WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 10-02-2023

(10-02-2023, 06:57 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote: Yeah, these Ordikdik/Sankai pride males aren't/weren't so impressive, maybe i'll risk that they were one of the poorest and most under-maned coalition. In fact, i'd like to say straight that Olbarnoti's descendants (with most of the Bilashakas and Iseketa males) are not my favourites. He was a very successful pride male along with L., but he has so many short-maned sons all around the Mara and they're not the prettiest.

Yeah I'm not sure why a lot of theirbsons have small manes. Theyre all pretty bulky lions just lack in the mane department. These 3 Dikdik boys might have been from Olekiti too, similar to Lerai  1/5 Sankai Boys with the small mane. Its not 100% who sired all 3 as both coalitions were there at the time. Going by looks id say either Olbarnoti or Olekiti.  
Not all Olbarnotis sons have small manes, Doa, RIP,  very impressive male is spitting image of young Olbarnoti. Kibogoyo actually has an ok mane now that it has grown back. Koshoke, IMHO, Its a toss up if he's actually Olbarnoti son. I think he actually looks more like Ololparpit but thays just me.  If we look at Junior, Sala, and Cheza their brothers they had pretty good manes. I wonder if any of their sons had good manes?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 10-02-2023

(10-02-2023, 10:23 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: These 3 Dikdik boys might have been from Olekiti too, similar to Lerai  1/5 Sankai Boys with the small mane.
Don't forget, there are 2 other Oldikik Boys too who are far younger than these Sankai pride males. Unlike them, i think these still young and most likely nomad boys are sure the sons of Olekiti and Olerai. 

(10-02-2023, 10:23 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Koshoke, IMHO, Its a toss up if he's actually Olbarnoti son.
Only Chongo was sired by Lolparpit into the Bilashakas imho, but it's neither sure to me as i was always confused by Babayao&Doa's origins (probably sweet borthers). But Koshoke, Kiok and Kibogoyo are 100% sons of Olbarnoti, they're spitting image of him as they've got fully-grown males for now. Almost the same with most of the 4 Iseketa males.

(10-02-2023, 10:23 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: If we look at Junior, Sala, and Cheza their brothers they had pretty good manes. I wonder if any of their sons had good manes?

All 4 Musketeers had great and pretty large manes especially Sikio and Scarface. 
Musketeers' sons, who have grown up now, for example 2/3 Paradise Boys also have great manes. They're around the Tanzanian border area now. 
(10-02-2023, 10:23 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Theyre all pretty bulky lions just lack in the mane department.
Agreed, and this can be said all of about Olbarnoti's sons. 

Btw 5 Enkoyonai boys don't belong here as it's already visible that they will be/have more impressive manes despite their still young age. At least more impressive will have than most of their older half-brothers i think. In my opinion most of these Enkoyonai boys are from Lolparpit.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 10-03-2023

Sorry but I one of those online'ers who don't know how to quote individual parts of a post in the same reply so forgive me if its confusing to read. 

Yeah I was only referring to the 3 older Dikdik boys who ousted Blackie2/Lipstick2. There is confusion on who sired the 3, either L&O or O&O.....

There was something like 9 or 10 younger Dikdik boys and yeah they were 100% sired by Olerai/Olekiti. Most have disappeared unfortunately. I know 4 have been seen in the last 6 months. 

Baba and Doa were most likely litter mates. Baba looked exactly like a young Ololparpit but Doa could go either way as sometimes he looked like a young Olbarnoti. Sometimes its confusing. 

If you take a pic of Ololparpit in his prime and take a pic of Koshoke there faces are al.ost clones. I've always said  he is Ololparputs son. 

Isaketa Boys is a split.... Osidai is a clone of Ololparpit and Saruni is definitely Ololparpits son. Ntui and Oronkai look more like their moms but definitely Olbarnotis kids.

Musketeers were all impressive. Nobody can 100% confirm that they were sired by Cheza, Sala, and Junior. I've spoken to the woman that took those pics of Sikio and Morani as cubs with the older males. Nobody has 100% id'd the older males in any of the pics. Also she is not 100% sire if she was actually in Olkiombo or the Ronkai area. The Muskies could very well be sired by the 3 old Ronkai males. None of the 4Muskies look like any of the 5 Brothers L&O, Sala, Cheza, Junior. Either way the 4 Muskies were very impressive. Oh that reminds me, nobody has done a tribute for Morani. IMHO, he has left this world and as the last serving Muskie to pass I think we need a tribute!!!!

I agree 3/6 Offbeat males are Ololparpits. Jicho and Mwana i bet are Olbarnoti. Not sure what Doda would have looked like unfortunately and Lenkoe is most likely by Romeo2 or Blackie.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 10-03-2023

TBT - Old legend Lolparpit 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Photo of Ramachandiran Govindaraj (@ramachandirangovindaraj)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 10-04-2023

(10-03-2023, 01:46 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Nobody can 100% confirm that they were sired by Cheza, Sala, and Junior. I've spoken to the woman that took those pics of Sikio and Morani as cubs with the older males. Nobody has 100% id'd the older males in any of the pics. Also she is not 100% sire if she was actually in Olkiombo or the Ronkai area.
As far as i know, the Musketeers were born into the Olkiombo pride and that time Cheza Sala&Junior were the pride males. 
(10-03-2023, 01:46 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: None of the 4Muskies look like any of the 5 Brothers L&O, Sala, Cheza, Junior.

Well then the Musketeers showed some similarities to at least Cheza and Sala in my opinion. I didn't know well the late 3 Rongai males but as far as i remember, they weren't so impressive males. But it may remain as a riddle to all of us forever.
(10-03-2023, 01:46 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Lenkoe is most likely by Romeo2 or Blackie
Agreed, Lenkoe is could be sired by both Romeo2 and Lolparpit. I don't think the 4'km males had had something to do with the Enkoyonai pride at that time. This was right after the clash between Romeo2&Mohican and Jesse&Frank. The 4'km males just intruded sometimes the territories due to the clashes, but there weren't any reports about that they mated with Enkoyonai females.

(10-03-2023, 01:46 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Oh that reminds me, nobody has done a tribute for Morani.
 Yeah, it's very possible he is no longer with us after 15 years...

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 10-07-2023

Really nice video of Olobor and Oloshipa being awakened by a young male cub. Their reaction is great, those boys are really good fathers, we've all seen many other males react in a less welcoming and friendly way, especially the way he surprised them.

I have to post the link, as the video owner doesn't allow embedding.

https://youtu.be/hP7mm57Xf4I?si=pu8dpDG71cDjXXG0

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 10-08-2023

(10-07-2023, 09:49 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Really nice video of Olobor and Oloshipa being awakened by a young male cub. Their reaction is great, those boys are really good fathers, we've all seen many other males react in a less welcoming and friendly way, especially the way he surprised them.

Think that’s Olonkera as the video is from 2022, only started following his journey this year but I’ve never seen him on an empty stomach, nor the rest of the Rongai Pride for that matter.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 10-08-2023

(10-08-2023, 12:13 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(10-07-2023, 09:49 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Really nice video of Olobor and Oloshipa being awakened by a young male cub. Their reaction is great, those boys are really good fathers, we've all seen many other males react in a less welcoming and friendly way, especially the way he surprised them.

Think that’s Olonkera as the video is from 2022, only started following his journey this year but I’ve never seen him on an empty stomach, nor the rest of the Rongai Pride for that matter.

Is that the young male that the lionesses had treated so harshly, and the males protected him?

(10-08-2023, 12:15 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

Is that the young male that the lionesses had treated so harshly, and the males protected him?
Yh also known as the ‘cub-sitter’ which to me seems strange as the lionesses have attacked him several times for whatever reason but then go and leave their cubs with him.

(10-08-2023, 12:19 AM)KM600 Wrote:

Yh also known as the ‘cub-sitter’ which to me seems strange as the lionesses have attacked him several times for whatever reason but then go and leave their cubs with him.

Maybe they think he's taking more than his fair share of the meals. I mean, look at that belly, that young lion isn't going hungry.

Don’t want to say the other members of the pride are just as big cos his belly is massive in that video, but they’re bulky themselves. Must have a lot of great hunters along with a prime territory that allows access to all types of food.

(10-08-2023, 12:33 AM)KM600 Wrote: Don’t want to say the other members of the pride are just as big cos his belly is massive in that video, but they’re bulky themselves. Must have a lot of great hunters along with a prime territory that allows access to all types of food.

Hm, Olobor's face is swollen in this video, and it is fairly recent. Wonder what is happening with that.

The pride, as you mentioned, they all seem to have that full belly sway going on, for sure.

(10-08-2023, 12:40 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 12:33 AM)KM600 Wrote: Don’t want to say the other members of the pride are just as big cos his belly is massive in that video, but they’re bulky themselves. Must have a lot of great hunters along with a prime territory that allows access to all types of food.

Hm, Olobor's face is swollen in this video, and it is fairly recent. Wonder what is happening with that.

The pride, as you mentioned, they all seem to have that full belly sway going on, for sure.
Lorkulup*, he was speared a while ago and also has sinus infections after receiving a kick to the head from a buffalo.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 10-08-2023

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 10-08-2023

(10-08-2023, 12:22 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 12:19 AM)KM600 Wrote:

Maybe they think he's taking more than his fair share of the meals. I mean, look at that belly, that young lion isn't going hungry.

Their aggression towards him was more centered on protecting the newer cubs when they were smaller given the age difference between them. Olonkera (the young male) never showed any aggressive tendencies towards the cubs, though. Now that the cubs are older the lionesses are far more relaxed with Olonkera being around. He's helped out on securing meals as well.

Here's one clip of him with the younger members of the pride.