WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 01-07-2023

Some screenshots of Offbeat males/Engoyunai Boys from some short videos my friend sent me on IG. 

Saningo is a big boy and he looks funny without a tail. Looks like Lenkoe with Offbeat Pride and some cubs. Couldn't id the rest of the boys tho

Credits to: Sopia_junior_wild

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - DARK MANE - 01-09-2023

Lolparpit and olbarnoti

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 04:08 AM)DARK MANE Wrote: Lolparpit and olbarnoti
Miss these 2 legends! I've been researching as of late their beginnings as I've come to find the story of both L and O being the next litter in the Ridge Pride after Big Cat Diary ended was a made up story with no pics to back it. Well if it's true nobody has any evidence to my knowledge and to anybody with and credibility knowledge. Also what is not 100% is if they are actually brothers to Cheza, Sala, and Junior. L and O might actually be related to 2 males that were photographed in OMC in 2010 of which I don't know the names. These 2 unknown males might have been fathers to Kitchwa Males Short Tail and Fang providing Lollai and Mzee not their fathers. To my eye Kitchwa boy Fang resembles Grimmace Notch but thats another story. Im going to dig deeper and teach myself how to read the common id patterns of whisker spots. I also want to get to the bottom of the 4 Musksies origins as that also has conflicting info.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Ngonya - 01-17-2023

Any updates on the Sala Boys?
Whats up with their altercation with the Black Rocks?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 12:23 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Any updates on the Sala Boys?

This, oddly enough, just came out about an hour ago. Not sure how recent, but they seem to be coming along ok. Nothing appears too seriously injured, though it does seem that Osapuk was very lucky to have not had his spine damaged severely. This video also says that this was not the first time that Olepolos had left his brothers during an attack. Perhaps he doesn't share as close of a bond with Osapuk and Orkitok?

(01-17-2023, 02:40 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

This, oddly enough, just came out about an hour ago. Not sure how recent, but they seem to be coming along ok. Nothing appears too seriously injured, though it does seem that Osapuk was very lucky to have not had his spine damaged severely. This video also says that this was not the first time that Olepolos had left his brothers during an attack. Perhaps he doesn't share as close of a bond with Osapuk and Orkitok?

Thank you for the update... Also thats really disappointing from Oleopoles, he's my favorite of the 3, I really didn't expect and didn't know about this side of him

(01-17-2023, 03:10 AM)Ngonya Wrote:

Thank you for the update... Also thats really disappointing from Oleopoles, he's my favorite of the 3, I really didn't expect and didn't know about this side of him

Happy to help, I was just thinking about the same exact thing yesterday, and this popped into my Youtube feed today. Hopefully someone who knows Mara lions a lot better than I, might have some insight on the Olepolos (or Olepoles, I am not sure which is correct). I had not heard of him leaving his brothers behind previously, and unfortunately the video doesn't elaborate on when the other time was. These boys have a reputation for being scrappy, so I'd imagine there must be some good reason for it, personally I don't believe it is due to a lack of confidence.

(01-17-2023, 03:45 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 03:10 AM)Ngonya Wrote:

Happy to help, I was just thinking about the same exact thing yesterday, and this popped into my Youtube feed today. Hopefully someone who knows Mara lions a lot better than I, might have some insight on the Olepolos (or Olepoles, I am not sure which is correct). I had not heard of him leaving his brothers behind previously, and unfortunately the video doesn't elaborate on when the other time was. These boys have a reputation for being scrappy, so I'd imagine there must be some good reason for it, personally I don't believe it is due to a lack of confidence.
I have no idea in which situation he left his brothers before this one. Olepolos is the correct way, I wrote it wrong previously!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Mwk85 - 01-17-2023

Sala males with the Topi Pride 

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 03:10 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Thank you for the update... Also thats really disappointing from Oleopoles, he's my favorite of the 3, I really didn't expect and didn't know about this side of him

Thats just a narrative that person thinks for some reason. That person is well versed in lion dynamics but he isn't always correct. You can watch the video by "Traveling Donkeys" of the situation he is describing but the only problem is Olepelos is not there with Orkitok and Osapuk on video so I'm not sure where the thoughts of Olepelos running from Olbarnoti came from. We clearly see Olbarnoti come and save Ololparpit and then he ends up chasing Osapuk out of the area while Orkitok stays with the lioness and Ololparpit limps following. 
Now this time with the Kijana coalition Olepelos was basically the most uninjured and most mobile Salas Boy. We can see Orkitok up front (with a slight limp from previous injury) and when they turned to head back Olepelos was able to run fastest, Orkitok got caught obviously because of his limp. If we remember Osapuk has a slight bum left back hip too so I would say thats also why he was back behind Olepelos.  So take that thinking with a grain of salt. Olepelos is also mostly the most dominant of the 3 but it is dynamic. We see in video him beating out Osapuk for mating rights and Orkitok not even trying him. Orkitok and Osapuk were usually always the 2 who would be together fighting other males too like we see with Ololparpit.

https://youtu.be/lpUPCQoGKM4

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - afortich - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 12:36 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 03:10 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Thank you for the update... Also thats really disappointing from Oleopoles, he's my favorite of the 3, I really didn't expect and didn't know about this side of him

Thats just a narrative that person thinks for some reason. That person is well versed in lion dynamics but he isn't always correct. You can watch the video by "Traveling Donkeys" of the situation he is describing but the only problem is Olepelos is not there with Orkitok and Osapuk on video so I'm not sure where the thoughts of Olepelos running from Olbarnoti came from. We clearly see Olbarnoti come and save Ololparpit and then he ends up chasing Osapuk out of the area while Orkitok stays with the lioness and Ololparpit limps following. 
Now this time with the Kijana coalition Olepelos was basically the most uninjured and most mobile Salas Boy. We can see Orkitok up front (with a slight limp from previous injury) and when they turned to head back Olepelos was able to run fastest, Orkitok got caught obviously because of his limp. If we remember Osapuk has a slight bum left back hip too so I would say thats also why he was back behind Olepelos.  So take that thinking with a grain of salt. Olepelos is also mostly the most dominant of the 3 but it is dynamic. We see in video him beating out Osapuk for mating rights and Orkitok not even trying him. Orkitok and Osapuk were usually always the 2 who would be together fighting other males too like we see with Ololparpit.

Good clarification. Thanks!

(01-17-2023, 12:36 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:

I figured there was something more to this story. From what I know of this coalition and their history, lacking in group loyalty, or confidence, does not come to mind.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 01-20-2023

An another beautiful role model of Masai Mara male lions - Mrefu 
He is the son of Splitnose aka Bob (and Ziggy) Marley, and grandson of former infamous Marsh Pride male Romeo (and Clawed) who were the pride males before the 4 Musketeers and after Notch (2007-2011).

Credits to Svpho Tography
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnhPtL5KwfK/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

In my opinion, he has the most beautiful mane currently in the Mara along with the Sankai boys, (Seenka, Kini and Lemurt, sons of Olerai) at least they are my personal living favourites, especially Mrefu and Seenka.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - DARK MANE - 01-21-2023

The only alive muskteer.
Morani.
Probably the oldest lion in Maasai mara.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 01-23-2023

Topi "Mega" Pride seen recently by Rob The Ranger. Those lionesses are absolutely huge!