WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - shaileshsharadnaik - 03-13-2016

Sonam tigress on her sambar kill spotted by us on 4 March at jamunzora area in Tadoba. All 3 cubs were also with her.

RE: Tiger Predation - shaileshsharadnaik - 03-13-2016

(03-13-2016, 03:01 PM)shaileshsharadnaik Wrote: Sonam tigress on her sambar kill spotted by us on 4 March at jamunzora area in Tadoba. All 3 cubs were also with her.

Sonam with one of the cubs on the sambar kill

RE: Tiger Predation - Dr Panthera - 03-15-2016

(03-11-2016, 02:22 AM)parvez Wrote:
(03-11-2016, 02:14 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(03-11-2016, 02:08 AM)parvez Wrote:
*This image is copyright of its original author

Sunderbans tiger killing estuarine crocodile.
That is machli from Ranthambhore not sunderbans.
Oh, I too had the same thing in my mind. But the content was clear that it was sunderbans. Who knows the picture may be a filed one of machli.
http://carnivoraforum.com/topic/10246769/1/

This picture is taken by Valmik Thapar and published in his book "Wild Tigers of Ranthambhore"...I will get you the page number once I dig the book, this is Machli indeed , possibly the most famous tigress ever...the crocodile in the picture is clearly a mugger crocodile and not a saltwater crocodile.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-15-2016

The same shot as yours @shaileshsharadnaik

Mother of 3 Cubs Sonam - The Tigress with her Sambar Kill at Jamunzora of Mohruli | March 2016

RE: Tiger Predation - shaileshsharadnaik - 03-16-2016

(03-15-2016, 11:58 PM)Yes Pckts.Neeraj was there on that day Pckts Wrote: The same shot as yours @shaileshsharadnaik

Mother of 3 Cubs Sonam - The Tigress with her Sambar Kill at Jamunzora of Mohruli | March 2016

RE: Tiger Predation - parvez - 03-18-2016

(03-15-2016, 05:24 AM)Dr Panthera Wrote:

Oh, I too had the same thing in my mind. But the content was clear that it was sunderbans. Who knows the picture may be a filed one of machli.

This picture is taken by Valmik Thapar and published in his book "Wild Tigers of Ranthambhore"...I will get you the page number once I dig the book, this is Machli indeed , possibly the most famous tigress ever...the crocodile in the picture is clearly a mugger crocodile and not a saltwater crocodile.
Hello Dr.Panthera,  I have a doubt since some years, Is Machli still alive? If she is she must be surely 18 and above, which is record breaking span for a wild tiger. I have searched in the web she still seems to be alive. Can you please clarify?

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-21-2016

Something is chasing the Gaur .. cant see it ...look harder.

Copyright : Varun Thakkar — with Varun Thakkar.

Kishore Kumar‎WILDLIFE ACTION PHOTOGRAPHY
This was my first safari and my first sighting of a tiger and also a tiger kill., witnessing the entire sequence of chase, the choke and finally feeding on the kill. This pic was taken when it was starting to feed on its kill, the setting sun adding the glint in eye enhancing the power of the stare. The entire episode would remain etched forever in me. Thanks Chandrashekar Kalyanasundaram, #WAPTIGER — with Pradeep Elango and Prabu Elango.

T6 before T64 pushed him out.

@parvez
machli is still alive, she has only lived this long because of the FD getting involved. They bring her food and maintain a man made watering hole, she can barely hunt and kill, she would never have made it this long without their help.
She even recently got severely injured in a fight with a male tiger, I believe it was Sultan.

RE: Tiger Predation - Dr Panthera - 03-23-2016

(03-18-2016, 07:18 PM)parvez Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 05:24 AM)Dr Panthera Wrote:

Hello Dr.Panthera,  I have a doubt since some years, Is Machli still alive? If she is she must be surely 18 and above, which is record breaking span for a wild tiger. I have searched in the web she still seems to be alive. Can you please clarify?

I doubt she would still be alive, she was well pictured as a young adult in the late 1990's and as a prime age adult in the early 2000's .
She lived to at least age 14 where she was videotaped in a documentary where she lost most of her teeth fighting crocodiles ( around 2010) if she is alive she would be over 20 years of age...the equivalent to 120 year old human!!

RE: Tiger Predation - Shardul - 03-23-2016

Machli is still alive, even making kills every now and then. When she dies, it will be news. She is probably the most famous tiger in the world.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-23-2016

(03-23-2016, 04:28 AM)Shardul Wrote: Machli is still alive, even making kills every now and then. When she dies, it will be news. She is probably the most famous tiger in the world.

I have read that she makes kills from time to time but I also know that she is given food by the FD as well.
Is that correct?

I also read that she recently lost an eye in a fight with sultan?

RE: Tiger Predation - Shardul - 03-23-2016

Yes, I have heard that as well. If that's true I don't agree with it.

I don't know about the eye. haven't seen a very recent picture of her.

RE: Tiger Predation - Dr Panthera - 03-24-2016

(03-23-2016, 04:28 AM)Shardul Wrote: Machli is still alive, even making kills every now and then. When she dies, it will be news. She is probably the most famous tiger in the world.

The latest reliable sighting I could find was in May 2014 which we would put her at 17.5-18 years of age, do you have sources of more recent sightings if still alive she will be nearing 20 years of age which is remarkable.
At that time her pictures were in very sorry state..all her canines were broken , very thin, and in bad shape, the forest guards were helping feeding her since 2011 despite the objection of Valmik Thapar , it was quite sad seeing this tigress that defeated several male tigers and crocodiles over the years to be reduced to that state.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-24-2016

Rahul Jain Frm Jpr photography

Like This Page · June 30, 2015 ·

"T16 Machli - The Queen of Tigers Ranthambhore National Park i wish happy to seen log life be happy your age 19 live in jungel nature

Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe and have faith that everything will work out for the best "

Machli - The Queen of Tigers
March 1, 2015 ·
Update on Machli: She is now almost 19 years of age and doing well despite a few minor injuries in recent months.
There has been a great deal of controversy over whether she should be put down or not. The forest department have been feeding her artificially for some time now as she cannot hunt for herself. Some believe that Machli is being rejected a natural death and only being kept alive to fuel tourism in the area. What are your opinions? Let us know in the comments below.

"Machali Suspected Eye Loss, INDIA - Machali, the iconic tigress of Ranthambhore National Park, who has earned an estimated $800 million dollars in her lfe, for tourism, is suspected to have lost one of her eyes after a fight with the tiger T-72, Sultan. She has moved herself into another safer area.

Lets hope that all that money she has earned for humans, will help her.... More to come"
http://www.ranthamborenationalpark.com/blog/machli-losing-an-eye-in-a-fight/

Correct. She is being watched closely and fed occasionally too!
julianmatthews | 8 months ago
Quote:
Julian is Machali still being watched closely by the forest guards? I think she needs to be, especially as she's on the fringes of the park
tigerfan | 8 months ago

With park closed we have not heard. She is very much on the fringes of the park these days - near the offices of Tigerwatch!

Pranjita, a few months back Julian said Machali is very much on the fringes of the park these days - near the offices of Tigerwatch. xx

tigerfan | 30 days ago

This is all the information I could find.
It seems like she is still alive but lets be patient and wait for an image first before we celebrate.

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 03-28-2016

If you ask me, I would totally support the artificial feeding for Machali.
She is the most photographed tiger in the world.
She as brought in alot of revenue for the indian government.
She played a vital role in tiger conservation.
She attracted alot of people into this and brought awareness among them.
In her prime days she was a great mother, a great hunter, a great ruler and fearless.
She is one of the greatest ambassadors representing tigers and tiger conservation.

She deserves it.

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 03-31-2016

(03-10-2016, 05:17 AM)Apollo Wrote: Tigress Sonam dragging the remains of a large male sambar in Tadoba

Videoclip of this feeding