WildFact
Bigcats News - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Nature & Conservation (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-nature-conservation)
+--- Forum: News, Events & Updates (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-news-events-updates)
+--- Thread: Bigcats News (/topic-bigcats-news)

RE: Bigcats News - Sanju - 02-26-2019

Lion found dead in farmland in Junagadh district

Feb 25, A lion was found dead in a farmland in Junagadh district of Gujarat Monday, with initial observation indicating infighting as the cause, a forest department official said.

The carcass of the big cat, aged 4-5 years, was found in the agricultural land of a farmer, Kalu Rathod, said Chief Conservator of Forests, Wildlife Circle, Junagadh, D T Vasavada. The farmland is located under Jasadhar range of Gir East division of forest in Junagadh district, he said.

*This image is copyright of its original author

The farm owner informed the forest department after which officials rushed to the spot, Vasavada said.
    "As per primary observation by staff, the reason of death seems to be infighting (looks like a lioness and it is dead coz of infighting, LOL, it would be wise if they said a male or cubs died due to infighting)," he said.

Over 200 lions have died in the Gir forest region in Gujarat in the last two years, the Gujarat government told the legislative assembly Friday last week. To a query by Congress MLA Bhagabhai Barad, Forest Minister Ganpat Vasava, in a written reply, said 110 lions and 94 cubs had died in 2017 and 2018. The government said only 27 deaths were reported to be due to unnatural causes. As per the 2015 census, there were 523 lions in and around the Gir sanctuary, the last abode of Asiatic lions.
@Lycaon

RE: Bigcats News - Lycaon - 02-26-2019

@Sanju 

It seems as if everyday a asiatic lion dies... .
This plus the retaliatory fire in bandipur is slowly painting a grim picture for india's wildlife.

RE: Bigcats News - Lycaon - 02-26-2019

From lion recovery fund

The West African lion is listed as being ‘Critically Endangered’. The vast 3,513 square mile Niokolo-Koba National Park, an area 10 times larger than that of New York City, holds the last remaining population of lions in Senegal. Lions are of great importance to Senegal because they are on the official national symbol, and even the national football team is called the ‘Lions’. However, there are fewer than 50 lions remaining in Niokolo-Koba and as a result the species is at dire risk of going extinct in the country. With adequate protection, however, the park could hold a population of hundreds of lions. As such, Niokolo-Koba is one of the sites with the greatest potential for contributing to the recovery and conservation of the West African lion. The park also contains the most westerly population of wild dogs and provides a rare example of coexistence between lions and chimpanzees. There is a need for elevated management and law enforcement presence in Niokolo-Koba, as current budgets are very low and there are limited “boots on the ground”. 
Panthera is establishing a financial and technical support project for Niokolo-Koba, with partial co-funding from a mining company in the area. Panthera aims to start by establishing a 656 square mile secure zone in the park, covering about 19% of park, in an area that receives inadequate management presence at the moment, and then gradually expand out. This Lion Recovery Fund grant will help Panthera establish infrastructure (a radio network and ranger bases), to pay for bonuses for rangers, to cover equipment and operational costs, and for law enforcement monitoring. 

https://www.lionrecoveryfund.org/project/saving-senegals-last-lions/

RE: Bigcats News - Rishi - 02-26-2019

(02-26-2019, 12:32 PM)Sanju Wrote: "As per primary observation by staff, the reason of death seems to be infighting (looks like a lioness and it is dead coz infighting, LOL, it would be wise if they said a male or cubs died due to infighting)," he said.

You LOL too much. Kanha lost 2 tigresses recently to male tigers. Who knows how many such more cases go unreported all over India's forests. 
Under congested conditions, lions may very well be just as aggressive to unknown females other prides or territories (in case of asiatic)... or it could have been other females. (@Rage2277 @Roflcopters @Pckts i forgot who killed Rajbehera? Any of you remember?)

Although the lioness in above article is not the one that died. I reverse-searched & found it in articles from last year, but on higher quality photos wounds are evident! That one too may have died on another incident like this.

@Rishi

I too saw the wounds (they are visible in this pics too), and obviously infight causes wounds, not necessarily deaths every time. we can't decide ourselves without internal post mortem reports by seeing pictures and wounds.

It can also be due to infection or other visceral organ failures. I know that Gir is overcrowded and infighting is the most common thing to happen but not all infights should end up as "dead". Instead of Giving examples from Tigers, can you give examples from other lion populations in Africa?

If you even consider, Tiger for example, most of the Tiger reserves are over populated too and still there are only some rare incidents of Tigresses dying or eaten due to infight, leave tigresses the same goes for males dying due to infight is rare as most of the time they get expelled if lose the fight or escape from their  territory if its stronger adversary but death is not on gir lion scale.

Did you see the same death rate of each tiger per day due to "infighting" like in Gir? Infighting happens b/w every bigcat species but not on this scale and this death rate, even they though too are saturated and crowded. 

Gir is special? absolutely not!

Every time, a lion dead, infighting. Case closed, no further analysis and autopsy reports. The same might have happened in CDV case too but due to pressure on them, they are forced to do tests which revealed the truths they tried to hide.

Like you said, "who knows how many cases go unreported by titling Infighting".

RE: Bigcats News - Rage2277 - 02-26-2019

(02-26-2019, 03:01 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 12:32 PM)Sanju Wrote: "As per primary observation by staff, the reason of death seems to be infighting (looks like a lioness and it is dead coz infighting, LOL, it would be wise if they said a male or cubs died due to infighting)," he said.

You LOL too much. Kanha lost 2 tigresses recently to male tigers. Who knows how many go unreported over India. 
Under congested conditions, lions may very well be just as aggressive to unknown females other prides or territories (in case of asiatic)... or it could have been other females. (@Rage2277 @Roflcopters @Pckts i forgot who killed Rajbehera? Any of you remember?)

Although the lioness in above article is not the intended that died. I reverse-searched & found it in articles from last year, but on higher quality photos wounds are evident! That one too may have died on another incident like this.

killed jaya/rajabehera female was killed by spotty

Thanks @Rage2277

(02-26-2019, 03:49 PM)Sanju Wrote: Instead of Giving examples from Tigers, can you give examples from other lion populations in Africa?

Gir is special? absolutely not!

I don't know of any lion or tiger population as concentrated as Gir region.

Also, the deaths take place all over Greater Gir landscape of atleast 25 km². So, compare to net fatalities of India's top 20 largest tiger reserves. We have max 5-7 that have (tiger) densities close to theirs, but no more.

Quote:Every time, a lion dead, infighting. Case closed, no further analysis and autopsy reports. The same might have happened in CDV case too but due to pressure on them, they are forced to do tests which revealed the truths they tried to hide. 

That's just downright incriminating (no really... they can drag you to court for defamation). There's autopsy in every case. One may try to twist wordings of the report under pressure, but skipping protocol isn't that easy.

They often make prior statements to reporters but mention the words "preliminary acessment" or " initial observation indicating..."
It was since in this case too.

Quote:Like you said, "who knows how many cases go unreported by titling Infighting".

That's absolutely not what i said. If you don't read properly what people are saying, then you'll misunderstand.

(02-26-2019, 04:56 PM)Rishi Wrote:
Quote:Like you said, "who knows how many cases go unreported by titling Infighting".
That's absolutely not what i said. If you don't read properly what people are saying, then you'll misunderstand.

No, I didn't said you stated that and neither misunderstood anything. I know that you are talking about tigress mortality due to infighting which go unreported. I related your statement to gir lions and made mine in the same way like what you said to tigers. Don't get what I'm saying wrong.

And who knows really what is going, some people say there are no lions in Gir NP but in human villages. Some say there are lions in Gir forest NP and sanctuary.

Can you give info about Lion density or concentration in GPA per sq.km as you are saying that lion density is more overcrowded than in tiger reserves? Like a map like this or data?

(02-26-2019, 05:17 PM)Sanju Wrote: And who knows really what is going, some people say there are no lions in Gir NP but in human villages. Some say there are lions in Gir forest NP and sanctuary.

Can you give info about Lion density or concentration in GPA per sq.km as you are saying that lion density is more overcrowded than in tiger reserves? Like a map like this?

The last actual study was done in 2015 & any credible data is from back then. 
Offical sources stated Gir & Girnar's total lion numbers at 300+change. From the map of last census, i'll guess 100-150 animals inhabit(ed) the Type-A villages & others spread over the rest of their range.

I understand that a group is hellbent on propagating the agenda that lions are abandoning Gir en masse, but "abandoning" is different from "leaving".

My understanding is that the lion ID process is pretty rigorous. #799
Not was any such claims made by researchers like Stotra Chakraborti presently working at Gir. Just by unqualified people, many with vested interest.

On the contrary IMO increase in extention of their range this time, may not be very substantial. They haven't reached Velvadhar yet, not has there been much new sighting reports from interiors of Rajkot (north)  Porbandar (west) districts.  
I do indeed expect lion numbers to rise in Type B & C category villages, bolstering the populations there.

The easiest (& only) option is to just wait another year for the new census. My predictions very often turn out accurate!  Cool

@Rishi I know that map. I'm asking the density or concentration like dots on the map inside PA to give an idea overall.

If such a map existed in the internet, i'm sure you'd have it before me...

I just did some math based on it & known info.
If i remember correctly; Type A village means something like "High density lion presence" & Type B village means "Permanent lion presence".
Quote:

On the contrary IMO increase in extention of their range this time, may not be very substantial. They haven't reached Velvadhar yet, not has there been much new sighting reports from interiors of Rajkot (north)  Porbandar (west) districts.  
I do indeed expect lion numbers to rise in Type B & C category villages, bolstering the populations there.

RE: Bigcats News - Sanju - 02-27-2019

#1,606  Post

Quote:"Sorry, it died today...

Let us see what reason they assign as cause of death... For lions deaths they conveniently go for "infighting", "snake-bite"....

Regarding Asiatic Lion deaths, every third death is due to "infighting"..... Rate of lion deaths due to infighting here in a State is higher than whole continent of Africa... But strange enough, there is not a single electronic or photographic record of lion infighting...

Let us see, what cause of death for this poor tiger crops out...
"
                                                                                                                                  ----- Jaidev Dhadhal

Three gir lions dead so far this month @Lycaon 

With the reported discovery of a lion carcass in Una on Monday, the number of deaths of the big cat has reached three this month.

Sources said that the carcass was found near Saiyad village of Una late on Monday night. It was sent for post mortem early next morning by the forest department.

On February 15, a lion, aged between five and nine years, was found dead in Visavadar of Gir West.

It had no visible signs of injury, but its claws were missing. Following investigation, the forest department officials said they suspected that some scavenger may have attacked the carcass. Deputy Conservator of Forest (DCF), Dhari said P Purushothama said, “We investigated, and the body was in bad condition. There are possibilities some other animal may have eaten the claws (wtf!? leaving flesh which animal eats claws (human poachers?) @Lycaon).”

Another lion carcass was found late on Sunday evening. The lion, about 4 years old, is suspected to have died in infighting.

Over 200 lions have died in the Gir forest region in Gujarat in the last two years, the Gujarat government told the legislative assembly Friday last week. Over 38 lions have died since September 2018, several killed by Canine Distemper Virus. 34 lions were rescued from Dalkhaniya range of Gir east and treated over six months.
Quote:We have found decayed body of the animal and will adhere to protocol. The claws are intact, so no poaching efforts are suspected as of now
Rajiv Gupta, ACS (Forests)
Quote:My sorrow far surpasses the joy I felt when it the tiger was first sighted in Gujarat. It is shameful that we could not conserve it
Vicky Chauhan, photographer
Quote:It was expected that either the tiger would go back or be killed by locals. People here are not as connected to the tiger as they are to lion
Anish Andheriya, carnivore biologist

Leopard attacks sleeping toddler

A leopard attacked a 2-year-old boy around 11 pm on Monday in Sarasiya range of Gir forest near Ambardi and mauled him to death. The boy was sleeping in his home adjoining their farm in Gopal(g)am village. After entering the house, the leopard caught hold of the sleeping boy and started running towards the forest area.

While the incident took place, the grandfather was out irrigating the farm. He saw the leopard picking the boy and running into another farm, shouted for help and gave chase. Hearing their screams, the leopard left the boy and escaped. However, the toddler was dead by then. CCF (Junagadh) D T Vasavda confi rmed the incident. DCF Gir East P Purushothama said, “We have placed cages at several locations to capture the leopard.”

A similar incident was reported from Gujarat's Chhota Udaipur district in July of last year when a fully-grown leopard attacked a couple and their child near Raipur village in Pavi Jetpur tehsil. The victims were reportedly travelling on a motorcycle at the time of the attack. It was only after bystanders raised an alarm that the big cat fled the spot.

RE: Bigcats News - Sanju - 02-27-2019

cannibal tiger kills and eats two more tigers in kanha national park. (i'm on my phone, will provide the link tomorrow) @Rage2277 @Rishi

RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 02-28-2019

(02-27-2019, 09:54 PM)Sanju Wrote: cannibal tiger kills and eats two more tigers in kanha national park. (i'm on my phone, will provide the link tomorrow) @Rage2277 @Rishi

They state it's the same tiger that ate a tigress this past January but I dont remember any mention of that recently, the last one I can remember was the Sangam Male eating the Budbudi female last year.

RE: Bigcats News - Rage2277 - 02-28-2019

(02-27-2019, 09:54 PM)Sanju Wrote: cannibal tiger kills and eats two more tigers in kanha national park. (i'm on my phone, will provide the link tomorrow) @Rage2277 @Rishi

sangam at it again i bet..