WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 04-28-2023

(04-28-2023, 12:01 PM)Robot00 Wrote:
(04-28-2023, 11:03 AM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 11:00 AM)Robot00 Wrote: Where is kutiti's origin?

Kutiti was sired by legendary males Slitnose (Bob) and Ziggy Marley in Prunagat Pride. Bob and Ziggy Marley are sons of legendary Marsh males Romeo, Clawed, and Pavarotti.

Kutiti is half brothers to 4 Muguro Boys Mdogo, Osidai, Loki, and Haile; now 2 alive Mdogo and Osidai and are now Sopa Pride males.

Pics and info credit to: Matira Magazine
4 muguro boys names sound familiar. Are the 4 muguro boys were once called hammerkop boys? 

I remember something when spearboy tried to join the 4 hammerkop boys, they did not accept spearboy and gave him a beating.

Yes, correct. They are the former Hammerkop Males.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 04-29-2023

Kutiti was sired by legendary males Slitnose (Bob) and Ziggy Marley in Prunagat Pride. Bob and Ziggy Marley are sons of legendary Marsh males Romeo, Clawed, and Pavarotti.

Kutiti is half brothers to 4 Muguro Boys Mdogo, Osidai, Loki, and Haile; now 2 alive Mdogo and Osidai and are now Sopa Pride males.

4 muguro boys names sound familiar. Are the 4 muguro boys were once called hammerkop boys? 

I remember something when spearboy tried to join the 4 hammerkop boys, they did not accept spearboy and gave him a beating.

That beating is the one that caused the injury to his back leg, which he has carried ever since.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Robot00 - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 01:17 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

That beating is the one that caused the injury to his back leg, which he has carried ever since.
I dont think so. I thought spearboy's back leg injury is from being speared when he was a subadult. That little beating he got from the hammerkop did not cause that injury as he was already handicapped when he tried to join them.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - T_Ferguson - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 02:24 AM)Robot00 Wrote:
(04-29-2023, 01:17 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

I dont think so. I thought spearboy's back leg injury is from being speared when he was a subadult. That little beating he got from the hammerkop did not cause that injury as he was already handicapped when he tried to join them.

This is the way I know it too.  Though, I've seen where it's stated to be a combination.  The spear wound on the left hind leg is right at the knee.  I've always read that those tendons are severed as a result of that spear incident and not repairable.  I thought the beating he took resulted in hip wounds.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 04-29-2023

@Robot00 and @T_Ferguson, you may well be right, but in this video, from 2:30, it discusses the fight, and shows how that injured leg happened during that fight while trying to join their coalition. You can clearly see him limping badly in the immediate aftermath. I cannot say for sure if it was from the spearing incident, or from this fight, but the narrative in this video appears to lend credence to it having happened in that fight.

**EDIT**

After having re-watched the video, it seems we may both be right, the video appears to say that the initial problem resulted from the beating by those males, and was exacerbated by the spearing incident.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - T_Ferguson - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 06:34 AM)BA0701 Wrote: @Robot00 and @T_Ferguson, you may well be right, but in this video, from 2:30, it discusses the fight, and shows how that injured leg happened during that fight while trying to join their coalition. You can clearly see him limping badly in the immediate aftermath. I cannot say for sure if it was from the spearing incident, or from this fight, but the narrative in this video appears to lend credence to it having happened in that fight.

**EDIT**

After having re-watched the video, it seems we may both be right, the video appears to say that the initial problem resulted from the beating by those males, and was exacerbated by the spearing incident.

Exactly.  This is the video I watched that talked about it.  His limp is a combination situation.  The beating injured his hip, which I've always though was a healable wound.  The spear wound was definitely more permanent in my mind.  But again.. I think all of it is conjecture.  We are all likely partially right, and partially wrong.  Let's just enjoy that he's managed to live 10 years while being basically a scavenger.  The anti-lion if you will, while being just a beautiful boy!!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 05-02-2023

The 4 Isaketa Boys aka Mara North Males are on the heels of the 3/5 Sankai Boys. 

2nd and 3rd pic is Saruni, the one most resembles Ololparpit.

Credit to Daniel Lemurt 
2nd and 3rd credit to Daniel Ornasaani Sikona 

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Robot00 - 05-02-2023

Oh wow. How is it possible that only two male lions can raise/have so many successful male lion sons such as lolparpit and obarnoti? Are those two really special male lions? I want to know more about them and their origin.

I dont know exactly how many more sons they have except:
Six billa shakas
Six enkoyonais

Few others but ive forgotten the names. Anyone know of anymore of their male offsprings?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 05-03-2023

(05-02-2023, 02:11 PM)Robot00 Wrote: Few others but ive forgotten the names. Anyone know of anymore of their male offsprings?

Logol was their son and younger brother/cousin to the 4 Mara North Boys all born in Isaketa pride.

Then we also had the 3, now 2 alive Moniko- Sankai pride males aka Oldikdik Boys. These 3 boys were the culprits who dethroned Blackie2 and Lipstick2 in early 2020 and most likely killed Liostick2. Supposedly 2 of the 3 are L and O sons and 1 is Olerai and Olekiti. Some say Romeo2 sons but they resemble nothing to him to my eye. The 2 alive are spitting images of L and O. 

Many daughters in Porini, Dikdik, Ngoyunai, Moniko-Sanaki pride survive.

So obviously we also have 5/6 Ngoyunai boys.

4/6 6 Pack Warriors/Bila Shaka

4 Mara North males

Who knows how many other sons they have. Ololparpit was well known for patrolling alone on the fringes of his enemies territories and attracting lionesses and mating with them so who knows how many sons were raised by other males. His luck ran out in 2019 when both Osapuk and Orkitok aught him with a Rekero lioness, then later Kaka and Maradadi almost killed him.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Robot00 - 05-03-2023

That is quite a legacy they have left behind for just two male lions. I thought it would be tougher doing what they've done in the mara as opposed to KNP. They were either really lucky or really special raising so many sons to continue their thrones

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 01:13 PM)Robot00 Wrote: That is quite a legacy they have left behind for just two male lions. I thought it would be tougher doing what they've done in the mara as opposed to KNP. They were either really lucky or really special raising so many sons to continue their thrones

I believe "special" would accurately describe those two. Lions do not achieve their well earned reputations as true legends without such accomplishments and deeds. Theirs is a truly remarkable history, not only for all they achieved, but as you mentioned, where they achieved it. Recent troubling trends in the Mara may make it nearly impossible for others to equal their achievements anymore.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 05-04-2023

(05-02-2023, 02:11 PM)Robot00 Wrote: Oh wow. How is it possible that only two male lions can raise/have so many successful male lion sons such as lolparpit and obarnoti? Are those two really special male lions? I want to know more about them and their origin.

Yes, they were a very successful coalition. Even more successful than their great rivals of their age, the Notches and the 4'km males if we look at the number of their offsprings.

They are from the old Ridge Pride which was also famous from the 'Big Cat Diaries' documentary about Marsh Pride as their neighboring pride in the area. Don't forget that L&O are came and broke away from a 5 males coalition originally from that pride who were also known as Cheza, Sala (their older half-brothers from 2003 and 2004) and Junior (from 2005 along with Lolparpit and Olbarnoti). They were even a less successful trio than L&O's duo because all of them died quite soon, but they are the fathers of the 4 Musketeers, so they also raised up at least one very famous, legendary and successful coalition. 

Just think about it: these 5 males' fathers the Old Ridge Pride Males how many offsprings could have been around the Mara from their bloodline!?! Even from Cheza's trio and by the Musketeers, but much more from L&O! Their genes were spreaded very widely and effectively through the Mara via their sons! Such as from Notch and from the 4'km's father.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 05-04-2023

There also could have been another brother of Ololparpit in OMC back in the 2010's era. I don't remember the pride but this male was almost a twin of him. Someone shared a post of this male a few months ago on social media but i don't remember which page .  A lot of the info we have of Ololparpit and Olbarnoti came from Sarah Blackburn who started the Mara Predetor Project.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 05-04-2023

(05-04-2023, 11:27 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: There also could have been another brother of Ololparpit in OMC back in the 2010's era. I don't remember the pride but this male was almost a twin of him.
Really? Could you share a pic of him with us, pls?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 05-04-2023

(05-04-2023, 01:29 PM)Lipstick2 Wrote: Really? Could you share a pic of him with us, pls?

I will try and find it and if I can I will definitely post it here!