WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - Diamir2 - 03-01-2018

(02-28-2018, 05:54 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 03:36 AM)Diamir2 Wrote:

Diamir, have you heard about story of battle or hunt of Siberian tiger and brown bear described by Jankovski (Янковский)? If you have - where exactly is described such a story? @peter and Warsaw are currently discussing in length that topic. Thanks.
https://docviewer.yandex.ru

RE: Tiger Predation - Wolverine - 03-01-2018

Many thanks Diamir. So that's the book "Half century tiger hunting" by Jankovski father we just discussed in "On the edge of extinction" threadth. In the future have to find where exactly in this book is the interesting passage.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-01-2018

Any chance on Translating it?

RE: Tiger Predation - Wolverine - 03-01-2018

To translate whole book of 70 pages??... Are you kidding with me bro?... If you pay me 2000 bucks I am ready ...

If seriously soon I am going to translate a small story about fierce tiger-wild boar battle from another Jankovski's book - "Tiger, deer and genshen".

RE: Tiger Predation - Rishi - 03-01-2018

(02-27-2018, 12:50 AM)Pckts Wrote: Today morning Dewada zone 

Video credit Ajay Madavi

One thing I've consistently noticed that tiger's method of tackling larger bulls is sorta.. crude!
It seems they try to not have any business with the pointy ends & try to hamstring it before starting to devour it alive!

*This image is copyright of its original author

Quote:The Order of the Jungle…

I was fortunate to be the naturalist for this morning vehicle safari. The jungle was blanketed by a layer of mist. We had just seen a leopard stalk a chital and disappear into the woods. As we were moving towards the sunset point, I spotted a bull gaur resting very close to the track. The jeep driver was excited to move the vehicle close to the gaur, and I told him to stop, and warned the guests that if I moved any farther, the bull would be disturbed.

However, the gaur seemed to be struggling when he decided to move. Then we saw the reason behind this: an injured and fractured front leg. He was in deep pain when he moved and finally collapsed a few feet away.

I called the forest department to keep them informed about the injured animal and to tell the safari vehicles not to venture too close to the subject in the safaris that were to follow in the afternoon, as it could become even more painful for the gaur to move.

When I went on the safari the following day, I saw the gaur’s carcass with the eyes open and the tongue hanging out of the mouth.

In the subsequent morning safari, as we moved back to the carcass, we noticed that its hind portion was open. There were some forest personnel who showed us pictures of two cats; a Tiger and a Tigress feasting on the carcass the previous night.
However, I didn’t lose hope, and used my binoculars to completely scan through the dry lantana bushes closer to the carcass. As I was scanning, my eyes got fixated on a big cat. We then saw a tiger coming close to the kill. It kept looking at us, except for casting a glance on the crows who were continuously beckoning to their flock, intimating them of the ‘feast’ at the graciousness of the tiger.
The above incident saw a pair injuring a gaur & taking of. They tracked him back after he succumbed to those the next morning.

I think this happens a somewhat often too... Because some of the images that'd made me go how-could-it-possibly-have-killed-that, shows sign of putrefaction.

RE: Tiger Predation - Wolverine - 03-02-2018

Here is passage of a fierce tiger-wild boar struggle translated from Jankovski Junior's book "Tiger, deer, jenshen" (1993), page 9.

https://www.litmir.me/br/?b=181911&p=9

"We are looking down from the rock - there took part a battle between giants.
The boar has come here long ago. Beneath the rock on the fallen leafs he has been lying and warming itself. There he stayed until the attack. The traces gave us an impression about the struggle: the branches were broken, snow with fallen leafs digged, everywhere we could see a blood. Further down the steep mountain slope was made a whole road. Among broken and crashed bushes were visible parts of wool, bristle and red spots.

It was clear that the tiger was riding on top of the wild boar trying to kill him with all his efforts, and the boar has been carrying the huge tiger's body on his mighty back. The boar descended on the slope with big angle strongly resting against his hoofs uprooting and bulldozering a bushes and stones....

We were holding our dogs on leash, carefully step by step we followed the beasts and had no doubts that tiger succeeded to overcome the boar and there very close was torning him apart on peaces and feeding on his body. Now in any moment we expected to see the redish stripe...

But it happened something unthinkable. The old mighty male boar succeeded to escape. And something more, he succeeded to make an injury to the tiger punching the cat with his terrific canine tooth. Obviuosly that decided the outcome of the battle. The tiger sharply jumped to the right leaving on the snow surface a  bright drops of blood, than without stopping, the boar continued to bulldozer and crush all obstacles ahead.

We were totally surprised. What actually happened? Tiger didn't calculated something. Probably the old male boar heard in the last moment the noise of approaching tiger and made a sharp movement disturbing the projected trajectory of tigers jump? Or maybe the lord underestimated the power of the boar? It was obvious that he didn't catch the boar in deadly way and didn't succeed to crush his back as with case of horses or even bulls.

For this victory, or rather for this "honorable draw" the old male boar pay a high price, most probably he died from his injuries, but we didn't have time to check."

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 03-03-2018

Tiger stalks sloth bear family and then chased off by the bear at Ranthambore.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-04-2018

Today morning Maya hunted down a spotted deer.  

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 03-04-2018

Tiger feeding on a gaur alive....

RE: Tiger Predation - Polar - 03-04-2018

(03-03-2018, 03:49 PM)Apollo Wrote: Tiger stalks sloth bear family and then chased off by the bear at Ranthambore.

What is up with sloth bears and tigers this past 2 years? They seem to be having a species-wide war now... Laughing

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 03-05-2018

(03-04-2018, 11:58 AM)Polar Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 03:49 PM)Apollo Wrote: Tiger stalks sloth bear family and then chased off by the bear at Ranthambore.

What is up with sloth bears and tigers this past 2 years? They seem to be having a species-wide war now... Laughing

I guess sheer luck and increase in tourism.
I remember a decade ago finding a tiger predation was such a rare incident.

Corbett tiger hunting deer.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-06-2018

The video of Maya hunting down the Stag.
 Girish Doad'

RE: Tiger Predation - ShereKhan - 03-06-2018

(03-05-2018, 12:57 PM)Apollo Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 11:58 AM)Polar Wrote:

I guess sheer luck and increase in tourism.
I remember a decade ago finding a tiger predation was such a rare incident.

Corbett tiger hunting deer.

That's not exactly "hunting." The deer is already dead and the tiger is dragginig it away.

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 03-06-2018

Tiger try to attack elephant at Corbett.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-06-2018

So dangerous, looks like a youngsters curiosity and I'm glad the tiger thought better and moved off.