WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 09-20-2023

Drama in MNC as 2 coalitions of half brothers confront each other. Encoyunai Boys killed a Hippo, Jicho was still at the kill. 3/4 Isaketa Boys; Osidai, Oronkai, and Ntui (Saruni with Lemek pride) came in hot and chased Jicho away. Thank God he got away.  Amazing as these 2 coalitions sired by Ololparpit and Olbarnoti are in close proximity. Both are killers and don't play games. It might be inevitable they face off, who knows?

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 09-26-2023

Iseketa males? This'd be at least their 4th name to the coalition - i think they're still should stay Mara North Males or ex-Offbeat Males (as they are still in Mara North mostly). But indeed interesting times ahead, as they're covered by bigger coalitions. They've to count not just with the 5 Enkoyonai Boys, but on their other side the 3 remaining Sankai Boys (Lemurt, Kini and Seenka) also could fight back anytime if the 4 males don't pay enough attention, because they have become a very powerful coalition too

By the way, interesting things also have happened around OMC during this time. Back to August, one of the two Sankai pride males had had a fight with the Sala's males and he was badly injured especially on his stomach and spinal likely. Since then he has disappeared (probably succumbed to his injuries) so his brother was left alone. During this time, the 2 Fig Tree Boys Nyekundo&Osupaat intruding their/Sankai Pride's territory and started to get interaction with some of the females so they're in the process of a take over or they already have taken over Sankai. 
While the remaining Sankai male left the pride and went to the Reserve alone where he's still spending his time recently. In lion's world, things can happen very quickly even between duo coalitions with roughly equal strengths - one of them fell due to rivalry with the neighboring territories, while another duo (Fig Tree Boys) can benefits from it and turns the match in their favor - so they're already dominates over two remarkable prides in the Mara, Enkoyonai (and Enkoyonai Breakaway) and Sankai Pride now.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 09-27-2023

Yeah they're originally called, and still referred to, as Isaketa Boys as thats their natal pride. They were also referred to as Ex-Offbeat males for a long time before they became Mara North Males. I like to use their natal pride name because they haven't been Offbeat Pride males in forever plus they really don't have any effect in Mara North as they've basically abandoned all prides there for Lemek Pride and Olchorro prides. They must have felt the presence of the 5 Offbeat Males with the Hippo kill on the fringes to come backt o MNC only to find Jicho.

3 Dikdik boys aka Sankai pride males down to 1 now unfortunately unless his brother makes a miraculous showing which I doubt. He probably didn't make it after that beating from Salas Boys. He did put up a big fight tho as both Osapuk and Olepelos had injuries after. They have somewhat like 8 or so offspring which have to be about 2-3 years old so I hope they make it. The 3 boys took Hammerkop/Sankai from Blackie2/Lipstick2 in 2020 so they should be ready to survive it they have to.

Back when Enkoyunai Boys/Offbeat Males invaded Serian Pride territory. 

Enkong'u (correct spelling) on the right, Jicho on the left.

Jicho chasing 

Jicho is absolutely always in the mix when trouble is there, every time! Enkong'u, IMHO, with a slightly darker mane, a spitting image of young Ololparpit!  He and Saruni (1/4 Isaketa Boy) both the most similar to him.

Marsh pride update.....

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 09-27-2023

(09-27-2023, 12:06 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Yeah they're originally called, and still referred to, as Isaketa Boys as thats their natal pride.
Yeah, so this was their original name. Ok, then this could be their permanent name with consent.

(09-27-2023, 12:06 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: 3 Dikdik boys aka Sankai pride males down to 1 now unfortunately
What happened to the 3rd brother exactly? I know from years ago he just disappeared without any trace when they were still young and started to take over Sankai Pride and he didn't make it most likely. But it's all to me.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 09-29-2023

(09-27-2023, 04:18 PM)Lipstick2 Wrote: What happened to the 3rd brother exactly? I know from years ago he just disappeared without any trace when they were still young and started to take over Sankai Pride and he didn't make it most likely. But it's all to me

Yes thats exactly what happened, he just disappeared. Good chance it was HWC, but could have been anything like hunting accident, other males. This was right at the BS lock down crap so who knows. They didn't get much coverage throughout their reign probably because they are not the most impressive males even tho they came from either 2 of the most impressive duos.

Not sure if i mentioned it but just like Saruni, his brother Ntui was in a bad way the past few months. Supposedly injured badly. I asked around and "Lucy Johnson", who posted the info on Ntui said nobody knew how he got injured or beat up. Either way all 4 are back and in great shape again.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 09-29-2023

Acatia Boy Olomonayk is alive and well!!!! Great news!

Credits to Lucy Johnson...

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Brahim - 09-30-2023

Great capture of the Sankai males Seenka, Kini & Lemurt.

Enonkishu Conservancy, Masai Mara
- Photographer Credit -
leuan Rose

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 10-02-2023

Trouble found Halftail in the North. He was chased by two of the Enkoyonai males, not sure if he got away without injuries or worse.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 10-02-2023

(09-30-2023, 03:36 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: Great capture of the Sankai males Seenka, Kini & Lemurt.

Enonkishu Conservancy, Masai Mara
- Photographer Credit -
leuan Rose

Far the most impressive males currently in the Mara (and even throughout wild living lions imho/very likely).

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 10-02-2023

(09-29-2023, 01:24 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: They didn't get much coverage throughout their reign probably because they are not the most impressive males even tho they came from either 2 of the most impressive duos.
Yeah, these Ordikdik/Sankai pride males aren't/weren't so impressive, maybe i'll risk that they were one of the poorest and most under-maned coalition. In fact, i'd like to say straight that Olbarnoti's descendants (with most of the Bilashakas and Iseketa males) are not my favourites. He was a very successful pride male along with L., but he has so many short-maned sons all around the Mara and they're not the prettiest.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 10-02-2023

(10-02-2023, 05:38 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Trouble found Halftail in the North. He was chased by two of the Enkoyonai males, not sure if he got away without injuries or worse.

Oh man, this is terrible, they were gaining on him quickly.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 10-02-2023

Halftail was not caught and is fine. He was seen after. He got very lucky. Saningo and Enkong'u are big, bulky killers and he got away with his life! Halftail needs to vacate and find another pride.