WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - Rishi - 11-19-2018

(11-19-2018, 07:44 PM)GuateGojira Wrote: The wild boar is maybe one of the most dangerous prey for any predator, they are fairly large, tick skin, huge head with terrible tusks and a terrible atitude.

This is the size of the Indian/Nepalese wild boar:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Dr Seidensticker in formed that Nepalese tigers do hunted boars of up to 230 kg! But normally the boars from the Indian subcontinent are very small, like the average size portrayed in my comparative image.

Actually Indian boar size baits from East to West. The ones in the dry West are a bit "bony" & skinnier on average, whereas the ones in East & NE India are more, solid. (from Assam)

Also sexual dimorphism is very high. The males can have as much as hundred kilograms on the females. A 200kg one can get very big. And i mean big...

Boar friom Chitwan.

But the "most dangerous prey" for tigers is most definitely this beauty (& beast).

It's a rare image with her head in this position. But it'll help me describe what those horns, moving backwards away from their heads, can do.

Unlike cape-buffalo or gaur who tend to turn their heads sideways & use the horns in a sort of hooking movement to fling the victim, these animals bring their horns to the front by bending the neck & then turn their lowered heads in wide swings over a large arc.
And when that happens, you do not want to be in its way.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 11-19-2018

Wild Boar in Central India aren't massive by any means, they're a little larger than Warthogs but not by much, it's the really Big Boars that you see here and there that are impressive, you'll see them far off usually but when you see a big one, he's about the size of a Spotted Deer Stag at the shoulder but much more thick.

RE: Tiger Predation - GuateGojira - 11-20-2018

The observations of both of you are correct. In fact, the largest boars from my table came from Nepal and Cooch Behar, while those from central and southern India did not surpassed the 160 kg and that was an exceptional case.

Normally the boars in the Indian subcontinent predated by tigers average 38 kg but those in the Russian Far East average 125 kg (includes inmatures animals, and specimens from both sexes).

Now, regarding the size of the warthog, check this record:

RE: Tiger Predation - Rishi - 11-25-2018

Tigress chasing boar in Tadoba.

Young Telia girls with a big boar kill.
©Vinit Arora

Ranthambore. ©Unknown

RE: Tiger Predation - Suhail - 12-04-2018

Ranthambore  tigress killing sambar deer

RE: Tiger Predation - Sanju - 12-06-2018

Tiger Attacks Buffalo - Intense [HD].

That buffalo killed instantaneously within seconds and being guarded by Asiatic Buffalo herd. Similar to Africa, in which this situation exists between Lion and cape buffalo.

RE: Tiger Predation - Rishi - 12-06-2018

(12-06-2018, 05:45 PM)Sanju Wrote: Tiger Attacks Buffalo - Intense [HD].

That buffalo killed instantaneously within seconds and being guarded by Asiatic Buffalo herd. Similar to Africa, in which this situation exists between Lion and cape buffalo.

Not wild but feral buffalos from a semi-wild breed (about 80% sure) of Nilgiri region. Took place in Bandipur, the tiger is Rajah.

You'll find some more info regarding this in the discussion from post #54.

RE: Tiger Predation - Spalea - 12-06-2018

@Sanju :

About #1435: Agree with you, the situation could be the same with one lion in Africa... But I notice that, despite the buffalos number, the tiger killed one of them very quickly... Impressive !

RE: Tiger Predation - Sanju - 12-06-2018

@Rishi regarding #1436 post: oh so, it is bandipur. but those buffalo were feral? i mean how could government of karnataka leave hybrid or semi wild buffaloes in that forest like that as they were like 100% wild buffalo species? yes i observed why those buffaloes were small almost like tiger (though the tiger named raja was pretty big) and horns are thinner unlike wild water buffalo and another different aspect i saw that those are little bit backing down to attack directly and aggression unlike wild ones. though they were semi wild variety, showing even that much courage in predator interaction or confrontation especially with tiger like predator is great. where as i couldn't find exactly this kind of video with asiatic wild water buffalo. @Spalea regarding #1437 yes i think buffalo doesn't offer much resistance and aggression to hunt coz they were semi wild like rishi said and also they were small and the rajah is also a large tiger.

RE: Tiger Predation - Spalea - 12-07-2018

@Sanju :

About #1438: ok, if these buffalos were half domesticated, I understand why it could seem so easy for a big tiger to kill one of them...

I would compare with this video, with a male lion is alone against a buffalos herd, but here too the bovines aren't big. But they are 100% wild, I presume...

RE: Tiger Predation - Sanju - 12-07-2018

about #1439 post: wow i wonder why the cape buffaloes herd is too much panicked even when the lions ambush is failed and being spotted and another thing is which is unusual is buffalo herd doesn't formed a defense position and charged at the 'single' lion when their fellow buddy is struggling for life with a 'single' lion . well even those buffalo are not very big when compared with the typical lion which too an avg male, that 100% wild cape buffalo also similar in size with those semi wild buffalo, that buffalo kept on stampeding and didn't give up and gave a tough job.
In tiger attacking buffalo video. though the buffalo are semi wild, they were successful in defending their dead mate. that tiger secret in killing  quickly that similar sized buffalo like cape is, tiger looked big, used it's two paws and jaws for attacking on the skull and one peculiar character i noticed is that tiger shook the buffalo's head violently and cruelly which might gave broke the cervical vertebrae. and then after the buffalo fell down and dead. even interesting is while the tiger doing all these things, the rest of the herd kept on attacking and the tiger tackled them both simultaneously in killing one and defending itself against others. after killing the targeted ungulate, that tiger showed too much aggression even when massive angry bovines herd is charging at him and attacked them too for sometime and after that he retreated to come back and feast on the targeted specimen's carcass may be happened after video. it is my analysis based on observing the two videos comparatively, hence may be that particular tiger killed that efficiently within seconds unlike using neck bite like lion and also tiger looked very experienced and skillful.

P.S: these are all "in my opinion".

RE: Tiger Predation - Spalea - 12-07-2018

@Sanju :

About #1440: Yes I noticed the paradox. The semi wild Asian buffalos reacted against the tiger attack, not the African buffalos against the lion... This time ! Because there is no lack of examples showing the opposite reaction.

And yes, I see the tiger able to kill very quickly his prey whereas the lion took up all his time. Nevertheless I believe this lion experienced too. So, clearly this tiger uses a technique killing almost immediately his prey. Certainly, as you say, by shaking violently the buffalo's neck, breaking his cervical vertebras. Why doesn't the lion do that ? Perhaps because the semi wild Asian buffalos' neck isn't as muscular as the 100% wild African buffalos' neck and this by far. The Asian buffalos' necks, in the video you showed, are gaunt. A little bit the same as an European cow's one. By this way, it was very easy for the tiger, with his big paws, to kill one buffalo quickly, and, almost just after, a second victim could be killed too without the swift herd reaction.

The last thing I want is seem to be biased. But the difference between the two different buffalo species' neck is great. The lion couldn't do otherwise.

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 12-10-2018

tiger hunts jackal in Bandhavgarh

RE: Tiger Predation - Jimmy - 12-10-2018

a short clip of a tiger stalking a wild water buffalo and calf in Kaziranga, if this is a male tiger that cow water buffalo looks monstrous huge.

RE: Tiger Predation - epaiva - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 02:20 PM)Jimmy Wrote: a short clip of a tiger stalking a wild water buffalo and calf in Kaziranga, if this is a male tiger that cow water buffalo looks monstrous huge.

Mother Water Buffalo was ready waiting for him