WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Gamiz - 10-20-2016

One year ago...

Male Lion Blackie an 8 year old male lion form the trans mara conservancy was treated yesterday on Rhino Ridge in the Mara reserve in the afternoon at 4.00pm for wounds on his rear torso inflicted through a fight with Marsh Pride male lions, Morani, Sikio and Hunter.

The David Sheldrick Mobile Clinic and Kenya Wildlife service vet Dr Limo were deployed very quickly and we owe our continued thanks to this Mobile veterinary clinic based in the Masai Mara.

Lion Blackie had received deep bite and scratch wounds on his right rear leg muscles. The wounds were all cleaned and disinfected. This male lion will will be monitored and should recover well in a very short time.

Patrick Reynolds, Governors Il Moran Camp Manager

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Gamiz - 10-20-2016

Sopa males

One of 4 brothers from Sopa pride

credits Ashwin Karuppiah

a Sopa male

Photo Credit- Prerona Auddy

one-eyed Sopa aka Benna

photo credit- Manuel Gomez Sanchez

one of the Sopa males, that right ear 

photo credit- Manuel Gomez Sanchez

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Polar - 10-20-2016

(10-20-2016, 08:02 AM)Gamiz Wrote: One year ago...

Male Lion Blackie an 8 year old male lion form the trans mara conservancy was treated yesterday on Rhino Ridge in the Mara reserve in the afternoon at 4.00pm for wounds on his rear torso inflicted through a fight with Marsh Pride male lions, Morani, Sikio and Hunter.

The David Sheldrick Mobile Clinic and Kenya Wildlife service vet Dr Limo were deployed very quickly and we owe our continued thanks to this Mobile veterinary clinic based in the Masai Mara.

Lion Blackie had received deep bite and scratch wounds on his right rear leg muscles. The wounds were all cleaned and disinfected. This male lion will will be monitored and should recover well in a very short time.

Patrick Reynolds, Governors Il Moran Camp Manager

These wildlife veterinarians should not help these lions at all, in my opinion. Seems quite contradicting to want to conserve nature yet to lend a "helping hand" (not really that 'helping').

They should simply let nature take its course.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Skybed - 10-20-2016

Well said @Polar & @"Majingilane" we should always let nature take its own course.

In fact the lion dynamics in Masai Mara would have been different if Blackie isn't strong enough to survive the ordeal.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Spalea - 10-20-2016

Thank to these vets, Blackie get a second life... I am happy for him. And yes too, every male lion life becomes precious. But, as @Georgel says, I'm perhaps not quite agree when I heard "Let us nature take its course". The real nature, the original nature doesn't exist at all nowaday. In these parks where the wild life is, - theorically -, protected, the dominant animal specie is the tourist. No way for a male lion, or for one member of the "big five" to be completely alone or only with some other lions all the day long without at any moment a car full of tourists comes and bombards him with photos. That is that, the nature now... The contemporary nature.

We had to protect these wild and beautiful animals. But we had to pay the prize. Extant times are made of money !

@Spalea & @Georgel 

I see where u guys r coming from. U guys probably got a point because if we were to let nature take its own course, there will be no lions left.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Spalea - 10-20-2016

@Skybed:

About #415: I don't want to get a point. I only ask myself a question "Where is the real nature now ?" when we say "Let us the nature take its course" (@Polar in #411).

If we let the nature take its own course as you say in #415 without any human intervention, the lions, being evolved and adaptable predator, will proliferate. not one doubt above, about that. Blackie would be dead but the lions would proliferate. But now we are living in a men' world where everywhere the wild life is decimated except into some restricted areas called parks. Inside these parks the rules have changed. Some very efficient vets are able to give a second life to a seriously wounded lion, Blackie, because this is a beautiful male, and because every male lion's life is precious. When in was in Kenya during the 1989 autumn, it was told that every male lion during his life (10 years) brought 500.000 dollars in money to the state, Kenya in this case. (I don't know how this number was determined, I suppose it tooks into account the number of tourists and photos of every lion which are taken, perhaps the number of kilometers covered to admire this one beast...). Things should not have changed since...

In this particular context, wildlife is protected, Blackie's life was saved. But this particular context is not the real nature. The tourists are a dominant element, and indirectly thank to these tourists we can say that some very efficient vets teams can operate.

I don't want to state if it is good or not even if I am happy for Blackie. Without human intervention wild nature would proliferate, but the human specy were not as numerous and dominant as now. It would be very good (for the health of the planet).

Even if we would not look at all these beautiful photos in front of our computers...

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - sanjay - 10-20-2016

Off course nature should take his own course, but if situation is bad human should intervene becasue human are capable of rectifying the problems. Also in most of the cases human are the major reason of animals problem, so if we are the one who are creating these problem for them then we should be the one who should fix these problems.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Tshokwane - 10-20-2016

There is nothing inherently wrong with people helping the animals.

However, when we talk about this, most usually forget that the phrase "letting nature take its course" has a deeper meaning than they give it. Interfering with it has consequences, usually in the form of a weak animal surviving when in fact should have died.

In the case of Blackie last year, there was no human intervention on what happened to him, it was completely natural. The Musketeers beat the crap out of him and left him like that because they sensed it was enough, that he was done. They were only doing their job as dominant males.

Ok, so the vets intervened and Blackie eventually recovered.

What happened later? He killed at least one subadult, one of the sons of the Musketeer males when he invaded the territory. 

And then aaaaaaaall the hypocrites were whining, oh poor boy blah, blah...

So, this is my take on it. Now, that is past and Blackie is ok, in fact he and his hairy brother are thriving. 

But this should be remembered. When there is intervention with no human cause for it, that will create consequences, and no one wants to take responsibility for it.

Credits to Onesmus Ole Irungu.

Scar, Musketeer male. He was with his brother Sikio.

@Spalea regarding post #415

bro I believe u misinterpreted what I am trying to express.

what I am trying to say is that I agree  with u guys in some ways. Humans have taken away so much from these magnificent animals and only the intervention from conservationists prevented lions from extinction.

I must agree with @"Majingilane" on the implications of saving one animal but eventually leading to the death of another.

It has been an interesting debate though.

A couple more of pics of Scar and Sikio, credits to Jackson Looseiya.

Marsh males, Karibu and Rafiki. Credits to Jackson Looseiya.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Tshokwane - 10-21-2016

(10-21-2016, 01:52 AM)Georgel Wrote: I'm not sure at all that he "was done". After the fight he can still walk (in pain, but nevertheless), and if look careful at his wounds can see that these are not really looking lethal. Of course, there is always the risk of infection, but in my opinion the vets only helped him to recover quicker than usual. Last but not least, recently, as we all knows, he and Lipstick chased away another coalition of two large males, so let's forget about the "weakness" of Blackie.

I never said he is a weak male, he's a dominant male.

But I did say that he was done at that time, and I sustain that. There's a reason for the Musketeers leaving him like that, they were sure he was no longer a threat, and also, that's exactly the reason the vets intervened, because they knew that without it, he would have died.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Tshokwane - 10-21-2016

Marsh males, Karibu and Rafiki. Credits to JN Go Wild Osirwa.

This morning we saw charm, karibu and rafiki together, still with the carcas from yesterday's buffalo that was killed by karibu.
Charm baby was with rafiki, rafiki was very friendly with the baby I guess he can be a good father.

Charm seems she don't take care of her baby any more am worried the baby will not survive