WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 07-05-2023

Salas males after a fight with other males. Don't know if all three Salas's were involved or just the two in the reel. Sankai/Moniko males are possibly the others involved.

Edit: It was the two Sankai Pride males that were involved not the Sankai/Moniko males. Apologies for the mix up.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-05-2023

Yeah no more info yet if the 1 is badly injured. Hope not. Both Dikdik boys ran back to OMC after so I assume the 1 put up a good fight i hope. Dikdik boys aka Sanakai Pride males.
All 3 Salas have injuries. The screenshot with 2 Salas is Olepelos and Orkitok and the other screenshot is Osapuk alone.

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-05-2023

(07-03-2023, 04:52 PM)Lipstick2 Wrote: Sadly i haven't found any more info on him/them yet. The only known fact is that he lived in the Mara Triangle probably with his brother or brothers in the 2000's. Around 2005 they sired the 4'km males - it is sure that he was Lipstick's father, but i still couldn't find any more...
Here are some more photos of him from this time also from Suzi Eszterhas:

Yeah my online lion buddy knows about him as I inquired abut him after I saw your post! Not much more than you posted is known unfortunately as before social media the info wasn't shared and they weren't followed so closely back then. But wow, what a specimen and Lipstick is almost his twin!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 07-05-2023

(07-05-2023, 11:51 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Yeah no more info yet if the 1 is badly injured. Hope not. Both Dikdik boys ran back to OMC after so I assume the 1 put up a good fight i hope. Dikdik boys aka Sanakai Pride males.
All 3 Salas have injuries. The screenshot with 2 Salas is Olepelos and Orkitok and the other screenshot is Osapuk alone.

Thanks for the additional information!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mapokser - 07-06-2023

@Lipstick2 beautiful mane from this male, these lions with fully-wrapped elbow tufts always look amazing.

Though I've to say many other wild lions actually have similar manes. Many males from Skybed line in the KNP have this mane style with fully-wrapped elbow tufts. In fact 1/12 Skybed male, son of the 3 Old Skybeds was a spitting image of a atlas lion, with mane covering his entire back.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-06-2023

(07-06-2023, 12:32 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Though I've to say many other wild lions actually have similar manes. Many males from Skybed line in the KNP have this mane style with fully-wrapped elbow tufts. In fact 1/12 Skybed male, son of the 3 Old Skybeds was a spitting image of a atlas lion, with mane covering his entire back.

Oh yeah I agree.... even Zig zag has gorgeous mane with big wrapped tufts. Also Tinyo had nice wraps.

So as expected another round of the Sanaki Boys vs Mara North Boys in Olchorro. Not sure what exactly happened but it was reported that the coalitions faced off again. All I heard was Saruni had minor injuries, scratches, etc.... He is 1 of Ololparpits most closely resembled sons. As far as the 3 remaining Sankai Boys I haven't heard anything since.

Pic of Saruni by Kathi Hammer.

I also read the 1 Dikdik boy who got caught by Salas Boys had pretty sever injuries... Also sons of Ololparpit/Olbarnoti or Olerai/Olekiti or Romeo2.

Finally Jesse is still alive and in great shape at 12 years old. He's been nomadic since 2107 when his brother Frank disappeared and he lost Offbeat Pride!!! Amazing! He is still robing and stealing food from prides to survive! What a special lion he is!

Edit.... just wanted to add/mention his back right hip/leg is slightly injured and loosing muscle mass. He has slight injury on his lower back right above his hip; maybe old from last year or might have been caught by other lions. So age is finally catching up to this "Superlion" ! How much longer can Jesse stay somewhat healthy and survive?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 07-06-2023

(07-06-2023, 03:36 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: I also read the 1 Dikdik boy who got caught by Salas Boys had pretty sever injuries... Also sons of Ololparpit/Olbarnoti or Olerai/Olekiti or Romeo2.

I saw a very short clip reportedly of him looking rather rough but he was walking. If it was indeed him, it didn't look like he had any mobility issues at the time so hopefully he'll be able to recover from the injuries.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-08-2023

(07-06-2023, 10:43 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: I saw a very short clip reportedly of him looking rather rough but he was walking. If it was indeed him, it didn't look like he had any mobility issues at the time so hopefully he'll be able to recover from the injuries.

Yeah I saw a short clip as well, no limping, full belly, but he had a huge swollen, something like a hematoma or a hernia on his right abdomen. It wasn't there before the altercation. Hope it isn't anything serious. I sent Sheldrick Veterinarians a message about it as well im sure others did too.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 07-18-2023

Halftail looking in great condition. Guess he's been hunting on his own or having great fortune scavenging since he's been away from the Marsh Pride and the meals they provide.

1/3 Rongai males. I've seen them before but don't know much about them at the moment.

1/3 Sankai males. Seen with a lioness, possibly from the Rekero Pride.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-19-2023

(07-18-2023, 10:26 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: 1/3 Sankai males. Seen with a lioness, possibly from the Rekero Pride.
 This is Lemoniko, 1/3 Moniko- Sanaki males, now I believe they have successfully took Rekero Pride from Salas Boys and were able to kick Kijana, Lekijana(rip), and Olchorre out. 

The 2 other brothers names are Kiliya and Lenchada.