WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-21-2015

It definitely looks like its stalking the calf, you can see the scene play out. Unfortunately those are the only two images I have seen of it. Definitely check out that Dudwa fan page on FB, it has awesome stuff.
Let me look a little around and see what I come up with.

Here is what he said on the sex of the Gaur in question

"#### its gaur, indian version of bison & male though a bit old or else he wouldnt have gone down by a tigress & cubs!"

My question to him was on the color, if it is a old male, it would be black or very dark brown. Im not sure if he has messenger or not and I didnt want to keep asking questions on his great photo so I sent a message. Ill let you know if I hear back. 
(I used Odin as a reference for fur color of an older bull)

Edit: @Apollo
Apparently its a old photo but he doesn't go into detail on the rest of the story.
Here is the link to the page, check it out
https://www.facebook.com/groups/friends.of.dudhwa/

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-23-2015

(03-21-2015, 12:02 AM)'Apollo' Wrote: Hey @Pckts
Any info on the rhino and tiger picture from Dudhwa ?
Is there is any story behind this picture.
I dont think its just a random crossing between these two.
I feel the tiger was stalking since its too close for the rhinoes, may be targetting the calf.

Did you ever check that page out?
Was wondering if you found anything on it that I couldn't find?

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-23-2015

Hey All,
It’s time for another story from the wild, this time from our Patron-cum-friend Devaraj.D.Ravishankar. We'll let him do all the talking !

Although I’ve been a regular visitor to a few Tiger reserves across India, Ranthambhore had always been on my wish list and I grabbed the opportunity with both hands when my group of friends decided on a trip to the land of Royal Bengal Tigers, Ranthambhore !

Wishful thinking as it may sound, notwithstanding a glorious spate of Tiger sightings (Tigress Noor with cubs as well as Tigress Krishna with her cubs) on our initial drives, I wondered if we had a parting gift in store, on our last safari. The mood in our camp was upbeat and we set out on our last game drive with bated breath. No sooner did we reach a prime location amid loud alarm calls of the Sambar Deer that we also heard distinct squeals of a Sambar in distress, suggesting a Tiger had made a successful hunt right across us, in the undergrowth.

It was then that we realized the importance of having an experienced Naturalist on-board. While the rest of the vehicles rushed to the area of the kill, our Tiger Tracker Naturalist chose to stay put at a vantage point, way behind the crowd, adjacent to a clearing where he expected the Tiger to emerge. A few tense moments and Bingo, we hit paydirt ! Our jaws dropped with astonishment when we saw Tigress Noor giving a slip to the other vehicles, only to emerge out onto the track, dragging a Sambar fawn right in front of us ! It was simply amazing to watch the Tigress walk for quite a distance (with all other vehicles following her), drop the kill & call out her cubs for supper. What transpired eventually was a dream come true for all of us ! Both her cubs came out of hiding, cuddled with their Mom and played around the kill, prior to feeding. Truly blessed to have witnessed such a magical moment in the wild !

We thus ended our trip on a high note with memories which might last an entire lifetime !!! Ranthambhore truly rocks & so do team Tiger Trackers !!!— with Goutham Shankar, Shilpa Samith, Dawn Warren Flann and 36 others.

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-25-2015

Daanish ShastriSanctuary Asia 5 hrs ·    ·   Unseeable Stripes

The tiger chased the deer onto the road in hot pursuit of one fawn. It ran across the road at such speed that the rest of the herd did not know that the predator had crossed the road. They continued to stare in the opposite direction and call for a few minutes before walking right into the section of the forest where a tired tiger had just failed to catch its kill.

In nature, nothing is certain. If it hadn't been for these images, we would've trusted the deer and thought the tiger to be on the left. How many thousand times we might have been fooled by a deer call which never leads to anything smile emoticon

Like my page for more - https://www.facebook.com/DaanishShastriWildlifePhotography

This image was taken 3 years ago in June 2012.
Nikon D5100, 70-300mm. Corbett NP, Dhikala.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-26-2015

Sudhir Shivaram Nature & Wildlife Photography Page Liked · 4 hrs ·    ·  
See my incredible series of Maya the Tiger hunting a Spotted Deer at Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve which was published in the Daily Mail UK online edition :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3009344/Brutal-nature-Incredible-images-tiger-chasing-herd-deer-killing-prey-Indian-nature-reserve.html

Check out the link for the entire series of images and Narration.
Pretty cool to see

Siddharth SinghFriends Of Dudhwa Follow · June 27, 2014 ·    ·   Re-introduction of Rhinos to Dudhwa has indirectly helped increase pray base for Dudhwa Tigers who with time have claimed many Adult Rhinos in the past few years,one of the shot from a series of 105 photos that i was able to get for the first time at Dudhwa Rhino Area,it is common for Tigers to kill Rhinos in parks of Assam and Nepal,here is proof for those critics of mine and Dudhwa who have indirectly pushed me to work harder to prove my points,i hope my photos from Dudhwa in 2013-14 will help in understanding that a lot of hard work has to be put in to get one such shot how difficult it is to save them only those who are working at ground level will understand,Sorry for bad water mark but had to protect image

RE: Tiger Predation - sanjay - 03-26-2015

@Pckts , Spectacular photos from Dudhwa . TFS

(03-26-2015, 11:31 AM)'sanjay' Wrote: @Pckts , Spectacular photos from Dudhwa . TFS

Thanks Sanjay, check out that link to the FB page I posted.
Dudwa is an amazing place.

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 03-28-2015

Tiger frolicking with fawn and carrying it like a cub .. before leaving it unharmed

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 04-07-2015

Narendra SharmaSanctuary Asia 2 hrs · Edited ·    
Mother and cub
Kolsa Range
Tadoba Tiger Reserve
March 2015.

That looks to be a Large Gaur.
I'm really starting to be amazed at the size of prey that Tigress' are able to take down as well.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 04-14-2015

Shantanu Prasad April 12 ·
The Hunt.....

This is one of the moment from the tiger killing sequence, which I was very fortunate to click; one fine morning in Satpura Tiger Reserve.... — with Sohoni Bose at Satpura Tiger Reserve.Tags: National Geographic Italia

He says he has more images otw. I'll post them once I find them.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 04-17-2015

Tigress Predation in Corbett

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 04-17-2015

RE: Tiger Predation - Roflcopters - 04-20-2015

wow, never really seen anything like this before... I felt bad for the fawn but i guess it's how the nature works.. Tfs