WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-09-2016

We were on our second safari in RTR and after tracking leopard for good 15 mins on our 1st safari we thought the trip couldn't get better. But an unexpected surprise was waiting for us. We were tracking T19s male and female cub in zone 3 when we came across this independent male cub trying to cool himself in a lake. Slightly disturbed by the presence of hoards of vehicles the cub decided to wander in a thick grass growth on the far side of the lake, anticipating his moves our experience guide Nagendraji took the vehicle to around 400 mtrs from the point we saw it to where we could see the grass thicket end. In around 10 minutes the tiger emerged from the growth and was about to pass the waterway to the otherside, this is what we thought but the tiger had something else in his mind.. on entering the water it first growled at a crocodile that was lurking around, the crocodile wisely and quickly went into the water. The tiger then treaded the water and at a point it crouched, we wondered why it was crouching and before any other thought entertained our mind the tiger in split second pounced on this unaware soft shell turtle holding it by its flap trashing it on rocks, pressed it underwater suffocating it for good 5-7 mins, pulled it out again trashing it around for the second time and then taking the dead turle inside the tall grass for a feast.. with Nagendra Singh Rajawat

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Tiger Predation - parvez - 03-09-2016

(02-11-2016, 11:24 AM)Apollo Wrote: Hi Guys,

Here is something very special for all wildfact members.
A super duper rare footage of Kaziranga tiger taking down a cattle.
Enjoy the pics

Wow, that's a great post. Thanks Apollo. Though the tiger looks sub-adult, it is a true indicative of stockiness of kaziranga tigers. It would be great to see them hunting big prey videos. I know it will occur for a long time, may be a hour or more but I am dying to see them bring down the big game.

RE: Tiger Predation - parvez - 03-09-2016

(03-09-2016, 02:57 AM)Pckts Wrote: We were on our second safari in RTR and after tracking leopard for good 15 mins on our 1st safari we thought the trip couldn't get better. But an unexpected surprise was waiting for us. We were tracking T19s male and female cub in zone 3 when we came across this independent male cub trying to cool himself in a lake. Slightly disturbed by the presence of hoards of vehicles the cub decided to wander in a thick grass growth on the far side of the lake, anticipating his moves our experience guide Nagendraji took the vehicle to around 400 mtrs from the point we saw it to where we could see the grass thicket end. In around 10 minutes the tiger emerged from the growth and was about to pass the waterway to the otherside, this is what we thought but the tiger had something else in his mind.. on entering the water it first growled at a crocodile that was lurking around, the crocodile wisely and quickly went into the water. The tiger then treaded the water and at a point it crouched, we wondered why it was crouching and before any other thought entertained our mind the tiger in split second pounced on this unaware soft shell turtle holding it by its flap trashing it on rocks, pressed it underwater suffocating it for good 5-7 mins, pulled it out again trashing it around for the second time and then taking the dead turle inside the tall grass for a feast.. with Nagendra Singh Rajawat

I once saw in a television show, a tiger tore of the two attached portions of the shell and then had the animal inside for supper. Unfortunately, I do not have the link. I searched everywhere in the internet for it. But to no avail.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-09-2016

@parvez
I'd love to see that.
Varty says that the tiger can crush turtle shell fairly easy.

Also, You think that tiger looks sub adult?
To me he looks like a prime male, I'd hate to imaging him as an adult if he truly is a sub adult. Either way, just another impressive specimen from the land of Kaziranga.

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 03-10-2016

Tigress Sonam dragging the remains of a large male sambar in Tadoba

RE: Tiger Predation - parvez - 03-10-2016

(03-09-2016, 11:03 PM)Pckts Wrote: @parvez
I'd love to see that.
Varty says that the tiger can crush turtle shell fairly easy.

Also, You think that tiger looks sub adult?
To me he looks like a prime male, I'd hate to imaging him as an adult if he truly is a sub adult. Either way, just another impressive specimen from the land of Kaziranga.

Yes, when I saw it at first sight, I was shell shocked by the brute strength of the tiger, the tiger was probably sumatran. But unfortunately it is not found in the internet. 
The tiger seems to be a sub-adult to me. You can see his pink nose indicative of sub-adult. In kaziranga, sub-adults too are physically impressive. You can recall the young kaziranga tiger rescued from well, how wide it was, how well built he was. Those kaziranga tigers are truly impressive right from sub-adult stage. Btw fully grown adult specimens from kaziranga are clearly and fairly bigger.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-10-2016

@parvez

I don't see a vibrant pink coloration to his nose that would make me be able to determine him as a sub adult.
Sub adult are physically impressive, in fact many experts have trouble telling them apart from their older brethren, but they still can do so.

Some differences I see
Youngsters tend to have a bit more of a "scruffy coat" and softer features, almost like they still are shedding their juvenile fur.
Their muscles aren't as developed yet and of course, their pink noses

Looking at said Kaziranga male
He is dense, muscle packed, hunting on his own and obviously sure of himself and his skills.

I would guess him to be coming right into his prime, age 5 i'd say.

RE: Tiger Predation - parvez - 03-11-2016

@Pckts

I still think he is not fully grown yet. He still has the potential to grow more IMO. That is what I can assure you. Trust me adult kaziranga tigers are clearly bigger.

Sunderbans tiger killing estuarine crocodile.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-11-2016

(03-11-2016, 01:19 AM)parvez Wrote: @Pckts

I still think he is not fully grown yet. He still has the potential to grow more IMO. That is what I can assure you. Trust me adult kaziranga tigers are clearly bigger.

Trust me, you're going to be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of kaziranga male tigers than me.
I know what they look like, he looks like a big, beautiful male kazi tiger. Adult and power packed... like the many others shown in this thread....
http://wildfact.com/forum/topic-biggest-kaziranga-tiger?highlight=kaziranga+tiger

If you'd like to look at objectively than you must take into count the following information
-He is no longer with his mother
-He has established his own territory
-He is of breeding age
-He is a solo hunter

So, judging by the criteria above, he is >4 years of age and thus is in his Adult stage.
This is of course, purely speculative but going off of the facts listed above, it makes sense to be adult over sub adult.

(03-11-2016, 02:08 AM)parvez Wrote:

That is machli from Ranthambhore not sunderbans.

(03-11-2016, 02:11 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(03-11-2016, 01:19 AM)parvez Wrote: @Pckts

Trust me, you're going to be  hard pressed to find a bigger fan of kaziranga male tigers than me.
I know what they look like, he looks like a big, beautiful male kazi tiger. Adult and power packed... like the many others shown in this thread....
http://wildfact.com/forum/topic-biggest-kaziranga-tiger?highlight=kaziranga+tiger

If you'd like to look at objectively than you must take into count the following information
-He is no longer with his mother
-He has established his own territory
-He is of breeding age
-He is a solo hunter

So, judging by the criteria above, he is  >4 years of age and thus is in his Adult stage.
This is of course, purely speculative but going off of the facts listed above, it makes sense to be adult over sub adult.
Well, I cannot force my opinion on you. If you are strongly aligned to it, let it be. You can call whatever you feel like..

(03-11-2016, 02:14 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(03-11-2016, 02:08 AM)parvez Wrote:

That is machli from Ranthambhore not sunderbans.
Oh, I too had the same thing in my mind. But the content was clear that it was sunderbans. Who knows the picture may be a filed one of machli.
http://carnivoraforum.com/topic/10246769/1/

@parvez
The picture is different than the account

" crocodile's belly, and flipped him"-eighteen hundred pounds of estuarine crocodile, which the tiger then ripped open"

As you can see, in this account the tiger killed the croc by flipping him then ripping him open.

Here's the video

(03-11-2016, 02:39 AM)Pckts Wrote: @parvez
The picture is different than the account

" crocodile's belly, and flipped him"-eighteen hundred pounds of estuarine crocodile, which the tiger then ripped open"

As you can see, in this account the tiger killed the croc by flipping him then ripping him open.

Here's the video

Yes, that is what i have said, the picture may be a filed one of machli. In the above case, the crocodile was in water, so it isn't that tough to flip it. But on land, it is truly a big challenge for any solo feline to flip it inverse.