle down after few months, and boundary was established, we barely had any encounters between the 2 coalitions. 

As for spliting coalitions, N. Avocas operated similar to what Mapogos did, DM was spliting member, he had its own territory and pride, Mohawk/Blondie where not his enemies, but neither full partners anymore, they didnt help him defend his territory, but neither try to attack/pressure him and his territory. They just existed as 2 neighbouring coalitions, who dont compete against each other, but also dont operate as 1 coalition either. You could call it part - coalition.