WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - Tshokwane - 07-23-2018

Since Peter has already made it quite clear on the other Tiger thread, I'll make the same here.

You lads, without giving names, need to colaborate with us mods. 

Not push, demand, or fight each other like 12 year old kids. Just colaborate with us.

So, when we point out something to you, for example "this is misinformation, watch your source", or "don't answer that, he's just provoking you", we're not doing it just to lord ourselves over you. It takes time to moderate a forum, and we have lives like everyone else.

So, give us a hand, colaborate with us and so we won't have to be deleting specific posts that mess up very good threads.

And, then again, if one of your posts gets deleted, don't take it personally, try to see how it fits with the well being of the whole thread or maybe just to keep peace(trust me, I've deleted my own posts sometimes, even though it was something I really wanted to say to someone).

RE: Tiger Predation - sanjay - 07-29-2018

RAREST OF THE RARE! BENGAL TIGER ON ADULT RHINO KILL

Wildlife photography is not only about beautiful birds and lovable mammals. And Tiger is not a cuddly pussycat who you pet at home. However adorable and graceful it may look, Tiger is actually a lethal killing machine and the top predator in its habitat. All animals, big and small, are prone to become food of the Tiger.

In the forests of Assam, this Male Tiger at its prime killed an adult rhino, four or five times its own weight, that was grazing in a swamp and was in a relatively vulnerable position. The tiger sprang on to the top of the rhino from the higher bank of the swamp and broke the rhino’s neck before it could put up much of a fight! The tiger then gorged himself with its prize prey allowing many images and poses.

A few events in the forest are truly unforgettable and rank as rarest of the rare! This is one of them.

On this International Tiger Day, let us all take a solemn pledge to do our best to save the wild tigers of India and their habitats under threat.

Assam
India
By: Rajarshi Banerji

*This image is copyright of its original author

Image credit to: Rajarshi Banerji

Some for the comments

Debasis Bose: Unbelievable! Rarest of rare sightings! Have never heard of tiger successfully hunting an adult Rhino....Rajarshida, by any chance did you observe the tiger hunting the rhino down...am sure even Corbett and Kenneth did not have the fortune to observe such a scene. Incredible frame
--Rajarshi Banerji: There are many accounts of tiger killing rhino in Dudhwa and Kaziranga

Raj Ghosh: Was the kill actually seen? I mean, it's highly unlikely even for a tiger to bring down an adult specimen of Rinoceros unicornis unless it's a very sick, dying animal. Apart from its nearly two-ton bulk, the great one horned rhino has the armoured hide which can be more than a mouthful for those lethal three & half inch cannies. I've never before heard or read about a tiger even attempting to kill an adult rhino. But then, the jungle defies any set pattern, & I know Rajarshida, that you are not one to share something like this on hearsay...

--Rajarshi Banerji: Raj Ghosh That is why it has been called Rarest of the Rare! I have 200 shots of this event

--Rajarshi Banerji: Moreover, there are writings on the Tiger killing adult Rhino in rare situations. Will share them with you.

--Raj Ghosh: I've known only one instance of an adult great one-horned being killed by a tiger; it took place most probably in the Agaratoli range of Kaziranga in the mid 1980s. The victim was an old bull that had been mortally wounded in a combat with another bull, and was in its death-throes, which made the tiger's job rather easy.

Singh Radhika: I think it's time you did something bigger with these photos Rajarshi Banerji. Like a major festival or exhibition or tour. Your collection is perhaps the only one of its kind.

Dipanwita Koley: Never heard before. But as I know you...always there at the right place and at the right moment! Lady luck's favourite!
Ketan Sengupta: Rajarshi Banerji How could he manage to kill . Unbelievable! Priceless collection, can possibly take you to the HALL OF FAME among wild life photographers.

Shibasis Dutt: Are you sure that the hadn't died of some other cause and the opportunist Tiger was just making a feast of the carcass

--Rajarshi Banerji: No. He killed the Rhino. And ate it !

--Shibasis Dutt: Unbelievable, I remember hearing the whole story from you, unbelievable power. Regarding the photo, one of the best I have ever seen.

Shakti Ranjan Banerjee: Rajarshi, do you think the rhino was brought down by the Tiger?

--Rajarshi Banerji: Yes it was Shakti da

Maya Ramaswamy: it would be so much easier to turn around under and suffocate as they normally do adult gaur.. but i guess the rhino's hide flaps would be in the way..

Krishnendu Chaudhury: I didn't know tigers can take down rhinos. Rhinos have weight advantage as well as that thick skin which is immune to tiger bites?
--Rajarshi Banerji: Pl read narrative. It broke the grazing rhino's neck, jumping in from a vantage point. Didn't pierce its hide much at that stage.

RE: Tiger Predation - Diamir2 - 07-30-2018

Predation by tigers on rhino cows and calves is belleved to be an important factor in keeping down the population of rhinos in Gorumara and Jaldapara.(Gorumara National Park)
http://www.rhinoresourcecenter.com/index.php?s=5d1058cd65514c0a61194fabaca3b8ed&act=refs&CODE=ref_detail&id=1165240441
Bist S.S. 1994  Population history of rhinoceros in North Bengal

"In West Bengal, approximately 6 rhinos were reported to die annually due to tiger attacks during early 1970s as per the census report of March, 1972 2 (mother and calf) in 1952 in Gorumara; 1 calf in 1968 in north Bengal outside reserve; 1 calf each in Jaldapara in 1974, 1981, 1991 and 1995. The last one was about 2.5-3 years old. It was killed and eaten by a tiger on 3.3.1995. One female calf was killed by tiger in Gorumara in 1994-95, but now there is no tiger in this Park. On 18.1.1997 a female calf was found dead due to tiger attack in Jaldapara."
Tiger vs rhino
http://wwf.panda.org/wwf_news/?18912/WWF-helps-orphan-rhinos-in-Nepal
http://www.wwfnepal.org/media_room/news/?18912/WWF-helps-orphan-rhinos-in-Nepal
"The two greater one-horned rhinos (Rhinoceros unicornis) include a female who was rescued four years ago after its mother was killed by a tiger, and a male who was rescued after being washed away and separated from its mother about eight years ago"

Wild Asian elephants distinguish aggressive tiger and leopard growls according to perceived danger
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3971691/

RE: Tiger Predation - Jeffrey - 07-30-2018

Credits to Rajarshi Banerji 

ALBUM : SECRETS OF WILD INDIA

IMAGE: FACEOFF OVER CALF DEATH

After a rhino calf was killed and partially eaten by a tiger, scavengers like vultures and wild boars moved in. But the bereaved rhino mother and other rhinos engaged in a night-long battle with the scavengers to protect the little lifeless body from getting ravaged further.......a scene charged with emotion and tension!

PL VIEW FULLSCREEN

A wealth of wildlife exists at the fringe of, or outside protected areas in India, just as inside the PAs. One has to look for it over a period of time and keep trying for it. In some situations, the guidance and support of the departmental officials are necessary and invaluable. This will be an album of images depicting secret scenes that are enacted every day and every night in the forest...but which you hardly ever get to see...
N.B. Locations and photo technicalities cannot be disclosed to protect the safety of wildlife.

RE: Tiger Predation - P.T.Sondaica - 07-30-2018

@sanjay hi sir thats tiger kill adult health rhino????

RE: Tiger Predation - Shir Babr - 07-30-2018

(07-29-2018, 11:14 PM)sanjay Wrote: Singh Radhika: I think it's time you did something bigger with these photos Rajarshi Banerji. Like a major festival or exhibition or tour. Your collection is perhaps the only one of its kind.

No reply to that. Rajarshi Banerji could easily dissipate all the questioning and doubt by just showing a few low resolution images... Now that someone is claiming to have graphic evidence of a predation event of that magnitude I'm with that lot of people eagerly waiting for a glimpse of the actual attack that broke an adult rhino's neck.

RE: Tiger Predation - sanjay - 07-30-2018

(07-30-2018, 07:01 AM)P.T.Sondaica Wrote: hi sir thats tiger kill adult health rhino????
Yes, according to The photographer Rajarshi.. He killed and ate him

(07-30-2018, 07:51 AM)Shir Babr Wrote: No reply to that.
I think he had replied to that as well... Please go to his page and read the comments.. there is lot of interesting comments.

(07-30-2018, 08:38 AM)sanjay Wrote:
(07-30-2018, 07:51 AM)Shir Babr Wrote: No reply to that.
I think he had replied to that as well... Please go to his page and read the comments.. there is lot of interesting comments.

I did, both links took me to his facebook page and I scrolled until posts from 2016 but couldn't find that one. Maybe I can't see it because I'm not a contact.

RE: Tiger Predation - P.T.Sondaica - 07-30-2018

@sanjay where pic that tiger attack adult healthy rhino..i think he have too..not just rhino carcas eaten by tiger..can he show here?

(07-30-2018, 09:05 AM)Shir Babr Wrote: Maybe I can't see it because I'm not a contact.
Yes, I think this is the case. The photos are visible to his friend list only .. He has whole serious of photos from Assam...
Here is the link of the photo, If you are in his friendlist you can see it..
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214687233548437
Below is screenshot, I took for you guys

(07-30-2018, 09:11 AM)P.T.Sondaica Wrote: .i think he have too..not just rhino carcas eaten by tiger..can he show here?
This is not my photos, Its photos of Rajarashi. He has took more than 200 photos of this.. Its upto him to share with others. I think its very rare photos and he want to keep it safe from those who steal other works. May be he can win prize for this photos.. so its necessary to keep it secret as long as possible. Please understand the photographer perspective

Edit: Added few more comments above

RE: Tiger Predation - peter - 07-30-2018

(07-30-2018, 12:44 AM)Diamir2 Wrote: Predation by tigers on rhino cows and calves is belleved to be an important factor in keeping down the population of rhinos in Gorumara and Jaldapara.(Gorumara National Park)
http://www.rhinoresourcecenter.com/index.php?s=5d1058cd65514c0a61194fabaca3b8ed&act=refs&CODE=ref_detail&id=1165240441
Bist S.S. 1994  Population history of rhinoceros in North Bengal

"In West Bengal, approximately 6 rhinos were reported to die annually due to tiger attacks during early 1970s as per the census report of March, 1972 2 (mother and calf) in 1952 in Gorumara; 1 calf in 1968 in north Bengal outside reserve; 1 calf each in Jaldapara in 1974, 1981, 1991 and 1995. The last one was about 2.5-3 years old. It was killed and eaten by a tiger on 3.3.1995. One female calf was killed by tiger in Gorumara in 1994-95, but now there is no tiger in this Park. On 18.1.1997 a female calf was found dead due to tiger attack in Jaldapara."
Tiger vs rhino
http://wwf.panda.org/wwf_news/?18912/WWF-helps-orphan-rhinos-in-Nepal
http://www.wwfnepal.org/media_room/news/?18912/WWF-helps-orphan-rhinos-in-Nepal
"The two greater one-horned rhinos (Rhinoceros unicornis) include a female who was rescued four years ago after its mother was killed by a tiger, and a male who was rescued after being washed away and separated from its mother about eight years ago"

Wild Asian elephants distinguish aggressive tiger and leopard growls according to perceived danger
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3971691/

I agree it isn't new. You can find a lot of information about tigers and elephants and tigers and rhinos in old books. Most unfortunately, indidents witnessed, and described, a century ago are not taken very serious today. 

Photographers interested in wildlife seem to compare to the old hunters in that not a few of them captured things not even considered by many biologists. I'm not saying that all reports published are always reliable, but many photographers witnessed incidents you never read about.

I understand why remarkable photographs are only visible for those who know about social media, but these, in a way, compare to paid television. Good information should be available for all. If wildlife photographers want compensation for the time invested, a book is a decent option. Exceptional photographs can also be used in a documentary.

#1,301

Thanks for your effort but I'm not allowed to see the link. But as I understand it, even in the link the person isn't sharing more than that only picture you initially shared of the tiger feeding.

(07-30-2018, 12:06 PM)peter Wrote: I understand why remarkable photographs are only visible for those who know about social media, but these, in a way, compare to paid television. Good information should be available for all. If wildlife photographers want compensation for the time invested, a book is a decent option. Exceptional photographs can also be used in a documentary.

Yes it seems the author isn't really interested in simply sharing the important ones since he could show low resolution versions or watermark them to avoid misunderstandings about authorship. Photos of tigers eating rhinos have been shown before, here the important ones are those showing the actual attack on a healthy, free moving individual. That video of a snow leopard falling from a cliff with a bharal is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen and it was made readily available for all the world to see. I'm excited about them, let's just hope they're available sometime and live up to their description.

(07-30-2018, 02:13 PM)Shir Babr Wrote: That video of a snow leopard falling from a cliff with a bharal is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen
Couldn't agree more.. This is the also best things I have seen of real in my entire life...

I think we should have a thread for listing rarest of the rare events that actually have been captured in camera/video with proper evidence in order. Though this is tough to manage..