WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 02-05-2023

(02-04-2023, 02:13 PM)Kibo81 Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 05:27 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 12:27 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 09:52 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Morani has been seen again and he's still with the Rekero boy.

How old is he exactly, 14,15?

I noticed that Mara lions usually have a bit longer lifespan then Kruger lion (ofc those who make it to old age ), is it purely because they treat them?

I also notice that there is way less sick lions then in Kruger, looks like disease's like TB and similar are not as common there.

14-15 was the general age I saw given to him throughout 2022. My knowledge of the older lions in the Maasai Mara isn't great so I don't wanna give an incorrect precise age on the old boy. I'll ask around and see if I can get a more definitive birth year for him.

He is 16, born January 2007.

*This image is copyright of its original author

No, they were born in the first half/early of 2008, so yes - as BigLion39 has said - he will be 15 recently.

I think, Mara lions also make it to such an old age rarely. But yes, there were some exceptions from the recent old absolutely successful coalitions like the Notches (Notch2), Musketeers (Morani here) and Lolparpit&Olbarnoti. If everything is correct, these specimens made it to their 15, but it isn't general in the Mara too, because most of them die before this. For example the 4'km males also were a very succesful colaition, but they lived "just" 13.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 02-05-2023

(02-04-2023, 12:27 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 09:52 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Morani has been seen again and he's still with the Rekero boy.

How old is he exactly, 14,15?

I noticed that Mara lions usually have a bit longer lifespan then Kruger lion (ofc those who make it to old age ), is it purely because they treat them?

I also notice that there is way less sick lions then in Kruger, looks like disease's like TB and similar are not as common there.

I think it's a multifactorial thing and I agree with BigLion39, but I'll go further than that. The prey-supply is highly better here than in the Kruger and so in the southern parts, because of great migration mainly. And this may also be the explanation for the successfull avoidance of TB- and other diseases too. In advance, Mara lions have to hunt just buffalos significantly less often/times than the Kruger lions as there are countless other animals too (zebras, wildebeest etc.) Furthermore, with their great migration, the possibily occuring sick individuals could fall away very soon, which would be cleaned up by the scavengers while lions can hunt for healthy individuals in the endless plains. So, it can be explained also by the richer food-supply and i think this is primarily why Serengeti (including Crater) and Masai Mara lion populations have simply larger and bulkier appearances than Kruger lions. These male lions also have longer and thicker manes (especially in the top of their heads) in general, but I don't think that they are highly bigger too than Southern males, just have a 'richer appearance'. However, the lionesses also could be look more bulkier but they can actually be qiute larger too - not just by eye - than Kruger females i think.

Even Kruger male lions can make to such an old age, although very rarely. For example, there are the 2 old Shishangaan males who also will be 15 this year if i'm correct. And - if we're speaking of infamous males - Makhulu also reached 15, while he had a very busy life in a sinister coalition in Central SS and not without dangers.

Anyway, very great to see Morani again and he is still in good shape for a roughly 15-year-old male lion in the wild!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 02-05-2023

(02-05-2023, 08:34 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote: No, they were born in the first half/early of 2008, so yes - as BigLion39 has said - he will be 15 recently.
Yeah I'm not sure why MPCP put that date on their site. As they are the best trusted place for info sometimes they get it wrong. There is debate on when they were born but most likely 2008. The most accepted fathers are Cheza, Sala, and Junior as their are pics of Sikio with (supposedly Cheza) and Morani, both as older cubs/young subs. But it is also coulcould be the 3 Older Ronkai Males mixed up with Cheza, Sala, and Junior. I talked with a woman who took the pictures of Siko and Morani with Cheza(supposed) and she is sure the area was either Olkiombo or Ronkai. If Olkiombo, Cheza, Junior, and Sala held their. If Ronkai then it was the Old Ronkai Males who fathered them. It is conflicting but people force to accept Cheza, Sala, Junior instead of Ronkai males as fathers.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-08-2023

Another case of a lion being speared by herders. Lorkulup is the lion this time, he's been treated by the vets for the wounds he sustained. Will update his condition as time goes on.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 02-09-2023

Lola and Kito, 2 Marsh girls were speared as well in the past few weeks. I gotta tell ya, its frigging infuriating whats going on. It really is. Sad to say I knew 1 of the BRB's would get speared eventually. Thier area The Ronkai all the way to Hammerkop Maji Ya Fisi are crawling with cattle and scumbag Herders. Makes you wonder about Oloisiado and Maridadi.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-11-2023

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - DARK MANE - 02-13-2023

Sala boys chasing the intruder, Acacia boy.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-13-2023

All four Black Rock Boys on a kill 

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-14-2023

Morani. He was seen with his son feeding on an eland they hunted down.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 02-14-2023

Lorkulup. Seen with the Rongai lionesses and cubs. Injury on his face is possibly from the spearing incident a few days ago.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - DARK MANE - 02-14-2023

All 3 rongai males patrolling together. Naboisho conservancy.

Younger brother / cousin of 4 black Rock males mating with a female.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 02-14-2023

The authorities NEVER announced the results of the autopsy for the spearing of Olbarikoi. I have seen other pics that were not shared. 100% no signs of other males killing him. Not 1 tooth/bite mark on his hind legs. Nothing, a perfectly fine, intact lion except for where they tried to cover up the spear. From what I've heard through the grape-vine they did NOT release the info because they did not want tourism affected. Such BS over there. Lions keep getting speared and killed. By Cottars lodge there have been 6 confirmed reports of dead lions, 2 confirmed spearings (not sure if they count Mandevu as 1 of the 2) in the past few months. Ridiculous. The Mara is going to be dead in the future because of this unfortunately.

Olobor, the hyena killer.

Dispersing offbeat young boys. Sons of olerai and oleketi.
Born in April 2020. They need to leave their natal place as rongai males are nearby.