WildFact
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (/topic-other-male-lion-coalitions-from-masai-mara)

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 03:44 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Lolparpit and Olbarnotis son Jicho with his Cubs! He is turning out to be a great, young father! Offbeat Pride is going to be a huge pride in the coming years!!!

*This image is copyright of its original author

Son of legends, building his own legacy. 5 strong coalition, he should be able to maintain for awhile.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Lipstick2 - 07-08-2022

(07-07-2022, 02:15 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:

I've heard that those 4 ex-Offbeat pride males have broken into Lemek Conservancy again, and probably chased out the 5 huge young resident males (Olekiti's and Olerai's sons from the Sankai pride). They disappeared for a little time, but a few days ago 4 of them were seen again - Seenka, Lemurt, Kini and Lerai - so presumably Merrinyo wasn't seen with them, but i hope he is also ok. From the 4 ex-Offbeats point of view, I wouldn't be calm, because i would be afraid from these 5 huge males, if they return and fight back for their pride - although they are younger by at least 3 years so they have less experiences, but they are bigger than them, also outnumbered (4 vs 5) and by the time they'll probably become stronger as they step into their prime years while these 4 get older.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-08-2022

The 4 Ex- Offbeat boys have been with the Lemek girls for a few weeks now. Im not sure if Merrinyo has been seen yet, I hope so. He wasn't with his other 4 bros since they were chased out a few weeks ago by the 4 Ex- Offbeat boys. 
 As far as I know the 5 Sankai Boys have been with a pride in Enonkishu Conservancy.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - Leo Aslan - 07-12-2022

The Notches were special and unusual lions, they set the scale very high. The Notch era is considered the most legendary ever. 

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - afortich - 07-12-2022

(07-12-2022, 06:31 PM)Leo Aslan Wrote: The Notches were special and unusual lions, they set the scale very high. The Notch era is considered the most legendary ever. 

Notch is one smartest lions in record. Impressive lion!!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - lionuk - 07-18-2022

Three Rongai males. Dominant coalition at Naboisho Conservancy and they look great.
Credit: Burgesser

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-20-2022

1/2 Enkoyonai Pride Males aka Fig Tree(Olkiombo) Boys, Osupaat; the all impressive! Pic credits to Matt Caldwell....

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-22-2022

Some more pics of Mrefu aka Doa Doa Nose, 1/2 Eland Plains males! He has been seen with 1 lioness from Rekero Pride mating. I believe Salas Boys have abandoned Rekero and stay mostly with the Topi girls and Cubs! 

Here he is, very grumpy, about to charge the vehicle! His father  SlitNose Bob Marley, was said to do the same! There is some disagreement tho as he was supposedly born down south in Nasipa Pride, which Notch boys held territory here and in Serenghetti.  Bob and Ziggy, from what I've read, never were down this far so who knows.

Credit for these 3 pics to Moses Crucialman Gilisho... 

Such a beautiful boy. IMHO, here in these 3 pics you can see the resemblance to Notch2, Grimmace, and also Bob Marley aka Slit Nose!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-25-2022

1/3 Sals Boys having a dip in the pool!!!! Hahaaa! Osapuk, meaning "Boss" needed to cool off!

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-25-2022

Just wanted to share these screenshots I took of my Google search of the Massai Mara and the Conservancies that surround the reserve. This gives a nice bearing on how it situated. 

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BigLion39 - 07-26-2022

1/5 Impressive Inselberg Males, Nusu. They traverse from Tanzania through Kenya controlling a few prides along the border! 

1 of Nusu's Brothers,  the famous and impressive Slit Lip, was found by Ranger Jackson Looseyia with injuries. Looks like we're sustained by other males in a territory dispute. These 5 Inselberg males, especially Slit Lip, are often seen alone. So much territory to cover. This is what happens. There are so many young up and coming males in the Mara Triangle/Serenghetti area that is is dangerous for a lone male. Hopefully he'll be ok.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - lionuk - 07-26-2022

(07-26-2022, 01:03 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: 1/5 Impressive Inselberg Males, Nusu. They traverse from Tanzania through Kenya controlling a few prides along the border! 

1 of Nusu's Brothers,  the famous and impressive Slit Lip, was found by Ranger Jackson Looseyia with injuries. Looks like we're sustained by other males in a territory dispute. These 5 Inselberg males, especially Slit Lip, are often seen alone. So much territory to cover. This is what happens. There are so many young up and coming males in the Mara Triangle/Serenghetti area that is is dangerous for a lone male. Hopefully he'll be ok.

Possibly it was Bilashaka males. The Bilashakas injured Logol in the past.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 07-26-2022

(07-26-2022, 01:03 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: 1/5 Impressive Inselberg Males, Nusu. They traverse from Tanzania through Kenya controlling a few prides along the border! 

Hope he makes it. Sucks being a member of such a large coalition, but then take control of such a vast area that you are always apart. I know they practice veterinary intervention in the Mara, but do they intervene when the injuries are caused lion on lion?

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - afortich - 07-26-2022

(07-26-2022, 07:28 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Hope he makes it. Sucks being a member of such a large coalition, but then take control of such a vast area that you are always apart. I know they practice veterinary intervention in the Mara, but do they intervene when the injuries are caused lion on lion?

According to the video below in minute 7, 48 seconds, Rob the Ranger explains that vets were called to check the youngster that attacked by the adult male. 
However, let's wait for @BigLion39 expanding on whether they always intervene.

RE: Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara - BA0701 - 07-26-2022

(07-26-2022, 09:49 PM)afortich Wrote:
(07-26-2022, 07:28 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

According to the video below in minute 7, 48 seconds, Rob the Ranger explains that vets were called to check the youngster that attacked by the adult male. 
However, let's wait for @BigLion39 expand on whether they always intervene.

I believe they will intervene in cases like this one, to end suffering, especially when it involves a cub like this (hearts and minds). However, the male that attacked that cub was later killed in a brutal attack by another coalition, and there was no veterinary intervention in that case to my knowledge. So, as you mentioned, I am not sure when intervention is decided.