WildFact
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions (/topic-history-s-most-brutal-killers-the-majingilane-male-lions)

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - LionKiss - 03-19-2016

(03-19-2016, 08:44 AM)Skybed Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 06:30 PM)LionKiss Wrote: after the fight about 3 weeks ago the Matimbas are back in Londolozi, possibly provoked the Majingilane again and after the yesterday's fight they are still in Londolozi by the river and as of some recent report both coalitions have some injuries,
this time there was a fight but the Matimbas did not run away possibly because it was a 2 vs 4 fight or if we assume that Hip Scar is not so well to fight it could have been a 2 vs 3 fight.

Point is that after the fight the Matimbas did not run away.

@Skybed the Matimbas gave up their territory to BBoys because they can't fight 2 vs 5, none will do unless your name is Kinky Tail or MrT.
The Majingilane always fight outnumbered opponents this is true and very smart strategy.
Numbers of course count in any case.

Courage is to fight against the odds, it is what Kinky Tail and MrT did. 

The Majingilane impress me to the fact that they are very careful, very methodical, they maintain their unity they know when to retreat, for example yesterday they had a fight with the Matimbas and then they were resting. The problem will be when the other coalition would like to fight more. This moment has not been seen yet.

@LionKiss

thks for the updates :) 

Based on this article http://blog.londolozi.com/2016/03/matimba-males-far-south/
the Matimbas seems to have return to Londolozi for some time already. It's really not up to us to speculate the events of the fight as even the rangers couldn't be certain. So let's just be patient and wait for the situation to unfold further.

The defination of courage is subjective. In your case, you define it as the willingness to fight against the odds and none other than Kinky Tail or Mr T will do that. To me that is a very one dimensional view. We should instead look at things in a bigger perspective or at least at a different angle. For example, when the Mapogos started their rampage and ran riot, many males knowing from their vocal exchange that six intruders are approaching, stood their ground even though they eventually fall. By your defination, it would be appropriate for me to classify these males in the same league as Kinky Tail or Mr T if not better, thus it's not just Kinky Tail or Mr T who is willing to put up a fight when heavily outnumbered. So again based on your standards, to say that the Matimbas can't fight 2 vs 5 would mean that they ain't courageous.

In my opinion, to bring down a Cape buffalo 3 times their size requires as much courage and so I would like think that all lions are courageous.

I often feel unjust for the Majingilanes because fighting outnumbered opponents doesn't make them less courageous besides in most cases it is not a matter of choice.

If some people would like to speculate, why not? Rangers are always very certain about their back yard and since Trophy Hunting is a legal activity such as gambling in some countries they have to make difficult choices.

Of course any male Lion who fights against the odds, who fights deliberately outnumbered is brave.

Even sub adults can kill a Cape buffalo, this is normal.

The Majingilane have never fought outnumbered, they are smart which is also positive.
I don't understand why people are so much interested to characterize some Lions as Brave. Is it the ultimate characteristic of a Lion? Probably yes.

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - LionKiss - 03-19-2016

This is a nice recent report about the Majingilane unfortunately you can't download or copy/past, so just enjoy

http://blog.morkelerasmus.com/2016/02/lion-man-love.html

it is amazing how sweet their facial expression is which shows their affection they feel for each other and how sad they become when they lose one, this is how these emotions develop in all lion coalitions.

but yet again, where is the forth, possibly Hip Scar, why he is not with his brothers?

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - Ngala - 03-19-2016

(03-19-2016, 06:42 AM)Majingilane Wrote:
Quote:Hip Scar and Scar Nose are in bad condition, probably they won't hold up the fight. 
What do you mean they are in bad condition? They're ok.
You are right, i misread some information. I'm sorry.

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - Tshokwane - 03-19-2016

Quote:Also @Majingilane I know fb is not a real good and half the time is bs and peoples opinions rather than fact but I read that on a safari live that hip scar is dead?!?! Now I don't belive it but just wondering if you have heard this or has anyone seen hip scar lately?
I agree with you. I use it a lot because of its usefulness in the reports about animals.

As for Hip Scar, some said he was dead in reaction of that pic of him sleeping, here the question was also asked.

I haven't seen more pics of him, but he must be either with the Othawa pride, or patroling on his own.

Quote:do you have the link to this report? thanks
It's one of the comments by that ranger below the blog the week in pictures.

Quote:n FB some people say one of the Matimba is dead, probably Ginger
I don't think so. The report by londolozi merely said he wasn't with his brother, nothing more.

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - Skybed - 03-20-2016

(03-19-2016, 06:42 AM)Majingilane Wrote:
Quote:Hip Scar and Scar Nose are in bad condition, probably they won't hold up the fight. 
What do you mean they are in bad condition? They're ok.

Here's a pic of Scar Nose after the fight. Credits to Alan Lipkin.
You can see he's in perfect condition.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Wow what an awesome pic of Scarnose. My favourite Majingilane! I always think he has got that badass look!

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - Tshokwane - 03-21-2016

Inyati Game Lodge:
Three of the majingilane male lions are back with us from the eastern section of the reserve where we believe they were involved in a battle with matimba males.
Golden Mane in the pic

Golden Mane and Dark Mane

Dark Mane

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - LionKiss - 03-22-2016

dark mane looks a little exhausted, Golden mane looks fine,
Where is Hip Scar?

they seem to have taken a different route back to Inyati from Londolozi, they went north and then west, why did they follow a different route this time? does it have to do with the Matimba males?
and

what is the outcome of the recent confrontation? It looks like the Matimba Males did not run away this time.

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - Tshokwane - 03-23-2016

Quote:Where is Hip Scar?
I'm not sure, but my guess is that he must be with the Othawa pride.

Quote:they seem to have taken a different route back to Inyati from Londolozi, they went north and then west, why did they follow a different route this time?
Not really, they were already in the northern parts of londolozi, so all they had to do is go a straight line.

Quote:does it have to do with the Matimba males?
No, I don't think it has to do with the Matimbas, mereley they went back to their territory.

Quote:and 
what is the outcome of the recent confrontation? It looks like the Matimba Males did not run away this time.
To my knowledge, the ones that retreated were the Matimba males, going to the south of londolozi, that's what the original report said. 

So, the outcome is a victory for the Majingilane but, as I've said before, I think it's just a matter of stating who's boss, drawing very clear the territorial boundaries, I don't think the Majingilane want to take londolozi back.

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - Tshokwane - 03-23-2016

Inyati Game Lodge:
Three male lions killed a young buffalo early this morning but their breakfast disturbed by a breeding herd of elephants who chased them completely off the carcass.
In the pic, Dark Mane and Golden Mane

A very nice video of the boys, that show the injuries sustained in the fight vs the Matimba males, and also the strong bond they have, grooming and licking each other. Credits to Khimbini Wildlife Videos
The Majingilane males have been in yet another fight with Matimba males. The videos and pictures were shot on the 22 march 2016 few days after the fight,it shows three of the four males nursing the wounds. Dark mane have few scratch marks, a deep wound on his lips and chin and is limping a little. Golden mane have wound on his flank and Scarnose have very little scratches on him.

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - Skybed - 03-23-2016

Hi guys, these are some of the information (in the comments section) provided by Rob the ranger and his view on the recent conflict between the two legendary coalitions. Based on his comments, hipscar is fine and he is with the Othawa pride. Looking forward for their reunion :)

http://youtu.be/aR5goNjvUyc

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - Pckts - 03-23-2016

Here's the comment section @Skybed is talking about

james rabbit2 days ago
rob, the majingis come back to the west? some lodge saw him or they are in central parts yet?

Rob The Ranger Wildlife Videos2 days ago
+james rabbit I think they are on Othawa property, last update was from Elephant Plains, 3 of them on piccanin Utah which is north east corner of Othawa, nothing since then so probably rejoined the Othawa pride and hip scar on Othawa property. Will be back in the west in the next 2-3 days is my guess. Despite the rumours they were never anywhere near Kruger or Nkorho lodge, Nkorho Rangers can traverse to Elephant Plains so that is where the confusion came from. Also it is said they lost the fight with the Matimba the other day yet they were the ones found relaxing in the area the fight took place for a whole day, if they had lost they would have run back west that morning...

Rob The Ranger Wildlife Videos2 days ago
+james rabbit I just found out at least two Majingilanes seen by inyati on drive just now

james rabbit2 days ago
+Rob The Ranger Wildlife Videos thanks a lot rob by the information. So hip scar is ok and the others too. Yes there is a lot of majingis haters spreading lies around here. 

Jake Evan1 day ago
Those pups are a bit too playful with their dads' genitalia.

snoxbox1 day ago
the babysitter is sure keeping a close eye on you..

Khimbini Wildlife Videos1 day ago (edited)
I have just left three Majingilane males near our eastern boundaries (Rain gauge/kala road) Only Dark mane have fresh battle wounds the other two looked fine and Hipscar isn't with them.

Rob The Ranger Wildlife Videos1 day ago
+Khimbini Wildlife Videos thanks Khim!

james rabbit1 day ago
and how about hip scar? some lodge or ranger saw him? is he with the othawas??

A side note: How cool would it be to get park rangers to post here!

How are the matimbas after the fight?

Thanks for the tip on that info Skybed and the post as well Pckts.

So, more or less, is what we've been discussing. Rob's opinion on the outcome of that fight is very clear and also his thoughts on where Hip Scar is, most likely with the Othawa pride.

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - lioncrazy - 03-24-2016

• Good to get some good info on hip scar glad he is with the ladies guess his brothers didn't want him to travel nice move by the boys

RE: History most brutal killer, the Majingilane Male Lions - lioncrazy - 03-25-2016

@majingilane I have been wanting to ask you I have seen in some close up of dark mane is he going blind in his right eye or is just the way his eye is any info on that?