WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - brotherbear - 10-16-2018

ADULT RHINO KILL BY TIGER

Tigers in Kaziranga often feed on rhino calves, but direct attacks on adult rhinos is not common. In this image, a male tiger killed an adult rhino that was foraging in a shallow water body by jumping on its back from the higher bank and by breaking its neck. It then intermittently fed on its very rare and huge kill. 

A rhino cow, but still an incredible kill. 

RE: Tiger Predation - Roflcopters - 10-16-2018

interesting dicussion, not as rare as it sounds. ofcourse not the norm but rhinos are certainly on the menu if a determined tiger really wants to go to that extreme level. KZT085 has been documented doing the same, Rhino killer from Dudhwa has killed close to five (documented proof by the field department) the actual number could be higher, it takes a very high skilled tiger to tackle down such a formidible prey. a task that may seem impossible to some. certainly not impossible when there has been 7 documented cases just in the last two years. tfs!

RE: Tiger Predation - brotherbear - 10-21-2018

(11-21-2017, 07:15 AM)paul cooper Wrote: Siberian Tigers killed 2 male boars from Valmik Thapar who also dismisses a myth:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Tiger: portrait of a predator page 128
(tell me if this is already here)

What myth are you referring to?

RE: Tiger Predation - paul cooper - 10-22-2018

It says right in the pic i posted.. that boar were always considered tough prey, etc.. for tigers.

RE: Tiger Predation - brotherbear - 10-22-2018

Paul says: It says right in the pic i posted.. that boar were always considered tough prey, etc.. for tigers. 

Yes, wild boar are dangerous prey for any predator. In Russia especially where a male wild boar might weigh 700+ pounds. 

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 10-25-2018

Krishna's Cubs making a Boar Kill

Mritunjay Tiwary
Two to tango!! Wild boars are a tough nut to crack ; they are feisty, combative and don't go down without a fight. Despite a concerted, joint attack these two#sub-adult #tiger #cubs took a good half an hour to bring down the #wildboar.
 — at Ranthambhore National Park.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 10-27-2018

Vinay Np
Moment Of Glory - T 19 Cubs Making Kill | RTR '18

---------------------------------------------------
A proud moment for the mother ...... 2 of her cubs made a successful kill of a wild pig, though they made it a little messy in the beginning they held on to their nerves and made this final move to choke the windpipe.

While their mother T19 (Krishna) was away trying to find food for her little souls. These little rascals aged around ~20 months now made this courageous act. It is quite a proud achievement for the cubs and an indication of a successful rearing ......they sure will make a feast when their mother returns. 

RE: Tiger Predation - Suhail - 11-04-2018

Indochinese tiger with water buffalo kill. Possibly from huai Kha kaeng wls.

source:

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 11-06-2018

Shiwani Athawale
Two Brothers - Tadoba Tiger Reserve

22nd October 2018

This incredible sighting at late evening left us spellbind. These Sub Adults from Tadoba (Cubs of tigress Choti Tara) were actually seen in action while on kill. These brothers still seem to be learing the process. The way they were chasing the little one, the way they took hold on him, the way they were still unsure about what needs to be done further....was something very unusual. 
The 45 mins show ended in blindfold as the tiny Sambar Deer Calf was still alive in those deadly jaws

RE: Tiger Predation - Scorpion - 11-07-2018

This account proves that even a tigress is a very formidable opponent for even a prime Bull gaur in a fight to the death:

Tigress and Bull gaur both die in the fight.

https://archive.org/stream/journalof373419341935bomb#page/950/mode/2up

RE: Tiger Predation - Scorpion - 11-09-2018

A large male Russian wild boar (In the background) that was killed by a male tiger. Pieces of boar skin that have been removed from the boar by the tiger, lie in the foreground:

http://sixote-alin.ru/books/ecolog/ch12_en.html

Game Animals of Malaya: (Bombay Natural History Society)

Tiger kills a big male wild boar in a fight: (Page 9)

"I was being poled up the river Muar, and just as we were rounding a bend we spied a big boar crossing a sand spit on his way to drink. My boatmen quickly allowed the boat to drift into a clump of tall rushes where we were fairly well concealed, and as I was putting my rifle together I saw the boar suddenly turn around and face the jungle, and in the next instant a tiger walked out."...

"It is difficult to describe what happened next - so quick were the movements on the part of both animals. They both charged and it looked as though they must meet with great force; but such speed was displayed in leaps and side steps that the result, in what seemed a second of time, was that they were facing one another again twenty feet apart, and the boar still with his back to the river."...

"The same movements were repeated three or four times but I think the tiger must have done damage each time as the boar appeared to be weakening. The end came when the boar made a rush. With one movement the tiger side stepped and leapt on its back and was dragged like this into the jungle, where shortly the dying gasps of the pig told me that all was over."..

http://www.rhinoresourcecenter.com/pdf_files/144/1440118532.pdf

Taxidermy of an Amur tiger attacking a huge Russian wild boar:

RE: Tiger Predation - Scorpion - 11-10-2018

Tigress teaches her cub how to kill an adult Gaur: (Amazing account)

http://svasararesorts.com/latest-at-svasara/blog/a-dream-come-true-morning/

"The moment we reached at Pandharpauni 1, we saw Maya and one of the cubs swimming in the water then suddenly Maya came out of the water as she saw a Gaur (Indian Bison) on the other side of the waterhole. She eye-locked the target and started walking towards the Gaur...what a moment as one could really see the change in her body language while preparing for the hunt!...

"She initially attacked from the back and tore the hamstring so that the Gaur could not move. Then she attacked on the Gaurs shoulder and neck, one could notice that she actually wanted to train her cub and hence, she did not kill the Gaur but instead allowed her cub to attack and hunt."...

After hamstringing and crippling the Gaur, Maya watches her cub get to work:

RE: Tiger Predation - Rage2277 - 11-16-2018

When a tiger hunts down the wild boar,
it's the most toughest creature to bring it down, it can take upto an hour or more for wildboar to finally give up.

RE: Tiger Predation - Rishi - 11-17-2018

(11-16-2018, 03:52 PM)Rage2277 Wrote:
When a tiger hunts down the wild boar,
it's the most toughest creature to bring it down, it can take upto an hour or more for wildboar to finally give up.

Yeah, they are tough alright.

The largest male I've seen was bigger than a sloth bear & their body seems to have evolved solely against tiger/leopard attacks.
Other that that thick ruff on the back of their neck, their spine lies atleast 6 inches deep inside strong muscles.

How ineffective those neck bites look!
And these ones are a medium sized subspecies...

RE: Tiger Predation - GuateGojira - 11-19-2018

(11-17-2018, 09:36 AM)Rishi Wrote: Yeah, they are tough alright.

The largest male I've seen was bigger than a sloth bear & their body seems to have evolved solely against tiger/leopard attacks.
Other that that thick ruff on the back of their neck, their spine lies atleast 6 inches deep inside strong muscles.

How ineffective those neck bites look!
And these ones are a medium sized subspecies...

The wild boar is maybe one of the most dangerous prey for any predator, they are fairly large, tick skin, huge head with terrible tusks and a terrible atitude.

Even then, some tiger populations like those of the Russian far east and especially those from the Caspian region, made it its main prey. That is why I hypotesized that the great development of the sagital crest, large canines and broad muzzle of these tiger populations were the result of the predation on wild boars, something that even the Bengalt tiger do not have.

This is the size of the Indian/Nepalese wild boar:

Dr Seidensticker in formed that Nepalese tigers do hunted boars of up to 230 kg! But normally the boars from the Indian subcontinent are very small, like the average size portrayed in my comparative image. However the wild boars from the Caspian region and the Amur are true giants!