WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-16-2023

Clip showing the extent of Lorkulup's facial injury. Tried using imgur to upload it directly here but it didn't wanna work right with me, lol.

Credit: Masaimara_bigcats

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - GhostCatP-22 - 02-16-2023

(02-16-2023, 12:18 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Clip showing the extent of Lorkulup's facial injury. Tried using imgur to upload it directly here but it didn't wanna work right with me, lol.

Could the face wound be from a warthog? What else could do that?
I love watching Cubs play with tails…tails are for playing! That male is really tolerant.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 02-16-2023

(02-16-2023, 09:47 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 12:18 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Clip showing the extent of Lorkulup's facial injury. Tried using imgur to upload it directly here but it didn't wanna work right with me, lol.

Could the face wound be from a warthog? What else could do that?
I love watching Cubs play with tails…tails are for playing! That male is really tolerant.

Sadly, he was speared by humans.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mapokser - 02-17-2023

I also heard 2 of his females were speared too, and there was one other male I can't recall the name right now that was speared, plus Spearboy that Notch II son.

I don' t follow Masai Mara lions so closely but still heard of many of these instances so what's going on there? Humans and lions/other animals compete legally and they can injure the lions and that's it?

If so what a messed up situation, I've seen many people praising Mara for having vets treating the lions and I also support some intervention depending on the situation but man I'd much rather have no vets for natural wounds but a fenced territory like in the KNP, South Africa.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-17-2023

(02-17-2023, 05:40 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I also heard 2 of his females were speared too, and there was one other male I can't recall the name right now that was speared, plus Spearboy that Notch II son.

I don' t follow Masai Mara lions so closely but still heard of many of these instances so what's going on there? Humans and lions/other animals compete legally and they can injure the lions and that's it?

If so what a messed up situation, I've seen many people praising Mara for having vets treating the lions and I also support some intervention depending on the situation but man I'd much rather have no vets for natural wounds but a fenced territory like in the KNP, South Africa.

Herders illegally bringing their cattle into the Mara has been the main cause of the ongoing human wildlife conflict.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - DARK MANE - 02-17-2023

1/2 kijana boy was chased off by 2/3 Salas. I hope none of the lion on either side gets isolated and caught. Things can escalate badly

*This image is copyright of its original author

(02-17-2023, 07:08 AM)DARK MANE Wrote: 1/2 kijana boy was chased off by 2/3 Salas. I hope none of the lion on either side gets isolated and caught. Things can escalate badly

Three Salas males were seen with the Rekero Pride later in the day so they're all good. None have any fresh wounds so a fight seems unlikely to have happened.

Salas male with the limp is walking better than he has been.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 02-17-2023

(02-17-2023, 05:40 AM)Mapokser Wrote: If so what a messed up situation, I've seen many people praising Mara for having vets treating the lions and I also  some intervention depending on the situation but man I'd much rather have no vets for natural wounds but a fenced territory like in the KNP, South Africa

I agree, id much rather have natural, no vet intervening with no spearing. In the Mara they have vet treatment and the reason it ever started was because of the Massai people spearing the animals. They spear Cheetah, Lions, Leapords., etc... Now it has evolved the vets treat any injured animal. 

We can't even count how many lions have been speared to death. Haile from the 4 Muguro Boys, Mandevu (Topi Boy), Many, many, many of Rekero sons, possibly Green Eyes and Cesare2 and so many more.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-20-2023

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-20-2023

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - afortich - 02-20-2023

(02-20-2023, 12:54 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:

So glad to see this warrior, Spearboy, having breakfast.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-21-2023

Salas male that has been limping lately is steadily improving 

2/3 Salas males and cubs with a zebra kill 

Lorkulup's facial injury appears to be healing. Cut doesn't look to be as deep as it originally was.