WildFact
The Mighty Mapogos - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: The Mighty Mapogos (/topic-the-mighty-mapogos)

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Tr1x24 - 09-15-2021

Othawa boys on a kill they stoled from Tsalalas in Chitwa, shortly after 4 Majingilanes chased them off, September 2011 :

Photo Credits : Chitwa Chitwa Private Game Lodge

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Potato - 09-16-2021

(09-15-2021, 08:27 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Othawa boys on a kill they stoled from Tsalalas in Chitwa, shortly after 4 Majingilanes chased them off, September 2011 :

They doesn't look like Othawa males to my eye. To my eye those are Solo and Cleo.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Tr1x24 - 09-16-2021

(09-16-2021, 01:56 AM)Potato Wrote: They doesn't look like Othawa males to my eye. To my eye those are Solo and Cleo.

It said Othawa males in description, but idk, it could be, i didn't check.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Timbavati - 09-16-2021

(09-16-2021, 01:56 AM)Potato Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 08:27 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Othawa boys on a kill they stoled from Tsalalas in Chitwa, shortly after 4 Majingilanes chased them off, September 2011 :

They doesn't look like Othawa males to my eye. To my eye those are Solo and Cleo.
Othawa males 100% sure of my words. I had roughly 200 pics of them from different years, sub-adults, cubs, and almost fully-grown males. OT had two cuts on his right-ear.
First two pics Othawa T and the last one Othawa M

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Potato - 09-16-2021

(09-16-2021, 07:35 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 01:56 AM)Potato Wrote:

Othawa males 100% sure of my words. I had roughly 200 pics of them from different years, sub-adults, cubs, and almost fully-grown males. OT had two cuts on his right-ear.
First two pics Othawa T and the last one Othawa M

I am very convinced that those are Solo and Cleo. Idk about Othawa T having those cuts on his ear, I could not find any close ups on to his ear. Cleo tho also had 2 cuts on his right ear.

Solo and Cloe:

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Tr1x24 - 09-16-2021

(09-16-2021, 02:09 PM)Potato Wrote: I am very convinced that those are Solo and Cleo. Idk about Othawa T having those cuts on his ear, I could not find any close ups on to his ear. Cleo tho also had 2 cuts on his right ear.

Solo and Cloe:

Yea, looks like Solo and Cleo afterall.

Othawa T. 
a particular Identification card
Photo credits: Chitwa Chitwa Private Game Reserve and Dave Pusey

(09-16-2021, 02:23 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 02:09 PM)Potato Wrote: I am very convinced that those are Solo and Cleo. Idk about Othawa T having those cuts on his ear, I could not find any close ups on to his ear. Cleo tho also had 2 cuts on his right ear.

Solo and Cloe:

Yea, looks like Solo and Cleo afterall.

Without any doubt, those two on a buffalo kill aren't Solo and Cleo

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Leo Aslan - 09-25-2021

Powerful Mapogo Lions destroying Nkuhuma King Blondie in a brutal Attack | BATTLE OF SABI SANDS

Lion warfare in Africa: Mapogo vs Nkuhuma* 
Rangers report: Nightmare on the 8th
"The sun has set on yet another day here in the Sabi Sands. Nightfall in the bush awakes a predator. An illusive leopard hunts with caution, planning every step as he silently moves through the darkness towards his prey… but this story is not about a stalking leopard. It is a story of one of our well-known lions, the dominant male of the Nkuhuma (Kahuma) Pride, Blondie, who has tragically fallen to the brutal, destructive and terrifying coalition of five male lions, known as the “Mapogo Males”.
Last night, as darkness settled over the bush, the horrifying sound of fighting lions was heard to the south of Djuma somewhere across one of our borders. The Rangers knew immediately that the Mapogo Males were a part of it because they had been spotted close to Cheetah Cut-line a couple of days ago. True to their name, which means, “bandits”, they were once again on the path of destruction.
During the day, the two Nkuhuma males were seen with one of the Styx females. Blondie was mating with her when the Mapogo Males came across them. Sadly, the instinct to eliminate all competition prevailed and Blondie stood little chance against the five “bandits”. The younger male, Dozie, joined the struggle for a while but fled together with the female towards Buffelshoek, when he realized his big brother had fallen. Our hearts grew heavy as we heard the reports coming in over the radio. Blondie was paralyzed. His only chance of survival would have been retreat. His fate was now sealed.
The Styx female escaped unharmed and is now, surprisingly, with the Mapogo Males, who will mate with her to ensure the survival of their genes. The only remaining Nkuhuma male, Dozie, was seen in Buffelshoek this morning with one of the Nkuhuma females. Dozie must now rise and take his place as the new dominant male of the Nkuhuma Pride. Some of the females have cubs and the Mapogo Males will want to kill them too, so Dozie’s responsibilities are great. He is now the only one that can ensure the survival of the Nkuhuma Pride.
As far as we know the Nkuhuma Pride now consists of one male, Dozie, nine females and thirteen cubs (one of them was Sizanani). All of us here at Wild Earth are hoping that Dozie will succeed in his task of protecting the Nkuhuma Pride and that, in time the cubs will grow up to be a part of this very special group that we have come to know and love.
The sun has set on yet another magnificent male lion’s life here in the Sabi Sands but I am sure, that whenever we see a buried lion track on the roads he used to walk on, we will think of him and remember him dearly." R.I.P Blondie...
(written by ranger Pieter Pretorius on December 11th, 2007 at Djuma)

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Leo Aslan - 09-28-2021

Last Kings - The Phoenix & The Most Powerful Of Mapogo

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Leo Aslan - 09-28-2021

Before the Old Manyeleti males, the West Street males or the Mapogo lions did their mischief in the Londolozi area, there was a dreaded boy in the 70s and 80s about whom stories are told to this day: Nyamakunze aka Big Black.

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Leo Aslan - 10-01-2021

Safari Highlights of 2009 (taken by ranger Rob Vamplew)

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Leo Aslan - 10-03-2021

The great rivals of the Mapogos from younger days

Split Rock males Scar & Tyson

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Leo Aslan - 10-05-2021

The Godfather of Lion world...Big Mak

RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Fordhsu - 10-07-2021

(01-29-2017, 07:17 PM)fursan syed Wrote: Mawuwani : July 2012 Wildlife Journal
By Inyati 

Ximhungwe pride

The lionesses are trying very hard to keep the cubs away from the Selati male, keep them alive. We seen them their strategy from running and hunting to engage entertaining and mate. The one lioness, Queen is left to baby sit and feed the three remaining cubs, hunting without the help of the three sisters (who are busy entertaining the Selati males) have proven little difficult especially because she been limping for a while now but she is managing so far.

It was much to our relief that the lioness and the 3 sub adults made a kill on one morning. We found them with bulging bellies and still bloodied. The Lioness had fed a bit but had clearly left the lions share to the youngsters. Hope beyond hope, as the Selati males still search for the last of the Mapogo’s cubs. The sad news this month is the lioness that had new litter lost all her cubs, we only got to see one cubs, we saw her carrying this cub to a wildebeest kill and the next day it was dead we are not sure what happened to it.

https://inyatigamelodge.com/2012/08/03/mawuwani-july-2012-wildlife-journal/

Dear Fursan and all

good day

May I know what happened to those youngster in 2012,I found no update of them since September 2012,they were 18 months old ,2 sub adult male and 1 sub adult female,
did any know ?