WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-27-2022

When Baba Yao was attacked by Salas Boys the Vets and Rangers weren't able to check up on him after the initial check up. Vets looked at him and decided he did not need attetion and would most likely recover. That was unfortunately during the rainy season and shortly after Baba retreated into an area around the Paradise Pride territory that wasn't accessible during the wet season. 

To my eye Slit Lip looks to be not in bad shape and hopefully be fine but who really knows.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 07-27-2022

(07-27-2022, 04:29 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: When Baba Yao was attacked by Salas Boys the Vets and Rangers weren't able to check up on him after the initial check up. Vets looked at him and decided he did not need attetion and would most likely recover. That was unfortunately during the rainy season and shortly after Baba retreated into an area around the Paradise Pride territory that wasn't accessible during the wet season. 

To my eye Slit Lip looks to be not in bad shape and hopefully be fine but who really knows.

So, they do practice intervention even in the case of male on male fights? That was what I was unsure of. Thank you for that my friend!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - afortich - 07-27-2022

(07-27-2022, 07:30 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-27-2022, 04:29 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: When Baba Yao was attacked by Salas Boys the Vets and Rangers weren't able to check up on him after the initial check up. Vets looked at him and decided he did not need attetion and would most likely recover. That was unfortunately during the rainy season and shortly after Baba retreated into an area around the Paradise Pride territory that wasn't accessible during the wet season. 

So, they do practice intervention even in the case of male on male fights? That was what I was unsure of. Thank you for that my friend!

Bro, now we have a concrete answer. 
So I guess is fair to say that they always intervene but if unable to cure/save the injured, it will be euthanized to stop suffering.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-28-2022

Unfortunately the legendary Slit Lip, 1/5 Egyptian Goose Pride males succumbed to his injuries and was found this morning dead . RIP my warrior. Nobody knows who were responsible. What is known is that the 6 Pack (aka Bila Shaka) males, the 6 young Sausage Tree Boys, and the 3 Paradise Boys were in somewhat close proximity to each other so it might possibly be any one of them, or another set of males that we haven't seen. Very sad but nature took its course and took this great male from this world! He did what he was supposed to and passed his genes into prides for the future! Hope his 4 brothers Olopolosie, Nusu, Ruka, and Manywelle can continue the legacy of the Inselberg Coalition!

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BorntobeWild - 07-28-2022

(07-28-2022, 02:06 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Unfortunately the legendary Slit Lip, 1/5 Egyptian Goose Pride males succumbed to his injuries and was found this morning dead . RIP my warrior. Nobody knows who were responsible. What is known is that the 6 Pack (aka Bila Shaka) males, the 6 young Sausage Tree Boys, and the 3 Paradise Boys were in somewhat close proximity to each other so it might possibly be any one of them, or another set of males that we haven't seen. Very sad but nature took its course and took this great male from this world! He did what he was supposed to and passed his genes into prides for the future! Hope his 4 brothers Olopolosie, Nusu, Ruka, and Manywelle can continue the legacy of the Inselberg Coalition!

So sad. He did not look that bad. He still could walk I thought he could make it.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 07-28-2022

(07-28-2022, 02:06 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Unfortunately the legendary Slit Lip, 1/5 Egyptian Goose Pride males succumbed to his injuries and was found this morning dead . RIP my warrior. Nobody knows who were responsible. What is known is that the 6 Pack (aka Bila Shaka) males, the 6 young Sausage Tree Boys, and the 3 Paradise Boys were in somewhat close proximity to each other so it might possibly be any one of them, or another set of males that we haven't seen. Very sad but nature took its course and took this great male from this world! He did what he was supposed to and passed his genes into prides for the future! Hope his 4 brothers Olopolosie, Nusu, Ruka, and Manywelle can continue the legacy of the Inselberg Coalition!

That sucks, I just started trying to learn more about him too. Hope his brothers can  maintain in his absence.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - afortich - 07-28-2022

So sad. How old was he??

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-28-2022

(07-28-2022, 03:13 AM)afortich Wrote: So sad. How old was he??

It is not known but looks to be maybe 9 or 10ish??

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 07-30-2022

(07-28-2022, 11:59 AM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(07-28-2022, 03:13 AM)afortich Wrote: So sad. How old was he??

It is not known but looks to be maybe 9 or 10ish??

Yes, many say he was around 10 years old. 
I am saddened by his death. It is presumed that, he was attacked by the 6 young Sausage-Tree Boys, but it's not confirmed. Especially since 3/5 Billashaka males were also sad to be nearby. (But I'm a bit confused about it; Bilashakas are ruling the northern parts of Mara Triangle - through the Paradise Pride mainly - while the Inselberg males are the Southern parts of it along with the borderline area of Serengeti. Either the Bilashakas came down south or did Slit-Lip go too far north? I heard that they try to establish their territory in the farther north of Triangle but how so far north...) Anyway, I hope his 4 remaining brothers can keep their territories safe. With the death of Slit-Lip, the most dominant male may be Manywele among them.

Fig Tree Boy Nyekundo with his cool hairstyle.

Credit: Abdullah Al-Zaidan
https://www.instagram.com/p/CgYYi7mKQgt/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Sankai Boys at Naretoi recently. It seems they have left Lemek Conservancy in search of other prides and females. Seenka, Lemurt, Kini and Lerai can be seen on these shots, but all 5 are said to be fine (along with Merrinyo).

Credits to Mattikoko Safari Camp
Videos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CghiJ6ILouH/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - afortich - 07-30-2022

Who did it?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 08-01-2022

(07-30-2022, 06:51 PM)Lipstick2 Wrote: It is presumed that, he was attacked by the 6 young Sausage-Tree Boys, but it's not confirmed.

Most believe it was the 4/5 Bila Shaka as they were actually filmed 500m away from where Slit Lip was found the day before. Chongo, Kiok, Koshoke, and Kibo were filmed around that area on several different occasions. Doa was with them but I only saw 1 video of Doa with some of his brothers.
1/6 Nyati boys was filmed mating with 1 Egyptian Goose Lioness but that was earlier and only the 1.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 08-01-2022

(07-30-2022, 08:20 PM)Lipstick2 Wrote: Sankai Boys at Naretoi recently. It seems they have left Lemek Conservancy in search of other prides and females. Seenka, Lemurt, Kini and Lerai can be seen on these shots, but all 5 are said to be fine (along with Merrinyo).

Yes its great to see them all again. I believe that's up in Enonkishu Conservancy? I believe they gave up on Lemek. 

That said I hope the 4 Ex Offbeat boys stick around a raise a generation of Cubs to adulthood this time. 

1 other thing...  unfortunately Olerai and Olekiti have been missing. Olekiti was seen last around March 2022 and Olerai in end of May in OMC on a kill alone. Not good for the legendary duo.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 08-01-2022

It is shocking just how many large coalitions there are in the Mara. You just don't see many single male dominated prides, you've got 4 males over here, 5 males over there.

What ever happened to Kijana and Olalashe, didn't hear much after the Blondie incident. Was Kijana the same young male that was attacked when he tried to join a coalition?