WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Tshokwane - 10-16-2016

Offbeat males, called Frank and Jesse. Credits to Timothy Leperes Laur.

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Gamiz - 10-16-2016

@Majingilane, they returned to Offbeat after being chased by the 4Km males?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Tshokwane - 10-16-2016

Quote:they returned to Offbeat after being chased by the 4Km males?

I'm assuming they did, at least so far I haven't seen new updates about how the situation continued. I think the intervention of the 4KM males proved to be very important, otherwise I'm sure they would have defeated Romeo 2 and Mohican.

Nomadic King!

This magnificent male Lion was in the company of another two females who were on a rapid retreat out of the resident prides territory. He would stop every so often to look at his back in case they were being followed. 

Photographed in the Mara Triangle very close to the Tanzania border, Trans Mara, Maasai Mara Game Reserve, Kenya. 

EXIF: ƒ/6.3 : 1/320s : ISO 100 : 350 mm

To view detailed exif and a high resolution image please visit:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mac-kenya/30298904866/

Tatu and Red

Joy sons,  back in the days when they were in charge of Rongai pride.But who was  "Joy" ?  Joy was one of the Three Graces from the Marsh pride , back in the days the Three Graces was a satellite group from the Marsh pride , 3 females called  Siena , Joy and Charm were not accepted by the main pride until  the leader of the pride died (Red the lioness ). Joy gave birth to 4 cubs in january 2011, away from the pride   she managed to raise  the two boys below to maturity , she  gave her life for these two .  In the same year , the 4Musketers tookover the Marsh pride and that was probably the end of her cubs but  .... she was a super mom
Credits to Sadat Aly Khan

Sikio
Credits to MPJ Photography 

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Ngala - 10-16-2016

One of the males is Scarface.

Photo and information credits: Suhas Anand
"Has been a difficult couple of weeks for all lovers of the Mara's Marsh Pride - one of the most famous lion prides thanks to its starring role in BBC's big cat diary. Many of them were poisoned by Maasai cattle herder as revenge to them killing their cattle. Here is a small collection in memory of one of my favorite prides of big cats. Rest in peace, friends." 18 Dec '15

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Pantherinae - 10-17-2016

Huge male lion from Masai Mara being darted at 02:50 in this clip, said he weighed almost 300 kg. Have tried to reach out to the sky vets for more information.. still waiting, but enjoy the clip, starts of with an even bigger looking male. :) 

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Pckts - 10-17-2016

That's an estimate I'd bet, there was no scale on hand that I saw in any of the operations and "close to 300kg" seems a bit much and more like an estimate based on the amount of men needed to carry him.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Pantherinae - 10-17-2016

(10-17-2016, 06:13 AM)Pckts Wrote: That's an estimate I'd bet, there was no scale on hand that I saw in any of the operations and "close to 300kg" seems a bit much and more like an estimate based on the amount of men needed to carry him.

Yeah thought so too, but since they said "as he weighed close to 300 kg". I found it interesting, but let's wait for an answer.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - GrizzlyClaws - 10-17-2016

His paws are indeed huge, and it would be interesting to see a wild male lion weighing up to 300 kg.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Spalea - 10-17-2016

A male lion weighing up to 300 kg ? It would be a giant, titanic, lion... I don't believe it would go unnoticed for a very long time if it really existed .

That said, I'm admiring and impressed by this team vets work.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Tshokwane - 10-17-2016

(10-17-2016, 12:51 PM)Georgel Wrote:  Yeah, in Masai Mara they really do care for the animals (congratulations!), not as in Sabi Sand where some inept rangers killed a whole pride of lions (that is, the Sand River Pride in 2009) only for passing over a fence. Nowadays there are rumors that the rangers from SS had their own contribution to the fall of the Mapogos, whose actions interfered too much with their interests.

It is much more than simply one "caring more" than the others. 

In the Sabi Sands there is no human conflict with the cats as in the Mara, hence there's no need to stick their noses where it doesn't belong. Nature takes its course as it always has.

As for the "rumors". Absurd theories of fanatics that have too much time available.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Ngala - 10-17-2016

(10-17-2016, 03:34 PM)Majingilane Wrote:
(10-17-2016, 12:51 PM)Georgel Wrote:  Yeah, in Masai Mara they really do care for the animals (congratulations!), not as in Sabi Sand where some inept rangers killed a whole pride of lions (that is, the Sand River Pride in 2009) only for passing over a fence. Nowadays there are rumors that the rangers from SS had their own contribution to the fall of the Mapogos, whose actions interfered too much with their interests.

It is much more than simply one "caring more" than the others. 

In the Sabi Sands there is no human conflict with the cats as in the Mara, hence there's no need to stick their noses where it doesn't belong. Nature takes its course as it always has.

As for the "rumors". Absurd theories of fanatics that have too much time available.

Well said Majingilane, well said.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Tshokwane - 10-17-2016

Earless male, credits to Maarten Kant.