WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 02-26-2024

Olobor would be proud of his bro Oloinina!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 02-27-2024

Yeah, probably with Olobor's death his typical aggressive attitudes, behaviour and characteristics were implented and 'got into' his brothers. He strengthens them in such a way from the "other side" to make them successful even without him.

The remaining 3 Rockers altogether

Beautiful photo of Girish Jamadagni

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 02-27-2024

Olepolos also killed a hyena

*This image is copyright of its original author
Incredible photo of Ivan Glaser

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Ngonya - 02-27-2024

some more footage of Olepolos with hyena kill

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 02-27-2024

This was something I was worried about, Oloshipa leading them astray. Have lots of respect for Lorkulup and Oloimina for behaving despite not being the sires. Them searching for Olobor may have brought them further out than normal.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - LyonLover - 02-28-2024

(02-27-2024, 11:59 PM)KM600 Wrote: This was something I was worried about, Oloshipa leading them astray. Have lots of respect for Lorkulup and Oloimina for behaving despite not being the sires. Them searching for Olobor may have brought them further out than normal.

This is not Oloimina. That is Oloshipa shown first & Lorkulup second in the far distance. They are almost certainly looking for Olobor. I have never seen Lorkulup this far away from the Rongai pride before the disappearance of his brother.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-28-2024

(02-27-2024, 11:59 PM)KM600 Wrote: This was something I was worried about, Oloshipa leading them astray. Have lots of respect for Lorkulup and Oloimina for behaving despite not being the sires. Them searching for Olobor may have brought them further out than normal.

There was a bit of a mix up on the identifications originally on this. Oloshipa is the one closest to the female and cubs. Lorkulup is the one seen a distance away in the open grass area.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 02-28-2024

(02-28-2024, 12:38 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:

There was a bit of a mix up on the identifications originally on this. Oloshipa is the one closest to the female and cubs. Lorkulup is the one seen a distance away in the open grass area.

Makes sense, I seen two posts with one claiming it was Oloshipa n Lorkulup and the newer tweet claiming it was Oloimina n Lorkulup.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 02-29-2024

I wouldn't doubt Oloimina and Lorkulop were also domonant over MYF pride  together with Olobor/Oloshipa and we just don't witness it at all. Remember, Lorkulop was speared through his face and if I am not mistaken was in MYF or close to it.

Oloimina dominating Oloshipa, not allowing him to move to the kill! I can't link videos from FB or IG unfortunately but I can bet most have seen the shorts. This was awesome and very telling.  The dynamics are funny, Oloimina dominates Oloshipa but Lorkulop dominates Oloimina. Olobor always dominated Oloimina and from what I remember Oloisiado used to keep Olobor in check. Awesome dynamics. 

Video/photo credits below...

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 02-29-2024

Great news, 4KM grandsons, legacy, off and now kings of their own kingdom! They're Dads and are raising  their 1st set of offspring! 

Their Dad Chungwa was just seen rescently too, let's hop Droopy is still alive and well. 

Credits to Josh Oloshipa.....

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Friarfan619 - 02-29-2024

Question I've seen spear boy on list of victim of hearders, is that from original or did they finish the job???

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - T_Ferguson - 02-29-2024

(02-29-2024, 12:47 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Question I've seen spear boy on list of victim of hearders, is that from original or did they finish the job???

Definitely from the original event, but sadly, I don't think we'll ever know what happened to him, but I read between the lines Ranger Rob put out when he did a mini review of him some months ago that he is also now gone.  Due to the fact that Spearboy was in the Mara, it's very safe to say herders probably killed him while he was taking an easy meal.

This is the problem to me as well.  Many of the "Guides" in the area have to I think keep their true knowledge to themselves lest they be either shunned from the area, or who knows.. speared themselves.

Yes.. I know that is a wild accusation.  I just have zero faith in this area being anything more than a wildlife killing field for the foreseeable future.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 03-01-2024

(02-29-2024, 12:21 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Great news, 4KM grandsons, legacy, off and now kings of their own kingdom! They're Dads and are raising  their 1st set of offspring! 

Their Dad Chungwa was just seen rescently too, let's hop Droopy is still alive and well. 

Credits to Josh Oloshipa.....

Yeah, very great news to not only the Fig Tree Males' (Maridadi&Kaka/Nyekundo&Osupaat) lineage would remain around the Mara as 'straight' male descendants of the 4'km bloodline. There are the 3 Rongai boys descendants too around Naboisho but i always treat them as an "another" or an "outsider" lineage of the late 4'km's because their fathers (Longface&Mohok) were the sons of the other two 4'km brothers most probably from the Mugoro pride (so they weren't Blackie&Lipstick's sons, unlike these). 
Whether what about the offsprings of the Mandevu's in the Black Rock Breakaway pride. Haven't heard them so much lately. I hope they're okay as well, because they should be maturing as from subadults to adult lions sometime right now. 

Here is Chungwa as he is feeding in abundance and seems to be in great shape. Although there are very rare and few reports about them and also from the region where they're most likely, I hope Droopy is OK too.
https://www.facebook.com/100000817410202/videos/745202590910129/

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 03-01-2024

TBT July 2006 - these are 2/3 former Marsh Pride males Clawed and Pavarotti, their 3rd brother was Romeo. These great pictures were taking 1,5 year before they ultimately chased out Notch from Marsh area along with his 5 sons and took over this well-known pride in late 2007 - as BBC's Big Cat Diaries proved it - and then ruled the area for more than 4 years until early 2012 when the 4 young Musketeers finally took over from them. 
They sired a lot of cubs with Marsh lionesses and many of them were made it to adulthood such as 2 of their male offsprings Matajo and Hasani who then became Halftail's fathers, not even mentioned about the 4'seasons girls from 2008 who later formed the current Topi Plains Pride (Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter).

In the meantime, Pavarotti has disappeared for unknown reasons (there were so many human-wildlife conflicts as well at the time, which occured at least 2 of the Marsh lionesses death Red and Lispy unfortunately so this could have been the root cause in his case as well). Thus from late 2000's and early 2010's only Romeo and Clawed were present as dominant force of the pride and when the Musketeers took over.
Clawed:

Pavarotti:

Credits to Martin Bailie 

While they were Marsh pride dominants these males also sired the legend coalition of Bob&Ziggy Marley in Oloololo pride who started as 4 Oloololo males then only 2 of them remained later. These are the males who sired former Hammerkop males (Haile, Loki, Mdogo and Osidai) and Mrefu as well, so Mdogo and Osidai are also their straight male offsprings among the current living lions in the Mara. (It is a good question if Halftail and Mrefu still around)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 03-03-2024

(03-01-2024, 04:53 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote: (It is a good question if Halftail and Mrefu still around)

2 entirely plausible situations for these boys here, nevermind HWC as its always a high possibility,  im not minimizing it but just adding other very likely scenarios that very well could have happened. 

Mrefu and Spikey were filmed on a kill with the 4 Paradise subs. Then, soon after, we saw 6 Pack males chasing both Spikey and Mrefu off the kill.  So both could have been killed or injured by 6 Pack males at that time. 

2 possibilities for Halftail, not including HWC....  

At the early time of his MIA, Kiok and Kibo along with Koshoke were video'd with bad facial injuries in the Marsh. Some speculated fighting for mating rights but it is entirely possible they caught Halftail and killed him..

2nd.... 4 days ago Oloisikut Conservancy mentioned they saw Halftail in their area. No pics, no video, nothing. I have tried to contact them to no avail. Im still waiting to find out.

Fingers crossed Oloisikut was correct and he is alive. Time will tell. 

1 more unrelated thing.... Saruni, 1/4 MNC Boys is likely gone. All 3 other brothers have been videoed rescently. I got a lot of conflicting info lately but the videos of his bros and not of him when he should have been there pretty much confirms it for me. Shame, not sure what happened. He was last filmed in Oct/Nov healing from injuries he sustained from Seenka and bros.