WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Horizon - 09-03-2023

masaimarabigcats

22h
Unfortunately it seems a day many of us have been dreading but known was inevitable is nearing…. this is Olobor chasing rongai boy Olonkera yesterday. This doesn’t mean Olonkera is kicked out but this is likely the start of it, he is two years old now. I will say there was a zebra kill involved so that may have heightened things. Nice to see one of the lionesses run in presumably to his aid. Seems Olonkera’s time is finally here…
" target="_blank" class="post_link">

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 09-04-2023

(09-03-2023, 05:54 PM)Horizon Wrote: Unfortunately it seems a day many of us have been dreading but known was inevitable is nearing…. this is Olobor chasing rongai boy Olonkera yesterday. This doesn’t mean Olonkera is kicked out but this is likely the start of it, he is two years old now. I will say there was a zebra kill involved so that may have heightened things. Nice to see one of the lionesses run in presumably to his aid. Seems Olonkera’s time is finally here…

Ah, Olobor is just letting Olonkera know hes still in charge. Olobor was not committed to kicking him out.... yet. Hopefully it doesn't happen for a while.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 09-04-2023

If Olonkera is smart even after he’s kicked out he’ll stay around the edge of their territory, there’s a few young males in the Rongai Pride and I believe there’s a male of similar age in the MFY Pride who’s also a lone male, remember Sekoti in Botswana doing something similar and now he’s in a coalition of 4 with his younger brothers.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 09-07-2023

When it comes to male lions interacting with their offspring, Lorkulup has to be one of the most easiest going males around. I honestly can't recall ever seeing him being aggressive towards any of them.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 04:29 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: When it comes to male lions interacting with their offspring, Lorkulup has to be one of the most easiest going males around. I honestly can't recall ever seeing him being aggressive towards any of them.

100%. Hes a great Dad with Oloimina close behind!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Cath2020 - 09-10-2023

Interesting turn of events!  Apparently, Dada of the Marsh Pride, has been hiding 2 little cubs away.  They look about a month old?  Such an uncertain future for the fatherless cubs.  I am only guardedly optimistic as she has had a bad track record of raising cubs as none of the ones she's had before survived.  She's already a mature lioness, being 11 years old.

She must have conceived not long after losing her previous litter of 3 early March.  They were photographed at only days old!  I guess she lost them later that very month, and then went into heat again sometime in April.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 09-11-2023

(09-10-2023, 06:13 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Interesting turn of events!  Apparently, Dada of the Marsh Pride, has been hiding 2 little cubs away.  They look about a month old?  Such an uncertain future for the fatherless cubs.  I am only guardedly optimistic as she has had a bad track record of raising cubs as none of the ones she's had before survived.  She's already a mature lioness, being 11 years old.

She must have conceived not long after losing her previous litter of 3 early March.  They were photographed at only days old!  I guess she lost them later that very month, and then went into heat again sometime in April.

Great news! There's debate on whose cubs but Half Tail was actually documented in March time frame mating with Dada so if 6 Pack Boys accept them and raise them these should be Half Tails last Marsh offspring. Curious what the sex are?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 09-11-2023

More good news if true, waiting for 100% confirmation on id of male young adult. If ID confirms then he is 1 of Blackie2/Lipstick2 offspring from Hammerkop! Long lost sub adults! 3 Dikdik boys invaded Hammerkop in 2020, displaced Blacie2,  then Lipstick2 never to be seen again. Blackie2 has been nomad since but this past year or so been seen with some Kissinger Pride lionesses (maybe breakaway). Think he has cubs now too with them? 

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Horizon - 09-11-2023

wildfreelions

The Bila Shaka male lion “ KOSHOKE “ ?

It may have a small mane, but it is considered one of the largest lions in size! It is extremely massive lion, and you can see that in this recently video while patrolling its territory with one of its brothers.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwarcaar - 09-12-2023

Impressive male, huge and stocky, he looks even stockier than earless

Marsh Boy, Orkirikoi, son of 6 Pack Males, Maasai Mara lions

Video description :

today, the Marsh Boy at Survey (formerly posted as Mkoras) mating, this one called Orkirikoi, a son of the 6 Pack Males, and now getting some mane back. His partner, the Kichwa boy was nearby, MPCP calls Dirisha male, aka named Oloborani. This boy Orkirikoi looks like Kibogoyo to me, face and body! They seem to have taken this Survey Hill area now, with 3-4 females and apparently small cubs. 
video from Sep2023

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Horizon - 09-13-2023

masaimarabigcats

18h
Brothers Olobor and Lorkulup patrolling together yesterday. A bit of a treat to see these two together, out of the four brothers this pair are seen together the least often. It’s important for the coalition’s sake that all the brothers maintain these strong bonds, glad to see that remains true for these boys.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 09-14-2023

3/5 Enkoyunai Boys; Enkong'u, Jicho, and Lenkoe moved in on Acatia Pride. Halftail got away, lionesses tried to fight but were unable to defend a couple of cubs in a bush, I think 2 cubs. They were killed. Nobody knows where the injured Acatia Boy is and if he is ok after the incident with Halftail. So now, Encoyunai Boys are following in the footsteps of their Half brothers; The 4 Isaketa Boys aka Mara North Males and as of now control almost all of MNC. These boys are on a road to have a huge impact in the Mara if they play their cards correctly. Amazing legacy from Ololparpit and Olbarnoti. I hope Halftail is able to find someone to partner with.

Info and pic credits to:

Pics .......

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Horizon - 09-15-2023

A funny video of the Black Rock male lion “ Olobor “ while he marking his territory but ending up marking his brother “ Oloshipa “ face ?.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwarcaar - 09-15-2023

At 8min 5s: 

Masai mara northen serengeti lion size compared to vehicle and peple inside. I didn't imagine them as big and this one is still only a sub-adult, I would say 3 years 3 and a half years old

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 09-16-2023

Salas boy, Orkitok's limp seems pretty bad in the morning.