WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Ngala - 10-29-2016

Photo and information credits: Yash Mahadik Photography
Mohican my man!

This is a story of courage and resilience: Mohican is the Lion King of the Enkoyanai Pride in the Olare Motorogi Conservancy of Mara. He is now circa 10 years old, age at which Lions go into oblivion as they are either killed in the bloody territorial battle or are thrown out of their prides and they die out of starvation. About eight weeks ago four nomadic Lions of Mara looking at taking over a pride challenged and attacked Mohican and threw him out of his pride. Mohican was injured very badly and many thought he will succumb to those injuries. In six weeks he healed himself, gathered his strength, fought the coaliation of the four young nomadic lions and sent them packing. He took over his pride and when I met him again in Mara, he was fully incharge of his pride and looked majestic and strong as ever. Yes he is ageing and his end is near but this bounce back has become a legend. I am so glad I met him again, and took some cracking shots and video of him eating his kill. Longlive Mohican.

This image was created on 23rd August, 2016 at the Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Mara, Kenya at 6.31pm (Local time). It was just around the sunset and the light was low (but good), the dry and tall grass cover of Mara was shining bright and looking more white than brown. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

When the King with blood on his face walks past you and you get to shoot him from a distance of 5 feet. 
Image created on 23rd August, 2016, 7.24 pm (IST) at the Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Kenya. 

When the King is angry and you are in front of him, You can feel your cold sweat trickle down your neck into your spine channel. It can give you the shivers, especially when you are just 15 feet away from a Lion as Gigantic as Mohican. I shot this one in Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Kenya on 23rd of August, 2016. He was growling at two Jackals who were scavenging around him and his pride. 

Oh yeah! Its a Saturday and this one is special.
Mohican with a bloodied face. He had just killed and finished eating and was abs full. Unlike a cat he didn't want to wipe the blood off his face. It was a beautiful moment and pose. Shot this last month in the Olare Conservancy of Kenya.

Good Morning. Its Mohican again. Continuing with the post of last evening... 
After a power nap, he was fresh, with a sparkle in his eyes he was on to the next thing... he was looking for Romeo who had gone away from the pride as he was nursing his wounds of a bloodied battle of Lions which had taken place a few weeks ago.
The Light had started to fade and this image is shot in low light at a high ISO. He was sitting barely 20 feet away from us and it was magical. 

Rest In Peace Mohican.

Mohican, The Lion King of the Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Maasai Mara, Kenya died yesterday. He was one of my favourite lions and over the years I photographed him a lot. He died a natural death, which is also the natures way in the wild. He was battling hard with young nomadic lions and finally he scummed to his injuries. 

Here is the last image that I shot of Mohican in August, 2016 in OMC, Kenya. Little did I know that, I will write his obituary on this image ?. Its a lovely image and I want to remember him like this. If you loved Mohican or have his images, please share and say what you thought of the Lion King. I will keep posting Mohican's image for the rest of the week.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Spalea - 10-29-2016

@Ngala: Thanks a lot for sharing your affection for Mohican and to make us admire this lion which had a wonderful warrior's life !

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Spalea - 10-30-2016

Mohican: Masai Mara (2004-2016)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Tshokwane - 10-30-2016

Credits to Mohammed Billow.

This evening Timothy Leperes Laur and I came across the hunter which is one of the four musketeers, two of them ie sikio and Morani were like three kilometers away from him.

The injury doesn't look good, but kind of confusing, looking closely there was like three punctures, very close, and swollen...

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Pckts - 10-30-2016

Snake bite?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Tshokwane - 10-30-2016

(10-30-2016, 11:35 PM)Pckts Wrote: Snake bite?

I was considering it. If it's so, being in the face it might be very dangerous.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - bdg79 - 10-31-2016

(10-30-2016, 11:49 PM)Majingilane Wrote:

Dosent seems like a snake bite, a snake bite will leave 2 punctures wounds. Barb wire or some kind of trap?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Pckts - 10-31-2016

(10-31-2016, 02:30 AM)Bbdg79 Wrote:
(10-30-2016, 11:49 PM)Majingilane Wrote:

Dosent seems like a snake bite, a snake bite will leave 2 punctures wounds. Barb wire or some kind of trap?

I thought there were 2 puncture wounds but there may be more now that I looked at it again. It could be spitting cobra venom since it looks like skin deterioration.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Tshokwane - 10-31-2016

Scar, Musketeer male. August 2016. Credits to Andy Benaglia.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Gamiz - 10-31-2016

From Big Cats of Masai Mara FB