WildFact
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions (/topic-history-s-most-brutal-killers-the-majingilane-male-lions)

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - HouseOfLions - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 06:17 AM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 04:00 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: And what is there strength? Ganging up on their enemies because they know they are weak individually? Wow, such "strength" and "confidence".

Yes. This is exactly how lions are, successful ones at least.

(06-29-2017, 04:00 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: So it is fine for one user to call the manginjis the "best coalition in Africa" (freaking Africa) 

That I know no one is calling them that.

Quote:but it is not fine for me to this one lion a legend?

It isn't wrong per se, but it is inaccurate. 

(06-29-2017, 04:00 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: So as long as users here fall in YOUR line, their posts are fine but as soon as someone says ANYTHING bad about the manginjis, they become WRONG immediately?

Basically. It's my job here, after all, for every coalition, not just one.

And I never said they weren't successful in using their numbers. But they have been REALLY LUCKY that a large coalition, like themselves (5), the Mapogos (6) or the Matimbas (all 6 of them), haven't come into the sabi in recent years to challenge them since they took the west (except the BBoys of course). If it did, then we would have seen their metal!

And yes, numbers are important but individual strength is the most important. That is how lion coalitions, who are 2/3 strong can manage to stay in power for so long, even when they are outnumbered by their opponent. But true power is shown when the numbers are equal!

Dude, there is a user called T Rabbit who just called them that. I know they are a VERY successful lion coalition but the best in Africa - LOL.

And maybe you didn't understand what I meant my "legend". I meant it as a BRAVE and FEARLESS warrior and given his 2 major fights, both in which he was outnumbered, does point towards that. I am sorry if I meant it the wrong way, I will refrain from doing that.

And dude, I never humiliated any of the manginjis - I just called that other user on his false acclaim and typed what I have read/heard from other rangers and users. I know I could have used a better word than "legend" and I take full fault on that - sorry.

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - lioncrazy - 06-29-2017

@HouseOfLions I never said that dm reacting first mean he won I am merely stating that just because he has some superficial wounds don't  mean he lost you really can't say none of us can and to be honest your right on saying the first lion to attack don't always win we have seen in on film.for that matter in the fight between kinky and majis kinky tail was the aggressor and lost life it's just crazy to try and write the ending of this coaliton already we have to wait and see and as far as the healthy mapshpri being a legend its a Lil early for that talk if he makes it out of his current situation with a useless brother he as a long hard road in front of him

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - HouseOfLions - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 08:31 AM)lioncrazy Wrote: @HouseOfLions I never said that dm reacting first mean he won I am merely stating that just because he has some superficial wounds don't  mean he lost you really can't say none of us can and to be honest your right on saying the first lion to attack don't always win we have seen in on film.for that matter in the fight between kinky and majis kinky tail was the aggressor and lost life it's just crazy to try and write the ending of this coaliton already we have to wait and see and as far as the healthy mapshpri being a legend its a Lil early for that talk if he makes it out of his current situation with a useless brother he as a long hard road in front of him

I never said you did dude, I was just saying that attacking first doesn't always mean victory. And kinky's case is QUITE different that this case, kinky charged at and scared away 4 male lions, DM (only speculation) only charged 1.

And I agree with you, I am not yet writing these guys off. But like the Mapogos in their final year (2012), these guys are way past their prime and down to only 3. They don't have the strength anymore to defend against newer coalitions, who are younger and in their prime. That does not mean they can't surprise us but theoretically, they are in a MASSIVE pinch.

And yes, I am sorry for calling him a legend. I meant to say BRAVE and FEARLESS - that was a mistake on my part!

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - IñigoMontoya - 06-29-2017

The reign of a king ascends and descends like the sun. (Lion King)

All we must understand the half-life of lion is 12 years aprox in the wild and the Manjis prime time is finish (They have 12/13 if I am not in mistake). Like Mapogos they will be defeated sooner or later, and unfortunately I think It will been soon.

The question for me is:    They will been defeated and will die fighting like Mr T or KT  and they become in LEGENDS?.
                                         They will abandon theirs prides and territories when They are overcome and will become nomads lions?

In my personal opinion They are not LEGEND yet. They are great and very successful lions but no LEGENDS. (I dont want offend nobody, is my personal opinion).

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - Tshokwane - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 06:40 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: And yes, numbers are important but individual strength is the most important.

I disagree. A coalition of three smaller males, say the Tsalalas, can pick off a member of another bigger stronger one, and then after that tip the scale to their favour.
(06-29-2017, 06:40 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: But true power is shown when the numbers are equal!

But for them that matters only when it suits their needs. They don't do it like us.
(06-29-2017, 06:40 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: But they have been REALLY LUCKY that a large coalition, like themselves (5), the Mapogos (6) or the Matimbas (all 6 of them), haven't come into the sabi in recent years to challenge them since they took the west (except the BBoys of course). If it did, then we would have seen their metal!

But it did. At least 4 large coalitions were present in their time, and got to challenge them one way or the other.
1- Mapogos themselves(5)
2- Selatis(4)
3- Matimbas(6)
4- Birminghams(5).
That it didn't finish them off is much more than just luck.
(06-29-2017, 06:40 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: Dude, there is a user called T Rabbit who just called them that. I know they are a VERY successful lion coalition but the best in Africa - LOL.

And he's also new. So he has to learn first how we do things in the forum first before we can make him accountable for it, keep in mind that.

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - vinodkumarn - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 06:17 AM)Tshokwane Wrote: Yes. This is exactly how lions are, successful ones at least.
Exactly, you pick up fights which you are going to win.
You just wont pick up fight for bravery/pride..

(06-29-2017, 05:40 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 06:40 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: And yes, numbers are important but individual strength is the most important.

I disagree. A coalition of three smaller males, say the Tsalalas, can pick off a member of another bigger stronger one, and then after that tip the scale to their favour.
(06-29-2017, 06:40 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: But true power is shown when the numbers are equal!

But for them that matters only when it suits their needs. They don't do it like us.
(06-29-2017, 06:40 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: But they have been REALLY LUCKY that a large coalition, like themselves (5), the Mapogos (6) or the Matimbas (all 6 of them), haven't come into the sabi in recent years to challenge them since they took the west (except the BBoys of course). If it did, then we would have seen their metal!

But it did. At least 4 large coalitions were present in their time, and got to challenge them one way or the other.
1- Mapogos themselves(5)
2- Selatis(4)
3- Matimbas(6)
4- Birminghams(5).
That it didn't finish them off is much more than just luck.
(06-29-2017, 06:40 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: Dude, there is a user called T Rabbit who just called them that. I know they are a VERY successful lion coalition but the best in Africa - LOL.

And he's also new. So he has to learn first how we do things in the forum first before we can make him accountable for it, keep in mind that.

Sorry, but it didn't. They never fought the 5 Mapogos, or do you want me to start posting articles that prove so?

The only fought the selati after hank died and they were down to 3. And even then, they never fought them as a 3 vs 4, they fought then in a 1 vs 4.

And the matimbas? lol, if the matimbas had stayed together, the would have kicked out the manginjis a long time ago, again they got lucky!

And the Bboy. The Bboys haven't even challenged them dude!

And back to my main point, I said: " since they took the west". So yes, there hasn't been any large coalition in that time (to challenge them) since then, except the bboys. And which is exactly why I said that HAVE BEEN LUCKY.

And yes, I agree that 3 lions can tip the favor in their favor, but only if the bigger coalition is heavily separated. If they are all close to one another, they will immediately call to one another and absolutely destroy the competition. And if you look it at another way, if a newer coalition of say 6 males, comes to take over a area (like the Mapogos), there is LITERALLY NOTHING your 3 male lions can do to stop them - NOTHING.

And that is why I have been saying, if a newer coalition of say 4/5 came to challenge the manginjis, then we would have seen how "strong" they actually are - because beating 2 lions, while you are 4, is good but nothing impressive!

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - Tshokwane - 06-30-2017

Irrelevant. The coalitions were right there, that they didn't use their numbers isn't the lions fault, in either of the cases.

Don't expect lions to behave like humans.

Quote:And if you look it at another way, if a newer coalition of say 6 males, comes to take over a area (like the Mapogos), there is LITERALLY NOTHING your 3 male lions can do to stop them - NOTHING.

They aren't mine. They're just lions.

Quote:if a newer coalition of say 4/5 came to challenge the manginjis, then we would have seen how "strong" they actually are

No, they would be at a disadvantage, both numerical and of age, which is exactly the point for the attacking ones. It is what lions do in real life. 

Quote:because beating 2 lions, while you are 4, is good but nothing impressive!

It doesn't need to be impressive. It needs to be effective, which it was, and still is and will continue to be when they're no longer alive.

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - sik94 - 06-30-2017

If a newer coalition of 6 males arrives there is nothing three males can do, even if they are in their prime. The fact is the wild is not a pissing match, it's not a competition for how tough you are or how "brave" you are or how many 1 on 1 battles you have won. The Majingalanes pick their battles well, they retreat when necessary and attack when they have the upper hand, which is why they are so successful. There is a reason why the Selaties went after the three aging Mapogos instead of the 4 Majinglanes in their prime, there is a reason why the six Matimbas never went after the Majinglanes even when they outnumbered them, these are lions trying to survive and spread their genes, they don't care how "strong" or "brave" they are and they have nothing to prove.

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - Tshokwane - 06-30-2017

I think that for now we've talked about this in a good way, but maybe it's time to let it stay like this, so we don't bloat the thread with unnecessary chatter.

I'm sure that, eventually, a new ocassion will show up to laugh at them when they fall, for those that don't like them or to praise, in the small(and irrelevant for them) way that we can for those that love them for what they are.

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - HouseOfLions - 06-30-2017

(06-30-2017, 12:25 AM)sik94 Wrote: If a newer coalition of 6 males arrives there is nothing three males can do, even if they are in their prime. The fact is the wild is not a pissing match, it's not a competition for how tough you are or how "brave" you are or how many 1 on 1 battles you have won. The Majingalanes pick their battles well, they retreat when necessary and attack when they have the upper hand, which is why they are so successful. There is a reason why the Selaties went after the three aging Mapogos instead of the 4 Majinglanes in their prime, there is a reason why the six Matimbas never went after the Majinglanes even when they outnumbered them, these are lions trying to survive and spread their genes, they don't care how "strong" or "brave" they are and they have nothing to prove.

I have to agree with what you have said here. But I don't agree with is your matimba and manginjis theory! The matimbas didn't go after them because they were having internal problems and after the beating the 3 Mapogos put on them, they backed off for good. And when the split came, it was pretty much set that they couldn't touch the manginjis.

And beating your enemies is good and all but when you have enemies that you constantly outnumber 4 to 2, then yes, it is a given you will (most likely) always win. And as I have said before, they have been successful because there hasn't been a large enough coalition to challenge them. Picking their battle is very smart but you are forgetting the most important context, there hasn't been a battle for them that they don't outnumber their opponent.

Credits to Callum Gowar - Londolozi.

What would a Week in Pictures be without a brief update on the fascinating lion dynamics, which seem to have reached a climax lately. The Majingilane coalition pressed eastwards at the beginning of the week, spending a few days in the central and eastern parts of Londolozi, only to make somewhat of a hasty retreat after an altercation with either the Birmingham males, Matshipiri male(s), Avoca males or possibly even just during an intense scrap amongst the brothers at a kill. The movements of these males is also creating uncertainty and the unpredictable movement of the surrounding territorial prides who have been caught in the crossfire. The constant and unpredictable advancement and withdrawal from multiple coalitions is providing a captivating spectacle to witness firsthand.

The dark-maned Majingilane male lion seems to have been the most affected of the coalition in their recent altercation. Although he only sustained superficial facial lacerations, it is evidence of the arrival of challenging males to the core of the Sabi Sands

*This image is copyright of its original author

Exhaled breath is illuminated by the rising sun as the Manjigilane males retreat back to the western section of the Sabi Sands after their recent altercation.

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - leocrest - 07-01-2017

If the majis did take the healthy matshipiri male out completely, it should be considered easy work if they walk away with only superficial wounds. My interest is in why they decided to come east. Was it the roars from other coalitions? If so, what about those roars caused actions from the majis? Could they sense weakness?

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - sik94 - 07-02-2017

I don't want to try to get into a lions on how or what they think or why they do anything. I was making the point that lions are very opportunist creatures, a coalition of six will usually avoid confrontation with another big coalition because if not both coalitions will suffer unnecessary losses. Lions take the path of least resistance, even a big coalition like the 6 strong Matimbas would somewhat avoid a fight with another 4 or 5 strong coalition.

You point out that the Majingalanes have never been in a battle where they were out-numbered, well that's because the Majingalanes or any other coalition for that matter actively avoid and run from such fights. The Majingalanes are legends at playing the back and forth game with other males, that's their strength as a coalition. You are saying that the Majingalanes have been this successful because they were never challenged by a bigger coalition, I am saying that's irrelevant. Even if the Majingalanes were surrounded by 6 strong coalitions on all four sides, those coalitions still would avoid a confrontation because both coalitions would have nothing to gain from such a mega battle.

RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - Fredymrt - 07-03-2017

Photo credits: Wesley cragg
Singita June 2017

Dark mane

Claim what is yours, keep it close! June 19, 2017 

3-tooth

Fighting for dominance earns you scars, scars earn you respect June 21, 2017