WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - sanjay - 01-15-2016

This awesome image is taken by wildlife photographer Rajarshi Banerji from India, In this image, I tigress climbed upto 30 feet to catch a langur (black face Indian monkey) prey.
According to Rajarshi

"'In one of the rarest natural history moments witnessed in Indian national parks, a Tigress sprinted to and climbed a Sal tree up to about thirty feet in lightning speed to kill a Langur prey. God blessed me with incredible reflex at that moment to capture the whole series in 11 successive frames. An once-in-a-lifetime image at Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh."
Tigress climbed a tree to catch prey
*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Tiger Predation - sanjay - 01-15-2016

Another awesome image by Rajarshi Banerji. In this image A tigress is stalking herd of elephant.
According to him
"Elephant herds with babies are very careful about tiger attacks and tigers know too well that elephants are not an easy prey, especially during daytime. To my great surprise, a desperate Corbett tigress with four cubs to feed, started stalking a big herd of elephants in broad daylight, causing utter panic and shrill trumpeting in the herd and eventually causing the herd to bolt away. It was amazing to see how a single tigress could scare away a big herd of elephants. I was fortunate to witness this extraordinary predator behaviour in the Bijrani Zone of Corbett in 2015."
Tiger stalking elephant

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 01-17-2016

T6 Tigress, Jai and Cubs on a Cordinated Gaur hunt

This video was shot using my Iphone 6s Plus. Cinematographer-Pankaj Thawakar.

One late afternoon, two of the most audacious cubs of T6 and JAI, Bittu and Srinivasa were on a hunting trail. In the meantime, we, after watching the Guar herd for a while decided to try our luck further up the road. The decision was a right one as within few minutes we encountered Bittu, who was walking down the road head on. He seems to be communicating with his brother Srinivasa, who had already gone inside the forest to our left. Initially we had no clue what was happening. It seems that their mother T6 had let them loose so that they could learn on their hunting skills. These cubs are about 16 months old and both are males.

As you can see, we started recording when Bittu got the scent of the Gaur herd and he keeps looking down where they were.

It was amazing to see how the cub's instinct kicked in displaying its hunting postures and gestures while he positioned himself on the Guar herd. 

The Guar herd consisted of about 5 adults and 2 young ones. They were very nervous as they had picked up the scent of the Tigers which had them cornered off. Guar is the largest Bovine in the world. They are very formidable beast who can even kill an adult tiger or its cubs easily. These 2 cubs were no match to the herd as they were quite inexperienced. In fact on sensing the danger, the whole herd surrounded the young calves and posed an impenetrable barrier. They were not an easy proposition for the Tiger cubs. As you can see from the video, Gaurs started giving out grunts and they only do if they sense any sort of danger. This is the way for them to stomp their authority and warn off the predators. This was something new for me and my mates in the gypsy. After all you don't get to see this interaction very often. For me it was once in a lifetime experience.

We in the meantime were very engrossed watching the whole hunting sequence and totally forgot to look behind us for any other signs of the mother Tigress. While we stood watch to the whole sequence of events, one of the vehicles decided to leave and they happen to spot the T6 tigress watching over her cubs progress and the whole commotion.

There were about 7 to 8 vehicles and all their attention diverted towards T6 tigress. since she was spotted, she decided to move on and cross the road to block the only exit for the Gaur herd. By this time, the Guar herd was totally surrounded and had no way to go.

The whole event lasted for more then 30mins. Unfortunately it was getting darker every minute it passed by. We decided to leave soon after this video. Not sure if the kill was made or not. Nevertheless it was a sight to behold for the rest of my life. Amazing experience indeed. 

I would like to thank my team, especially Pankaj. He made a huge difference recording this video.

RE: Tiger Predation - Polar - 01-17-2016

That's one brave tiger cub for sure! I never heard of a carnivore cub attempting/faking predation on a group of large prey before this! Not to mention, some of the guars were also huge bull ones.

RE: Tiger Predation - shaileshsharadnaik - 01-17-2016

(01-15-2016, 12:31 AM)sanjay Wrote: This awesome image is taken by wildlife photographer Rajarshi Banerji from India, In this image, I tigress climbed upto 30 feet to catch a langur (black face Indian monkey) prey.
According to Rajarshi

"'In one of the rarest natural history moments witnessed in Indian national parks, a Tigress sprinted to and climbed a Sal tree up to about thirty feet in lightning speed to kill a Langur prey. God blessed me with incredible reflex at that moment to capture the whole series in 11 successive frames. An once-in-a-lifetime image at Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh."

Sanjay,

this is really awesome. do you link to the other photos?

RE: Tiger Predation - sanjay - 01-17-2016

@shaileshsharadnaik , I saw the profile of Rajarshi Banerji but didn't saw other images. I will follow him, if I will get any i will post

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 01-19-2016

Tiger preys on buffalo, unborn calf in Odisha village

With the villagers in Thakurmunda area in Odisha’s Mayurbhanj district living in self-imposed confinement as tigers have played havoc in the hamlet, the big cats have claimed two lives yesterday.

A pregnant buffalo was caught unaware yesterday when a tiger attacked her and its two-year-old calf while they were grazing in the field at Kantabahali Sahi in Jamanda village under Thakurmunda block in Mayurbhanj district.

While the tiger first pounced on the calf and gripped the baby between its jaws, the pregnant mother stood up to the mighty animal to free its offspring. As a battle ensued between the adults, the beast freed the baby from its clutches and countered the resistance to establish his supremacy.

After a brief struggle, the tiger tore into the expectant mother’s womb silencing the bison and the unborn calf.
However, the two-year-old calf managed to escape the death trap and reached its master’s place limping with grievous injuries.

The inhabitants of the village, which comes under the Satakosia Range, are having sleepless nights due to the wild attacks.

In the last 45 days, the wild animal has attacked the domestic animals thrice and many buffaloes and cattle have been killed in the encounters.
Meanwhile, forest department officials visited the village and have submitted a report to their higher-ups, sources said.

http://odishasuntimes.com/2015/04/03/tiger-preys-on-buffalo-unborn-calf-in-odisha-village/

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 01-19-2016

Harendra TyagiSanctuary Asia

Great news for Tiger lovers.In Corbett Park Uttarakhand they have started to hunt the Elephants.Last week three Tigers mange to kill an alephant,age 10-12 years in Dhela range of the park.This photo is one of the camera trap.

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 01-24-2016

Huge sambar stag hunted by a tigress in Ranthambore

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 01-29-2016

From 13'

Returned back from Corbett after a week on Sunday...... sighted a magnificent male tiger after a huge sambar deer on a very misty day which i am sharing here with my FB friends.... (finally he gave up on this sambar while the sambar stared back at the tiger before he walked away). Its been raining there since sunday evening. More pics to follow soon — at Jim Corbett National Park.

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 01-31-2016

Watch how 4 Tiger cubs skillfully plan and hunt a wild boar. The Tiger’s challenge is to get as close as possible without being noticed. Experience the thrill of the chase!!
The mother tigress was waiting under the bushes for the cubs to chase the boar into the trap and took down the boar.
Very interesting technique.

RE: Tiger Predation - brotherbear - 01-31-2016

That was worth watching. I could just about feel the wild boar's pain while listening to his screams. This tells me that tigers have the same ability as lions to use team work in their hunts. 

RE: Tiger Predation - Polar - 02-01-2016

(01-31-2016, 06:40 PM)brotherbear Wrote: That was worth watching. I could just about feel the wild boar's pain while listening to his screams. This tells me that tigers have the same ability as lions to use team work in their hunts. 

Same as proven much earlier in this thread (when the tigress and cubs were hunting a full-grown gaur bull.) Though they don't do it as often as lions, which is why I still deem the lion a better group killer.

RE: Tiger Predation - brotherbear - 02-02-2016

Tigers being normally forest predators, being a lone hunter is probably more effective. 

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 02-02-2016

(02-02-2016, 06:27 PM)brotherbear Wrote: Tigers being normally forest predators, being a lone hunter is probably more effective. 

Agreed, usually the group hunting tigers are a family that is either taking down large game or training.
And eventually the participants of the group hunt go off on their own, sometimes courting male and females also participate in the group hunt as well.
But for the most part, lone hunting seems to be the most effective way in the forest.