WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 08-02-2022

(08-01-2022, 12:39 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: 1 other thing...  unfortunately Olerai and Olekiti have been missing. Olekiti was seen last around March 2022 and Olerai in end of May in OMC on a kill alone. Not good for the legendary duo.

Yes, I've heard that. There were speculations Olekiti was attacked by a rival coalition, but I didn't hear so much. Then Olerai was seen alone. I hope that at least this huge beautiful male will still be visible. Anyway, their star sacrificed most probably.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 08-02-2022

(08-01-2022, 08:20 PM)BA0701 Wrote: It is shocking just how many large coalitions there are in the Mara. You just don't see many single male dominated prides, you've got 4 males over here, 5 males over there

This is probably because in the last 1-1,5 decade there have been several legendary male coalitions that have ruled extremely successfully, dominated prides and were able to raise a lot of offsprings with great bloodlines. Just the good old well-known examples: the Notches, 4km's, Lolparpit and Olbarnoti, Old Sand River males, Romeo&Clawed, Bob&Ziggy Marley, the Musketeers, Old Black Rock Males, Olekiti&Olerai, etc.. Most of today's coalitions in the Masai Mara are the descendants of these males. I think, the top 3 most sussessful coalitions were the Notches, 4'km Blackie and Lipstick, and Lolparpit & Olbarnoti; these had/have the most descendants by far and they were probably among the most successful males with the strongest genes ever in all of Mara's history. These strong genes resulted in large coalitions. Indeed, not so many single or paired male lions have prides recently - among the prides that are more prominents, only the Fig Tree Boys and Halftail&Logol have been able to rule successfully in pairs so far and they were also able to take over without any fights (and I don't know about prides with single males now).

(08-01-2022, 08:20 PM)BA0701 Wrote: What ever happened to Kijana and Olalashe, didn't hear much after the Blondie incident. Was Kijana the same young male that was attacked when he tried to join a coalition?

I would also be interested in it. 
And also in Fang, so what happened to him finally? I'm afraid he's gone...They also were a great pair along with his half-brother - the impressive Short-Tail - known as ex-Kichwa males (sons of the old Moniko males Mzee&Lolalai presumably).

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 08-02-2022

(08-02-2022, 07:26 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 08:20 PM)BA0701 Wrote: It is shocking just how many large coalitions there are in the Mara. You just don't see many single male dominated prides, you've got 4 males over here, 5 males over there

This is probably because in the last 1-1,5 decade there have been several legendary male coalitions that have ruled extremely successfully, dominated prides and were able to raise a lot of offsprings with great bloodlines. Just the good old well-known examples: the Notches, 4km's, Lolparpit and Olbarnoti, Old Sand River males, Romeo&Clawed, Bob&Ziggy Marley, the Musketeers, Old Black Rock Males, Olekiti&Olerai, etc.. Most of today's coalitions in the Masai Mara are the descendants of these males. I think, the top 3 most sussessful coalitions were the Notches, 4'km Blackie and Lipstick, and Lolparpit & Olbarnoti; these had/have the most descendants by far and they were probably among the most successful males with the strongest genes ever in all of Mara's history. These strong genes resulted in large coalitions. Indeed, not so many single or paired male lions have prides recently - among the prides that are more prominents, only the Fig Tree Boys and Halftail&Logol have been able to rule successfully in pairs so far and they were also able to take over without any fights (and I don't know about prides with single males now).

(08-01-2022, 08:20 PM)BA0701 Wrote: What ever happened to Kijana and Olalashe, didn't hear much after the Blondie incident. Was Kijana the same young male that was attacked when he tried to join a coalition?

I would also be interested in it. 
And also in Fang, so what happened to him finally? I'm afraid he's gone...They also were a great pair along with his half-brother - the impressive Short-Tail - known as ex-Kichwa males (sons of the old Moniko males Mzee&Lolalai presumably).

The guide who filmed the interaction between Olalashe, Kijana, and Fang said in a video filmed not long after that one stated that he believed that they had permitted Fang to escape with the female he was with, which started the whole thing. He said both were missing, but that is the last I heard. That was such an incredible video, and one thing is certain, Olalashe was an enormous beast of a lion, for sure.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 08-02-2022

I also heard the same thing, Fang got a lioness and that was the last ever he was seen. Kijana soon disappeared. Ololashe was seen alone a few months later, his pic was posted on FB, without a pride and after that..... nothing. All 3 vanished. Who knows and it is such a shame. 
As for Olerai and his bro I'm actually talking to someone currently that hopefully has some info on what happened to them. All that is known to me is that the 4 Ex Offbeat boys moved away from the Acatia and their own River pride, and took over Lemek, mind you all had cubs,  Half Tail and Logol move into the vacancy left by them and the vacancy by Olerai and Olekiti (they also had cubs in Acatia Pride). Weird how Olerai and Olekiti never ventured back even with cubs while no males were there roaring or scent marking. Something happened over there. I believe I seen pics of both prides with cubs too, and healthy. I even saw pics with Ntui and Saruni with the River pride and cubs not too long before they moved into Lemek. Maybe Olekiti got killed by maybe 4 Ex Offbeat boys and Oelrai escaped? When Olerai was seen last, alone, end of May, he was on OMC, which is the next conservancy South(i believe) to Mara North where they had prides.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 08-02-2022

(08-02-2022, 11:52 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: I also heard the same thing, Fang got a lioness and that was the last ever he was seen. Kijana soon disappeared. Ololashe was seen alone a few months later, his pic was posted on FB, without a pride and after that..... nothing. All 3 vanished. Who knows and it is such a shame. 
As for Olerai and his bro I'm actually talking to someone currently that hopefully has some info on what happened to them. All that is known to me is that the 4 Ex Offbeat boys moved away from the Acatia and their own River pride, and took over Lemek, mind you all had cubs,  Half Tail and Logol move into the vacancy left by them and the vacancy by Olerai and Olekiti (they also had cubs in Acatia Pride). Weird how Olerai and Olekiti never ventured back even with cubs while no males were there roaring or scent marking.  Something happened over there. I believe I seen pics of both prides with cubs too, and healthy. I even saw pics with Ntui and Saruni with the River pride and cubs not too long before they moved into Lemek. Maybe Olekiti got killed by maybe 4 Ex Offbeat boys and Oelrai escaped? When Olerai was seen last,  alone, end of May, he was on OMC, which is the next conservancy South(i believe) to Mara North where they had prides.

It's like a Devil's Triangle for lions down there. A lot of lions disappearing with no information on what took place. , really odd. Does the Mara, or maybe certain parts of it, suffer from heavy poaching?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Tr1x24 - 08-02-2022

(08-02-2022, 08:01 PM)BA0701 Wrote: It's like a Devil's Triangle for lions down there. A lot of lions disappearing with no information on what took place. , really odd. Does the Mara, or maybe certain parts of it, suffer from heavy poaching?

I dont think its poaching, yet human - wildlife conflict's, a lot of lions get out, or some areas are not even fenced if im not wrong, and get killed by locals, thats the main problem in Mara/Serengeti for years.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - afortich - 08-02-2022

Here is a recently posted video of Fang but don't know if was filmed recently.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 08-03-2022

(08-02-2022, 08:01 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Does the Mara, or maybe certain parts of it, suffer from heavy poaching?

Like tr1x24 said its more likely HWC. There are actually villiages together, not in the reserve but over on the greater Mara area, in the Conservancies,  and the people kill the lions especially when they prey on cattle. Happens all the time unfortunately.  One of the most rescent, the Marsh Pride neighbors (who themselves were almost wiped out in 2015/16), the Oolololoo Pride were all killed, wiped out by humans . All the lionesses, I think, except for 1, all the Cubs (fathered by the 5 Bila Shakas). The Ranchers bring their cattle into the Mara Reserve to graze. It's a terrible problem.  Thats why we see the Bila Shaka venturing deeper into the Triangle, they lost their whole pride, the Ooloololo Pride, to humans. 
The  conservancies, they have same issue but also have poaching. OL Kinyei where the 3 Rekero Boys went. Ron2 was seen but not his 2 bros.
Now the 5 HUGE Sankai boys, Seenka, Lemurt, Kini, Merrinyo, and Lerai, who were pushed out by the 4 Mara North Boys, moved into Olchorro conservancy and Enonkishu conservancy. 2 small areas in the North. They border towns and villiages and is a hotbed for human wildlife conflict. In reality we probably won't see all 5 for much longer up there. Its really sad.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 08-03-2022

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 08-03-2022

(08-03-2022, 10:07 AM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(08-02-2022, 08:01 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Does the Mara, or maybe certain parts of it, suffer from heavy poaching?

Like tr1x24 said its more likely HWC. There are actually villiages together, not in the reserve but over on the greater Mara area, in the Conservancies,  and the people kill the lions especially when they prey on cattle. Happens all the time unfortunately.  One of the most rescent, the Marsh Pride neighbors (who themselves were almost wiped out in 2015/16), the Oolololoo Pride were all killed, wiped out by humans . All the lionesses, I think, except for 1, all the Cubs (fathered by the 5 Bila Shakas). The Ranchers bring their cattle into the Mara Reserve to graze. It's a terrible problem.  Thats why we see the Bila Shaka venturing deeper into the Triangle, they lost their whole pride, the Ooloololo Pride, to humans. 
 The  conservancies, they have same issue but also have poaching. OL Kinyei where the 3 Rekero Boys went. Ron2 was seen but not his 2 bros.
 Now the 5 HUGE Sankai boys, Seenka, Lemurt, Kini, Merrinyo, and Lerai, who were pushed out by the 4 Mara North Boys, moved into Olchorro conservancy and Enonkishu conservancy. 2 small areas in the North. They border towns and villiages and is a hotbed for human wildlife conflict. In reality we probably won't see all 5 for much longer up there. Its really sad.

Brother, as if the lives of these cats wasn't hard enough, we (humans) are never content until we've made them even more unbearable. That is heartbreaking to hear.

Very strange behavior, for sure. Two young males have two older males submitting to them. Video says younger males are 2 and 3, and older males are 8 and 9. Now, I will say if that youngest male is 2 years old, he may well be the most mature looking 2 year old I have ever seen. I don't know who these males are, but it certainly isn't something you see every day. The young males seem to act like they have no idea what to do (the likely don't), just like Kijana did with Fang, but at least in the Kijana instance he had Olalashe with him.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Tr1x24 - 08-03-2022

(08-03-2022, 07:59 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Very strange behavior, for sure. Two young males have two older males submitting to them. Video says younger males are 2 and 3, and older males are 8 and 9. Now, I will say if that youngest male is 2 years old, he may well be the most mature looking 2 year old I have ever seen. I don't know who these males are, but it certainly isn't something you see every day. The young males seem to act like they have no idea what to do (the likely don't), just like Kijana did with Fang, but at least in the Kijana instance he had Olalashe with him.

These young males are definetly older then that, prob atleast 4.

Not sure who they are, but they might already be territorial and they found 2 nomads in their territory, or both of these are nomads and they bump into each others, where younger males look more excited and curious, while older boys dont want to have business with them.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BorntobeWild - 08-03-2022

It has been so very sad to know what happened. I am wondering if a "reward" policy will work or not. When the village people see lions, instead of killing them, they can get a bounty if they report it.

(08-03-2022, 09:32 PM)东方琳琅STD Wrote:

It has been so very sad to know what happened. I am wondering if a "reward" policy will work or not. When the village people see lions, instead of killing them, they can get a bounty if they report it.

People such as the Mara tribes often do not value money like those in the modern world, they value goods and livestock. I agree with what you said, and in place of money, if it is not enough to motivate the people who live in these areas, perhaps provide them with goods of some sort. Anything so that they no longer see these lions as pests, or competition, but that the lions have real tangible value to these people. Anything that changes centuries of belief. It has been done in other places, so it is certainly possible. I am sure there are countless people who would donate to such a cause, but making it lucrative to all involved should certainly be the goal.

(08-02-2022, 10:49 PM)afortich Wrote: Here is a recently posted video of Fang but don't know if was filmed recently.

Great find! I hope it is recent, but to my old eyes it seems he appears younger here than in the Olalashe - Kijana interaction.