WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Robot00 - 03-09-2023

Nice map.

What about the young black rockers and their partner? Where are they on the map?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 03-09-2023

Here's the whole post from MPCP for the map to give some kind of context.

*This image is copyright of its original author

(03-09-2023, 12:14 AM)BA0701 Wrote: This is very helpful, thank you for sharing it. What region is Spearboy hanging out in?

Spearboy is usually around Kissinger area which is Mdogo/Osidai/Loki/Haile (Muguro Boys) old territory but he was last seen eating with the Serenghetti Kazkaz males close by Lookout territory which is on the border with Tanzania. The 3 Kazkaz males are thought to have killed Enkuroto, Spikeys partner.

(03-09-2023, 09:44 AM)Robot00 Wrote: What about the young black rockers and their partner? Where are they on the map?

They are with Rekero Pride which is in between the Triangle and Topi Plains (Salas male territory) but in the Reserve. So basically North- West of Topi Plains i believe.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - DARK MANE - 03-10-2023

Morani, 15 yrs old, seen with mating with river pride girls.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 03-10-2023

While his son was off mating old fella went and got himself a snack.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mapokser - 03-12-2023

I'm trying to learn more about the famous Notch Coalition and came across this:

Jonathan Kaelo, a safari and photography guide with over 10 years’ experience in the Maasai Mara and founder of Meikan Safaris, remembers the coalition’s rise and dominance.

“My guiding career began almost at the same time when Notch and his sons built one of the biggest and fiercest coalitions ever seen in the Mara. Notch was a brilliant and beautiful black-maned lion and it took guts and skill to build this complicated union with his sons. The six lions dominated the Mara, over 1,000 square kilometres, for years and sired dozens of cubs in almost all of the prides here.

https://theafricaninsider.com/the-legend-of-notch-king-of-the-maasai-mara/

Did they truly controlled such ridiculously big territory? If so I think it's probably by far the the largest territory a lion coalition has ever controlled that we are aware of.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 03-12-2023

Morani and his son along with the River Pride lionesses. They're enjoying two hippo kills in the second slide.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 06:27 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Did they truly controlled such ridiculously big territory? If so I think it's probably by far the the largest territory a lion coalition has ever controlled that we are aware of
Yes, its true, they controlled a HUGE territory. From the Olkiombo (Fig Tree) all the way to the Mara Triangle, and even spent time across the border into Serenghetti.  Theres a video on you tube where Grimmace, N2, Cesare, and Ron were patrolling in Serenghetti. Let's not forget how huge a territory their sons Rekero Boys controlled. All the way from the Reserve to Naboisho, to Ol Kinyei and all the way to Olarro South.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - T_Ferguson - 03-12-2023

(03-12-2023, 06:27 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm trying to learn more about the famous Notch Coalition and came across this:

Jonathan Kaelo, a safari and photography guide with over 10 years’ experience in the Maasai Mara and founder of Meikan Safaris, remembers the coalition’s rise and dominance.

“My guiding career began almost at the same time when Notch and his sons built one of the biggest and fiercest coalitions ever seen in the Mara. Notch was a brilliant and beautiful black-maned lion and it took guts and skill to build this complicated union with his sons. The six lions dominated the Mara, over 1,000 square kilometres, for years and sired dozens of cubs in almost all of the prides here.

https://theafricaninsider.com/the-legend-of-notch-king-of-the-maasai-mara/

Did they truly controlled such ridiculously big territory? If so I think it's probably by far the the largest territory a lion coalition has ever controlled that we are aware of.

The more I try to learn about them, the more it's impossible to say they aren't the greatest of modern times.  Not only did they hold that, but their offspring continued the dominance.  Spearboy is still limping around today (son of Notch II and about 10 years old), and I swear his families legacy is so powerful other lions just let him feed with them as a sign of respect to his once great family.  Morani is believed to be another son of the Notch's (now 14 or 15) that gets that same type of royal treatment in the Mara.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 03-13-2023

(03-12-2023, 06:15 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Morani is believed to be another son of the Notch's (now 14 or 15) that gets that same type of royal treatment in the Mara

No, Morani is NOT son of Notch Boys. No relation. The 4 Muskies are thought to be related to Ololparpit and Olbarnoti. The 4 Muskies were sired by their 3 brothers, Cheza,  Sala, and Junior in Olkiombo (Fig Tree) pride in 2008. There are pics of Sikio and Morani as young cubs with Ceza and Sala. 

There is slight chance that there was ID mix up and the 3 males might have been the 3 old Ronkai males. Also the area might have been the Ronkai and not Olkiombo. I have spoken directly with the woman who photographed Morani and Sikio as cubs with their father. She is not 100% sure it was Olkiombo.  So thats the story and the truth.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - T_Ferguson - 03-13-2023

(03-13-2023, 01:16 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 06:15 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Morani is believed to be another son of the Notch's (now 14 or 15) that gets that same type of royal treatment in the Mara

No, Morani is NOT son of Notch Boys. No relation. The 4 Muskies are thought to be related to Ololparpit and Olbarnoti. The 4 Muskies were sired by their 3 brothers, Cheza,  Sala, and Junior in Olkiombo (Fig Tree) pride in 2008. There are pics of Sikio and Morani as young cubs with Ceza and Sala. 

There is slight chance that there was ID mix up and the 3 males might have been the 3 old Ronkai males. Also the area might have been the Ronkai and not Olkiombo. I have spoken directly with the woman who photographed Morani and Sikio as cubs with their father. She is not 100% sure it was Olkiombo.  So thats the story and the truth.

Thank you.  Even without that bit, I still believe the Notches were the greatest male coalition of modern times.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 03-15-2023

Black Rocker Oloimina also has grown up since then...
He is still with the Rongai pride mostly, along with his currently seriously injured brother Lorkulup (by HWC..). Sometimes they meet with their other two brothers too (Oloshipa and Olobor) but not so often, because they spend most of their time with Maji Ya Fisi pride unless they aren't out on patrolling somewhere to make bold moves in the neighbouring territories.....
Credits to Matira Magazin and Lucy Johnson

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Spalea - 03-17-2023

Lemurt would be the biggest male lion of the Masai Mara. What a huge beast, powerfully built ! We just see it walking during this (too) short video...

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mapokser - 03-17-2023

Wdym by "would be"? Is he dead?