WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Horizon - 08-23-2023

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 08-24-2023

TBT 2009: Old pic of late famous male lion who was known as 'Fang'. 
Do you remember to Notch's opponent from Disney's movie "African cats" in the original Rekero pride? As it was known, Notch chased him away then, along with his four sons around 2010. It is him before this and before he broke his tooth out

*This image is copyright of its original author

Credit to Federico Veronesi

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 06:57 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote: TBT 2009: Old pic of late famous male lion who was known as 'Fang'. 
Do you remember to Notch's opponent from Disney's movie "African cats" in the original Rekero pride? As it was known, Notch chased him away then, along with his four sons around 2010. It is him before this and before he broke his tooth out

There is a video of an interaction between Fang, Olalashe, and Kijana. Not sure if the same Fang, because this picture is from 2009, but the video I am mentioning is one of the most incredible videos showing a lion's ability of forethought, for him to intentionally endanger himself in order to get accepted, that I have ever seen.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 07:37 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 06:57 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote: TBT 2009: Old pic of late famous male lion who was known as 'Fang'. 

There is a video of an interaction between Fang, Olalashe, and Kijana. Not sure if the same Fang, because this picture is from 2009, but the video I am mentioning is one of the most incredible videos showing a lion's ability of forethought, for him to intentionally endanger himself in order to get accepted, that I have ever seen.

No, they were two completely different 'Fangs' and they weren't related...

The Fang that you're talking about was the 'Kichwa Fang' from the Kichwa Tembo coalition along with his brother/partner the infamous 'Kichwa Short-tail'. They were born likely in the Moniko pride around 2010 and their fathers could be the two Old Moniko Males Mzee&Lolalai (before Lolparpit and Olbarnoti took over the pride). Here is a great photo of them: light maned Fang on the left and dark maned Short-tail right (Credit to Sonia Varma Shikotra)

That video was made in 2020 when he tried to join up with Olalashe and Kijana not long after he lost his brother Short-tail but he wasn't succeed in that. 

So, they were born when the original 'Fang' on the picture above is been already an old male lion around by 2010, so they couldn't even be the same male lion biologically... 

Most probably this original Fang who ruled the Rekero pride for years has died not much after he was ousted by the Notches or they've already killed him right at that time.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Horizon - 08-24-2023

masaimara_bigcats

9h
The three Salas boys Olepolos, Orkitok, and Osupak on patrol this morning. Not sure if it was before or after this was taken but they did have an encounter with the three Sankai/Moniko boys Lenchada, Lemoniko, and Kiliya. I don’t believe any big fight happened but the encounter ended with the Salas boys heading out of Rekero pride territory.

That’s not the only thing the Salas boys have to watch out for, the two Ordikdik boys (sankai pride males) were back in the main reserve today this time accompanied by their sankai pride. While they weren’t in Topi pride territory today we do know the males have headed that way in the past. So far we’ve seen them mate with Topi girl Jua, fight and get chased out by the Salas boys, and most recently one of the boys was chased away by Topi Mama Summer. Only time will tell if they try again… Salas boys have to watch their backs from all corners of their territory!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Horizon - 08-24-2023

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 08:07 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote:
(08-24-2023, 07:37 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

No, they were two completely different 'Fangs' and they weren't related...

The Fang that you're talking about was the 'Kichwa Fang' from the Kichwa Tembo coalition along with his brother/partner the infamous 'Kichwa Short-tail'. They were born likely in the Moniko pride around 2010 and their fathers could be the two Old Moniko Males Mzee&Lolalai (before Lolparpit and Olbarnoti took over the pride). Here is a great photo of them: light maned Fang on the left and dark maned Short-tail right (Credit to Sonia Varma Shikotra)

That video was made in 2020 when he tried to join up with Olalashe and Kijana not long after he lost his brother Short-tail but he wasn't succeed in that. 

So, they were born when the original 'Fang' on the picture above is been already an old male lion around by 2010, so they couldn't even be the same male lion biologically... 

Most probably this original Fang who ruled the Rekero pride for years has died not much after he was ousted by the Notches or they've already killed him at that time.

Yes, that is why I mentioned the photo you shared having been from 2009. Next to impossible for it to be the same Fang. I wish I knew what had happened to Olalashe, he was a gorgeous, massive male, in fact I think all three of those males disappeared not long after that video. It is a real shame that these things continue to happen in the Mara, it is like the Bermuda Triangle for lions down there.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 08-26-2023

(08-24-2023, 10:28 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Yes, that is why I mentioned the photo you shared having been from 2009. Next to impossible for it to be the same Fang. I wish I knew what had happened to Olalashe, he was a gorgeous, massive male, in fact I think all three of those males disappeared not long after that video. It is a real shame that these things continue to happen in the Mara, it is like the Bermuda Triangle for lions down there.

We all wish we knew what happened to Ololashe and all the lions that disappear. Most likely HWC. The Rangers/guides/lodges know more than they tell us as they are actively suppressing the HWC that happens. Mara Predetor Program releases in the reports the HWC events that happen thank God. 

Current Owino pride male partnered up with supposed Ololashe only son. They both control the Owino pride. Ololashe son on the right and impressive Owino Pride male on the left.

upload a photo

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 08-26-2023

Another cow. This was the 3rd cow Oloshipa killed. This is truly bad. So bad. It is so bad in the Mara it isn't even a joke. We follow these lions, they promote these lions then they do this and straight up disappear shortly after and were all left like WTF! The stupid Politicians, lodge owners  land owners all own huge amounts of cattle and thaylts why they never do anything positive about this. The Massai people would rather not have ant predetors around and even elephants and hippos/rhinos as they are a problem to their cattle. So F'd up. Only thing that's gonna change there is these predetors and "problem" animals will disappear of the face of the earth.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 09-01-2023

In response to Oloshipa with the cows, they were in the Maji ya fisi area so they can’t do anything to him. Also anyone know what age the Rongai youngster Olonkera is, heard he’s around 2 but he looks massive.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 09-02-2023

(09-01-2023, 06:14 AM)KM600 Wrote: In response to Oloshipa with the cows, they were in the Maji ya fisi area so they can’t do anything to him. Also anyone know what age the Rongai youngster Olonkera is, heard he’s around 2 but he looks massive.

Okonkera just turned 2 or is just about to turn 2. 

Dude do you know how many lions disappeared in MYF area? Both Floppy and Jagged Ear males gone. Playa males gone. MYF area is one of the worse HWC areas in the Mara. Lorkulop was speared in the Rongai - MYF area. Matter of fact there's is nowhere in Kenya that a lion will not be speared or poisoned for taking cattle from the Massai, same goes for the Serenghetti in Tanzania.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - KM600 - 09-02-2023

(09-02-2023, 10:58 AM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(09-01-2023, 06:14 AM)KM600 Wrote: In response to Oloshipa with the cows, they were in the Maji ya fisi area so they can’t do anything to him. Also anyone know what age the Rongai youngster Olonkera is, heard he’s around 2 but he looks massive.

Dude do you know how many lions disappeared in MYF area? Both Floppy and Jagged Ear males gone. Playa males gone. MYF area is one of the worse HWC areas in the Mara. Lorkulop was speared in the Rongai - MYF area. Matter of fact theirs is nowhere in Kenya that a lion will not be speared or poisoned for taking cattle from the Massai, same goes for the Serenghetti in Tanzania.
I’m not saying nothing will happen to him, ofcourse it’s possible, what I’m saying is legally they can’t do anything to him. Now if he had wondered into a farmers land or whatever, it would be a complete opposite story, reserves have been known to put down lions for escaping and killing cattle before.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 09-02-2023

(09-02-2023, 12:58 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 10:58 AM)BigLion39 Wrote:

Dude do you know how many lions disappeared in MYF area? Both Floppy and Jagged Ear males gone. Playa males gone. MYF area is one of the worse HWC areas in the Mara. Lorkulop was speared in the Rongai - MYF area. Matter of fact theirs is nowhere in Kenya that a lion will not be speared or poisoned for taking cattle from the Massai, same goes for the Serenghetti in Tanzania.
I’m not saying nothing will happen to him, ofcourse it’s possible, what I’m saying is legally they can’t do anything to him. Now if he had wondered into a farmers land or whatever, it would be a complete opposite story, reserves have been known to put down lions for escaping and killing cattle before.

At issue is that they aren't escaping the reserves, the cattle are being illegally brought into them by the herders, nothing is being done about it, and when the lions kill them, the herders kill the lions, by spear, poison, or snares.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 09-03-2023

Guys I'm not sure everybody realizes the situation over there. There are literally villiages INSIDE the Reserve. Marsh pride territory has a literal villiage inside. Talek is also a big villiage inside the Mara in between the Reserve and (i think) OMC.  Thats not all, there's many more. Not every Massai kill, poison the predetors but many will if they aren't compensated or their cattle Shepherds don't agree with conservation. 

Conservancies are slightly different than a Reserve as Safari companies, lodges, conservation companies get together and rent the property owners land (Massai people) for tourism, conservation. In turn they pay the land owners for this and also provide education and jobs to the Massai to help turn the thi king of predetors and elephants, Rhinos, etc.... as problem animals  to important animals among other things they do. On the other hand the biggest problem is big time politicians and decision makers own the biggest herds of cattle and therefore were up against a stone wall when trying to enforce killing and wrong doing. 

I was thinking the other day; I live in a huge cattle/beef farm land area. Hundreds, maybe thousands of cattle ranchers through the mountains and rolling pastures. The Massai can't argue that I, and some of us can't have an opinion as there are many predetors that threaten the cattle here like black bear, coyote, gray fox, etc....  Even white tail deer can damage thousands of dollars worth of plants, crops, trees, etc.... It is 100% illegal to just kill them out of season. The laws do get enforced if caught too. Farmers can get a liscence to protect their investment unlike Kenya. 

So instead of taking the cattle out ito the Reserve and Conservanies, unprotected from predetors, why cant the Massai farm hay then bale the hay up and take it back to an enclosed boma to feed the cattle instead of taking the cattle to graze? They can't tell me that wouldn't be a better way to live together with endangered animals and limit exposure to them. Why not from crops of corn and grain to help feed the cattle? 

All the billionaires who throw millions of dollars at things that make no sense and really help nothing but there own agendas they should help with this. Then the Massai Ranchers can buy tractors and equipment, fences to get started growing cattle feed and be self sufficient without intermixing with natural predetors.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 09-03-2023

(09-02-2023, 06:04 PM)BA0701 Wrote: the cattle are being illegally brought into them by the herders,

Unfortunately we think it is illegal, and to me it should be, but over there it is not illegal to do this. It is as stupid as it gets. Like I said in my last comment,  there are literally towns/villiages inside the actual Reserve, Conservancies even inside the damn Serenghetti National Park.