WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 10-08-2023

(10-08-2023, 01:20 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 12:22 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 12:19 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 12:15 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 12:13 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(10-07-2023, 09:49 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Really nice video of Olobor and Oloshipa being awakened by a young male cub. Their reaction is great, those boys are really good fathers, we've all seen many other males react in a less welcoming and friendly way, especially the way he surprised them.

I have to post the link, as the video owner doesn't allow embedding.
Think that’s Olonkera as the video is from 2022, only started following his journey this year but I’ve never seen him on an empty stomach, nor the rest of the Rongai Pride for that matter.

Is that the young male that the lionesses had treated so harshly, and the males protected him?
Yh also known as the ‘cub-sitter’ which to me seems strange as the lionesses have attacked him several times for whatever reason but then go and leave their cubs with him.

Maybe they think he's taking more than his fair share of the meals. I mean, look at that belly, that young lion isn't going hungry.

Their aggression towards him was more centered on protecting the newer cubs when they were smaller given the age difference between them. Olonkera (the young male) never showed any aggressive tendencies towards the cubs, though. Now that the cubs are older the lionesses are far more relaxed with Olonkera being around. He's helped out on securing meals as well.

Here's one clip of him with the younger members of the pride. 

Wow, he's really filling out well. Thank you for the backstory @Mwk85, my friend!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 10-08-2023

(10-08-2023, 12:53 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 12:40 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 12:33 AM)KM600 Wrote: Don’t want to say the other members of the pride are just as big cos his belly is massive in that video, but they’re bulky themselves. Must have a lot of great hunters along with a prime territory that allows access to all types of food.

Hm, Olobor's face is swollen in this video, and it is fairly recent. Wonder what is happening with that.

The pride, as you mentioned, they all seem to have that full belly sway going on, for sure.
Lorkulup*, he was speared a while ago and also has sinus infections after receiving a kick to the head from a buffalo.

Ah yes, I recall that incident very well. So much HWC in the Mara, it is really sad for all the harm it is causing.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 10-09-2023

Marsh Boy named Orkirikoi. Seems he resembles Chongo. Well see as he grows older maybe Koshoke sired him? He is a big boy tho, bigger and bulkier than his partner the Dirishna or Kitchwa boy, son of Fang and Short Tail. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 10-09-2023

Olobor and Oloshipa with Topi pride lioness again close by Double Cross. Salas Boys are dangerous and these 2 Rockers need to be very alert and careful. Salas are proven killers and are very successful males. Rockers will need there 2 brothers if they want to expand and take Topi pride from Salas Boys.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Horizon - 10-10-2023

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

2 of the eldest sons of snyggve and tryggve, were seen near the territory that used to be their of fathers and that is now occupied by the saba bora boys, These guys are a part of the enormous legacy that snyggve and tryggve left throughout the Serengeti, their legacy is more than guaranteed for many years to come.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Horizon - 10-10-2023

The Salas Coalition: Three Brothers as One!

Each member is skillfully showcased in a series of photographs captured by @supeyo.wild. Leading the coalition is Olopoles, portrayed in the first photo, followed by his fierce brother, Osapuk, in the second photo. The third photo features the determined brother, Orkitok, who bears a distinctive limp. Together, these brothers constitute one of Mara's most formidable alliances, bound by an unbreakable bond. Their unity is a familiar sight as they stand shoulder to shoulder, jointly commanding the territories of two prominent prides: Rekero and the grandest pride in all of Mara, known as the “Topi Pride”.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 10-10-2023

(10-10-2023, 01:08 PM)Horizon Wrote:

2 of the eldest sons of snyggve and tryggve, were seen near the territory that used to be their of fathers and that is now occupied by the saba bora boys, These guys are a part of the enormous legacy that snyggve and tryggve left throughout the Serengeti, their legacy is more than guaranteed for many years to come.

Snyggve and Tryggve were absolute legends, and two of the finest manes you'll ever see on a male lion. I see their sons got those same genes. Are the Saba Bora boys the ones who recently killed Snyggve, not too long back?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 10-11-2023

(10-10-2023, 07:05 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-10-2023, 01:08 PM)Horizon Wrote:

Snyggve and Tryggve were absolute legends, and two of the finest manes you'll ever see on a male lion. I see their sons got those same genes. Are the Saba Bora boys the ones who recently killed Snyggve, not too long back?

Yes, that would be them.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 10-11-2023

Thus the hatred begins. Young male lion, at first almost seems playful with a hyena cub, then the clan begins to attack his sisters who were also tormenting the little hyena, and the young male got serious really quick, stands his ground and keeps the clan at bay. I wonder if these lions will be so playful next time.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 10-15-2023

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 10-15-2023

(10-15-2023, 08:59 PM)KM600 Wrote:

There's a total of 4 BRBs and 3 Salas Boys, right? Have any cubs been killed to this point?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 10-15-2023

(10-15-2023, 09:28 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 08:59 PM)KM600 Wrote:

There's a total of 4 BRBs and 3 Salas Boys, right? Have any cubs been killed to this point?
Haven’t heard of any cubs being killed, all I know is that the Topi lionesses must have shown enough interest towards the Black Rockers to convince them to atleast attempt a takeover, some weeks ago the Salas Boys were in BRB territory so they’re definitely aware of each other. 
As I’ve said before I don’t follow MM lions as much, but from all I’ve heard both coalitions are extremely aggressive so the resolution won’t be imminent. One thing I will say tho is despite BRB being outnumbered as they are normally in 2 groups, them getting the Salas boys to chase them or instead doing the chasing benefits them as Salas male Orkitok has a bad paw.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mapokser - 10-16-2023

Olobor and Oloshipa seems to be trying this entirely on their own instead of summoning the help of theitheir brothers.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 10-16-2023

New update:
Anyone have a map so I can understand which coalitions rule what areas in MM and how close the BRB territory and Salas Boys territory are to each other? 

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 10-16-2023

So this happened in nomads land, Fig Tree pride territory, basically in between Rongai and Topi pride territory, kind of. Sins Olope and Olbarikoi were killed Fig Tree pride vacated the area. Many lions have been seen now traversing the area as we seen before when Olobor/Oloshipa vs Osupaat/Nyekendu. Since then 2 BRB's have basically made this part of their territory. 3 Salas Boys made excursions here and Olobor/Oloshipa chased them out. This was nowhere near Rongai and Maji Ya Fisi prides with cubs. All safe and good. Salas went back to Topi and BRBs back to Rongai. Everybody's safe hopefully no bloodshed in the future. Yopi youngsters are coming to the age that Salas feel they've done their job and they probably will move on soon.