WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 12-06-2023

(12-06-2023, 12:14 AM)KM600 Wrote: Interesting that the BRBs know they’re outnumbered, well atleast against the Salas males and yet are so persistent with intruding in enemy territory despite already having 2 prides. Seem to be very comfortable over there aswell, seen a video a week or so ago of Oloshipa chilling by himself in Salas territory. Resident males are lucky it’s just the 2 BRBs who want to expand their territory, not all 4.

Fig Tree Boys were reported to have ran them out of the area not that long ago. Fear that Olobor is going to push his luck one too many times one of these days.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 12-06-2023

(12-06-2023, 01:25 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 12:14 AM)KM600 Wrote: Interesting that the BRBs know they’re outnumbered, well atleast against the Salas males and yet are so persistent with intruding in enemy territory despite already having 2 prides. Seem to be very comfortable over there aswell, seen a video a week or so ago of Oloshipa chilling by himself in Salas territory. Resident males are lucky it’s just the 2 BRBs who want to expand their territory, not all 4.

Fig Tree Boys were reported to have ran them out of the area not that long ago. Fear that Olobor is going to push his luck one too many times one of these days.

Heard the same thing too, and yh I’d prefer them to just stay as pride males with their only fighting being to protect their prides. Problem is they’ve been successful with females when going into other territories so unlikely they’ll stop anytime soon, just don’t want them to overextend themselves.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 12-07-2023

Hopefully no bloodshed. Osapuk and Olepelos were seen yesterday patrolling. Orkitok was videoed alone and not limping. Im pretty sure it was a short, quick excusion and Olobor/Oloshipa are back inside their own territory. I saw a new video of Oloshipa alone yesterday.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 12-09-2023

The 3 remaining majestic Sankai boys Kini, Lemurt and Seenka at Olchoro Oirouwa Conservancy

All 3 are sons of late Croton Island male Olerai, but Kini is a spit of him with his fully blondish mane.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 12-09-2023

The last remaining 1/3  Oldikdik boy Orkuret and a lioness. Seems when Olobor/Oloshipa crossed the Talek on their excursion they ran into this guy and slapped him around a bit. Im wondering where are the  Moniko-Sabkai lionesses with he and his brothers offspring. They have to be big subs by now as they took over this Pride sometime 2020-2021. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 12-09-2023

(12-09-2023, 12:03 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: They have to be big subs by now as they took over this Pride sometime 2020-2021.
Sorry, but this couldn't be possible as Olope and Olbarikoi were the dominant males of Sankai pride at least until late 2021 but even more like until early 2022 if i'm correct. They took over the pride from Olerai&Olekiti in the late 2010's and after they chased away their subadult sons, the young Sankai boys - who were featured 2 posts above this - immadiately became the dominant force. Although in late 2020 and 2021 they already have started to roamed into the Main Reserve from the pride but then they always still returned to their Sankai's territory if i remember correctly. So, if everything is fixed the 3 Ordikdik boys could took over the pride just at the start of 2022, because there wasn't any clash between the two coalitions, at least there were no news of such a thing. All this happened right after Olope&Olbarikoi already took over Porini and Fig Tree breakaway prides.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 12-09-2023

(12-09-2023, 12:03 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: The last remaining 1/3  Oldikdik boy Orkuret and a lioness. Seems when Olobor/Oloshipa crossed the Talek on their excursion they ran into this guy and slapped him around a bit. Im wondering where are the  Moniko-Sabkai lionesses with he and his brothers offspring. They have to be big subs by now as they took over this Pride sometime 2020-2021. 

If I had to guess he prolly had lionesses with him cos it doesn’t sound like Olobor and Oloshipa to do this little damage in a fight, I’ve heard of maybe two cases where for whatever reason they’ve allowed a male go into submission and sent him on his way without trying to do any real damage, and one of these was the younger BRBs.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Spalea - 12-12-2023

I just come to discover this video showing two beautiful male lions patrolling their territory:

" The two dominant lions of the Enkoyonai lion pride Osupaat and Nyekundo (Sons of Kaka and Maridadi) had been deep in the Sala's coalition"s territory before bumping into them. Here we catch up with them as they head back to their own territory.

Filmed In The Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya
"

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 12-12-2023

(12-09-2023, 02:40 PM)Lipstick2 Wrote: Sorry, but this couldn't be possible as Olope and Olbarikoi were the dominant males of Sankai pride at least until late 2021 but even more like until early 2022 if i'm correct. They took over the pride from Olerai&Olekiti in the late 2010's and after they chased away their subadult sons, the young Sankai boys - who were featured 2 posts above this - immadiately became the dominant force. Although in late 2020 and 2021 they already have started to roamed into the Main Reserve from the pride but then they always still returned to their Sankai's territory if i remember correctly. So, if everything is fixed the 3 Ordikdik boys could took over the pride just at the start of 2022, because there wasn't any clash between the two coalitions, at least there were no news of such a thing. All this happened right after Olope&Olbarikoi already took over Porini and Fig Tree breakaway prides.

As there are many different named "Sankai" prides; Moniko- Sankai, Sankai-Hammerkop (sometimes referred), and I think 2 other "Sankai's". I meant the pride Lipstick2/Blackie2 had which 3 Dikdik boys took back in 2020. I remember vividly and distinctly because it happened around the beginning of the nightmare cv19 bs and the gorgeous Lipstick2 (which your handle is) was never seen again .  My appoligies as I mixed up the 2 pride names but I meant Hammerkop which is also referred to as Sankai or a breakaway of Sankai. The Sankai pride is the most confusing pride  ,IMHO,  I have never been able to get a straight answer as to the correct make up of these prides. I know 4 Lemek Boys also have Hammekop, but it is a very different Hammerkop than the pride Dikdik boys had and Lipstick2/Blackie2 from what I've been told .

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 12-12-2023

(12-09-2023, 07:08 PM)KM600 Wrote: If I had to guess he prolly had lionesses with him cos it doesn’t sound like Olobor and Oloshipa to do this little damage in a fight, I’ve heard of maybe two cases where for whatever reason they’ve allowed a male go into submission and sent him on his way without trying to do any real damage, and one of these was the younger BRBs.

Olobor/Oloshipa are just regular territorial lions and have, in the past left males they've found undamaged and really didn't bother. Off the top of my head I can think of 1 time, if I remember correctly, Kutiti. They gave him small smack, roared, argued and let him be. Like you said I think Kutiti was with a lioness and Olobor took off after her with Oloshipa in tail. Probably like you guessed same thing happened here with Dikdik boy I bet.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mabande - 12-12-2023

Hello, are there 2 lion coalitions referred as Lemek male lions. I know of the 5 male coalition sired by Olerai Olekiti around 2017. They are territorial in Lemek Conservancy right? There is another Lemek coalition isn't it which is dominant over majority prides in the OMC right? Is this 2nd Lemek coalition sired by the first one?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 12-13-2023

(12-12-2023, 02:20 PM)Mabande Wrote: Hello, are there 2 lion coalitions referred as Lemek male lions. I know of the 5 male coalition sired by Olerai Olekiti around 2017. They are territorial in Lemek Conservancy right? There is another Lemek coalition isn't it which is dominant over majority prides in the OMC right? Is this 2nd Lemek coalition sired by the first one?
Yeah, these 5 males - Seenka Lemurt Kini are alive and Lerai and Merrinyo no longer with us - are always referred as Sankai boys originally, because they were born into Sankai pride sired by Olerai&Olekiti as u said. After they left their natal pride went to the north to Lemek Conservancy and took over Lemek mainly from the pair of Derre&Barrikoi former pride males (fathers of the 4 current Lemek males around OMC and former Lookout pride males Spikey&Enkuroto) right around 2020. This is why they received the name Lemek over time. However last year they were slowly forced out by the 4 ex-Iseketa/ex-Offbeat/Mara North Males and exiled to more north into Olchoro where they're still hanging out mostly, so i think they shouldn't keep called by 'Lemek' for now thus we can keep with 'Sankai' boys. 

While the 4 'Lemek' males you were talked about have got their name after they were born into Lemek Pride so it's refer to their natal pride.

(12-12-2023, 12:46 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(12-09-2023, 02:40 PM)Lipstick2 Wrote: Sorry, but this couldn't be possible as Olope and Olbarikoi were the dominant males of Sankai pride at least until late 2021 but even more like until early 2022 if i'm correct. They took over the pride from Olerai&Olekiti in the late 2010's and after they chased away their subadult sons, the young Sankai boys - who were featured 2 posts above this - immadiately became the dominant force. Although in late 2020 and 2021 they already have started to roamed into the Main Reserve from the pride but then they always still returned to their Sankai's territory if i remember correctly. So, if everything is fixed the 3 Ordikdik boys could took over the pride just at the start of 2022, because there wasn't any clash between the two coalitions, at least there were no news of such a thing. All this happened right after Olope&Olbarikoi already took over Porini and Fig Tree breakaway prides.

As there are many different named "Sankai" prides; Moniko- Sankai, Sankai-Hammerkop (sometimes referred), and I think 2 other "Sankai's". I meant the pride Lipstick2/Blackie2 had which 3 Dikdik boys took back in 2020. I remember vividly and distinctly because it happened around the beginning of the nightmare cv19 bs and the gorgeous Lipstick2 (which your handle is) was never seen again .  My appoligies as I mixed up the 2 pride names but I meant Hammerkop which is also referred to as Sankai or a breakaway of Sankai. The Sankai pride is the most confusing pride  ,IMHO,  I have never been able to get a straight answer as to the correct make up of these prides. I know 4 Lemek Boys also have Hammekop, but it is a very different Hammerkop than the pride Dikdik boys had and Lipstick2/Blackie2 from what I've been told .
You'd be correct. I thought we were talking about ex-Moniko/Sankai pride - I think this is the pride which always refer as the main Sankai for now.
Ex-Rekero Breakaway Boys Blackie2&Lipstick2 were indeed Hammerkop pride males until 2020.
But yeah, Sankais' names are so tough and there are too much confusions about their names which can be easily mixed-up with each other...i think we should call only the ex-Moniko pride as Sankai at this point which were ruled by Olope&Olbarikoi.

1/2 Maji Ya Fisi boys Bully or Limper in Naboisho Conservancy
Credit: Antony Kantai

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 12-18-2023

Would strongly advise u to mute the video, the sound of the bird is extremely annoying.
From 0:40 onwards those are some big male subadults despite their age, don’t look that much smaller than the female that’s behind them.