WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-20-2024

Lorkulup (slide two) Oloimina (slide three) Oloshipa (slide four). 

Previously injured Sopa male has finally been sighted again.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - T_Ferguson - 02-20-2024

(02-20-2024, 05:29 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Lorkulup (slide two) Oloimina (slide three) Oloshipa (slide four). 

Is Slide 1 Olonkera?  It's been said he's been back with the pride since Olobor was removed from us.

(02-20-2024, 05:44 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(02-20-2024, 05:29 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Lorkulup (slide two) Oloimina (slide three) Oloshipa (slide four). 

Is Slide 1 Olonkera?  It's been said he's been back with the pride since Olobor was removed from us.

Yes, that's him. He came back into the fold once Olobor and Oloshipa went back to the Maji ya Fisi area to hang out with the Maji ya Fisi Pride.

(02-20-2024, 05:49 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(02-20-2024, 05:44 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:

Yes, that's him. He came back into the fold once Olobor and Oloshipa went back to the Maji ya Fisi area to hang out with the Maji ya Fisi Pride.

That's good for him. He was a bit young to be on his own in that region. Lurkulup has always tolerated him quite well. Eventually, he'll be pushed again, but hopefully a few months.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 02-20-2024

(02-20-2024, 05:33 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: injured Sopa male has finally been sighted again.

His brother Osidai is alive and well also. RIP Haile and Loki.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 02-20-2024

(02-15-2024, 06:16 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Here is the honest answer.  I am not a brilliant man.  I am barely a smart one.  The issue is, this area of the world is filled with people.  These people have been living on the fringes of our modern world for over a century, and many of them want in on it.  Some of their people have escaped and gotten a bigger taste of this world only to go back home and live in secluded luxury, which just baits at the rest of them.  There is barely any law enforcement here unless you are one of these privileged people I just spoke of, and all you want is a way to support and raise up your family.  Right now, that is by raising livestock, or farming, or some other off the land occupation.  That puts you in direct conflict with the local inhabitants.  All the animals we have come to know.

So how do you make these people NOT want to get a better life for themselves and leave these animals alone?  You almost certainly can't.  The answers are going to require governmental scales of money.  The only 2 options I see are... We create fully modern living spaces like what the Saudi's are proposing with that line city that has all you need within a 15-minute walk (not a free way to live), so that the people have lives that take them out of the conflict.  Or, we remove all of the people from Kenya, Botswana, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Congo, Malawi, Mozambique, and wall the whole thing off with full military guard and anti-air defenses, and leave the animals left inside alone.

Unfortunately in Kenya the livestock industry is the leading financial institution in the country and tourism is a tiny, tiny, tiny part of it. A lot of people, mostly from the West because that's how we know how to deal with certain things, are calling for boycots and all that of tourism. Im afraid this will have a terrible impact on the wildlife were striving to keep safe. An example, look at cv19, tourism basically died for a year or so and it had little to no effect in the country. Livestock was still thriving and supporting their economy. So if people are successful boycotting this will just allow more illegal grazing into the reserve and the animals will suffer greatly. I have not the answer Unfortunately.  I know there are a handful of rangers/guides, most freelance guides who drive for many different lodges, who are bad apples and are contributing to this problem. They have family connections into the Narok County govt and Massai Mara Reserve administration. 2 example is Lenny Koshal, Dennis Koshal, both crooked guides who have been in the midst of many lion spearing cover ups and especially Olobor. Their family member Christine Koshal is the Madsai Mara Chief Park Administrator and is the reason many investigations by KWS get squashed. These people are a stain on the good people of Kenya.

(02-20-2024, 12:24 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(02-15-2024, 06:16 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Here is the honest answer.  I am not a brilliant man.  I am barely a smart one.  The issue is, this area of the world is filled with people.  These people have been living on the fringes of our modern world for over a century, and many of them want in on it.  Some of their people have escaped and gotten a bigger taste of this world only to go back home and live in secluded luxury, which just baits at the rest of them.  There is barely any law enforcement here unless you are one of these privileged people I just spoke of, and all you want is a way to support and raise up your family.  Right now, that is by raising livestock, or farming, or some other off the land occupation.  That puts you in direct conflict with the local inhabitants.  All the animals we have come to know.

So how do you make these people NOT want to get a better life for themselves and leave these animals alone?  You almost certainly can't.  The answers are going to require governmental scales of money.  The only 2 options I see are... We create fully modern living spaces like what the Saudi's are proposing with that line city that has all you need within a 15-minute walk (not a free way to live), so that the people have lives that take them out of the conflict.  Or, we remove all of the people from Kenya, Botswana, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Congo, Malawi, Mozambique, and wall the whole thing off with full military guard and anti-air defenses, and leave the animals left inside alone.

Unfortunately in Kenya the livestock industry is the leading financial institution in the country and tourism is a tiny, tiny, tiny part of it. A lot of people, mostly from the West because that's how we know how to deal with certain things, are calling for boycots and all that of tourism. Im afraid this will have a terrible impact on the wildlife were striving to keep safe. An example, look at cv19, tourism basically died for a year or so and it had little to no effect in the country. Livestock was still thriving and supporting their economy. So if people are successful boycotting this will just allow more illegal grazing into the reserve and the animals will suffer greatly. I have not the answer Unfortunately.  I know there are a handful of rangers/guides, most freelance guides who drive for many different lodges, who are bad apples and are contributing to this problem. They have family connections into the Narok County govt and Massai Mara Reserve administration. 2 example is Lenny Koshal, Dennis Koshal, both crooked guides who have been in the midst of many lion spearing cover ups and especially Olobor. Their family member Christine Koshal is the Madsai Mara Chief Park Administrator and is the reason many investigations by KWS get squashed. These people are a stain on the good people of Kenya.

Right.  I don't know Kenya very well, but my wife has worked for companies that are owned by citizens and former citizens of Ghanna, Togo, Liberia, and lots of West African nations.  For people from the West to try and apply their secluded naive logic to the nations of Africa is really just... well, it's normal for our world these days.  This is why I say about the only thing you can do is clear out all of the people, or find new ways for them to live, which would require solutions that may be less palatable to those in their comfy existences.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Franco - 02-22-2024

(08-31-2022, 11:04 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(08-31-2022, 05:52 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: BigLion39 you are very knowledgeble about Masai Mara lions, it would be great if you can make some map of Mara and their lions? I think most people here (including me) have very little knowledge about locations of these prides and coalitions in Mara.

Wow thank you for thinking of me here!  I would love a map of the different coalitions and prides of the Mara as well. Ill see if I can find someone knowledgeable on social media and maybe we can get a map going.  I don't have a grasp on all the locations yet. It gets confusing because prides have more than one name, for example Fig Tree Pride is really called Olkiombo Pride and then even more confusing is the Moniko- Sankai Pride. In one conservancy ita called Moniko but they have territory in the Reserve and they are referred to as Sankai Pride. Very confusing. Ill see what I can do.
Did this map ever get done?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Redroadmale - 02-23-2024

How many cubs does rekero pride have

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-23-2024

Oloimina, Oloshipa, and Lorkulup seen together patrolling their territory yesterday. They took down a buffalo later on.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 02-23-2024

(02-23-2024, 09:37 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Oloimina, Oloshipa, and Lorkulup seen together patrolling their territory yesterday. They took down a buffalo later on.

Hopefully he sticks around. With the loss of Olobor, it’s not completely out of the question for Oloshipa to continue sharing his time between the MFY Pride and Rongai Pride which could even intrigue Oloimina to join him. I also want to see how it affects Oloshipa’s mentality, sure Lorkulup and Oloimina are deserving pride males but they’re not Olobor. They don’t have that same unbeaten feeling/confidence around them.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 02-24-2024

While from the central areas the terrible news has come in series (the death of Olobor, disappearance of Nyekundo and some appalling matchete's cuts on Mdogo's body) life doesn't stop in the north either, but here at least not because of HWC...
The 3 big Sankai Boys who were expelled from Lemek Conservancy by the 4 Mara North Males 1,5 year ago then tried to live a quite restrained life in the sparsely populated Enonkishu and Olchoro Oiruwa Conservancy, now probably decided to demand back Lemek as their own from the MN males after they collected some confidence and now are in their absolute prime with their 7 years. As MN males will be 10 this year, their age probably starts to show on them slowly, especially with one of them still wasn't confirmed detected for months now so this could be a harsh rechallenge to them against these 3 larger, younger and now stronger males.
These current sightings show the big brothers intruding to Lemek and make known their presence for sure.

Seenka Kini and Lemurt started their journey down to Lemek

*This image is copyright of its original author
Lisa Ann Shelton

Right before started to roaring to show their presence the 3 majestic boys carefully looked around and surveyed the terrain firstly

Credits thanks to Raphael Rotiken

Then they're a bit scattered and remarkably walking and running all around their rivals territory

https://fb.watch/qoXr-CB00V/

Credits to Mattikoko safari camp

Interesting to see what would be the outcome of the potential clash between these two great coalitions.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 02-25-2024

Haven't heard anything after 2 days of what was the outcome between 3 Sankai boys vs MNC Boys. Im not even sure all 4 MNC Boys are with us anymore. I've been getting conflicting reports. What I can say with 100% certainty is Osidai and Oronkai are still around. Theres definitely a 3rd brother, now weather its Saruni or Ntui i cannot get a definitive answer.  Time will tell.  This might be why Seenka, Lemurt, and Kini travel back to Lemek, they might have sensed and advantage, possibly a chink in the MNC Boys armor.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Ngonya - 02-26-2024