WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - tigerluver - 10-28-2014

Those pictures are the exact same. Either the wrong picture was used in the article just for the sake of showing a dead elephant or the info isn't accurate.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 10-28-2014

People use other pictures attached to stories many times. Sometimes the images can be to guresome for the public or their or no pictures available to the public etc.

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 11-01-2014

Tigress Gauri carrying a wildboar kill

*This image is copyright of its original author

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 11-03-2014

Bandipur tiger hunts Sambar deer

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 11-04-2014

Frank Leslie's popular monthly, Volume 45, 1879,

edited by Frank Leslie, New York: Frank Leslie's Publishing House.

53, 55, & 57 Park Place. p. 411

Elephants are very fearful of tigers, and always show more or less alarm when in their vicinity. I have known many an elephant to turn tail and run away when near the tiger's lair, and sometimes all the efforts of the mahout failed to check them. Not infrequently they run under the limbs of trees in their flight, and the howdah and its occupants are brushed off.

Major R , of Lucknow, was killed in this way during a tiger-hunt in the Pumeah district. A tiger charged his elephant, and the latter ran away. As it passed under a tree the howdah was swept off, and the major and his servant were both killed by the fall.

When in the neighborhood of a tiger the elephant generally holds his trunk high in the air, as it is his most vulnerable point, and he is anxious to protect it from injury. In a fight with a tiger the elephant uses his trunk very little, through fear of injury, but endeavors to trample his enemy under foot or pierce him with his tusks. Once let an elephant get his heavy foot fairly on a tiger, and the fight is soon over; it is all up with the yellow-coated thief -or, rather, it is all down with him. But in the majority of fights between them, the tiger generally gets the best of it, or would do so, if man did not come to the elephant's aid. In one of our hunts in the northeast we had one elephant killed by a tiger-or, rather, he was so badly hurt that he died the next day-and another very severely wounded. Even the elephant's thick hide cannot resist the tiger's claws; and as for his teeth, they have been known to make an impression on a plate of iron.

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 11-04-2014

Dudhwa Tiger Reserve loses its oldest rhino

One of the oldest rhinoceros in the country passed away at Dudhwa 
Tiger Reserve in Lakhimpur Kheri district on Sunday morning, reserve officials said. Hemrani, a female, lived to the ripe old age of 41 (the average life span of a rhino is 36-38 years), World Wildlife Fund (WWF) coordinator Mudit Gupta said. The rhino had not been keeping well for some time. 

A postmortem conducted by a panel of veterinarians under supervision of wildlife experts and WWF officials concluded that Hemrani died of old age, Gupta said. The rhino's viscera have been preserved for analysis. 

Dudhwa deputy director Vinod Krishna Singh said Hemrani was arguably the oldest rhino in captivity in the country.  On Saturday night, a patrol team keeping watch on Hemrani saw her stagger into a forest pond, called Kakraha Tal, where she remained, refusing to move. The reserve staff, including two guards mounted on elephants, tried to rouse her by patting her on the back encouragingly and exhorting her to move by calling out her name, but to no avail. Hemrani breathed her last on Sunday morning. 

Singh said Hemrani had been weakened being attacked after being attacked by a tiger last year. She suffered deep injuries on her spinal cord and back. "We had put her in a separate enclosure after that incident and it took nearly four months for her to recover," Singh said. 

Brought to Dudhwa from Pavitra wild life sanctuary in Assam, Hemrani was among the first set of rhinos, including four other females, brought to the reserve under the rhino conservation project started in 1984. She was around 10 years old then. During her stay at Dudhwa, Hemrani gave birth to five rhinos and today, four generations of her descendents survive in the reserve. Singh said Hemrani was among the first rhinos to be given a name, a practice that has been continued for all the 31 rhinos Dudhwa houses today. 

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bareilly/Dudhwa-Tiger-Reserve-loses-its-oldest-rhino/articleshow/44880651.cms

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 11-06-2014

(10-28-2014, 09:01 PM)'tigerluver' Wrote: Those pictures are the exact same. Either the wrong picture was used in the article just for the sake of showing a dead elephant or the info isn't accurate.

I think the info is accurate but as you said the picture is just used for showing a dead elephant.
Here is another news article on the same incident

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/environment/flora-fauna/Kaziranga-elephant-killed-in-tiger-attack/articleshow/44902721.cms

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 11-13-2014

Shivaji-The BOSS of Kolsa

This huge fella is the most sought after tiger in Kolsa.We were fortunate enough to see his entire family(The Boss himself,the female and 3 Cubs) feasting over a Gaur since the last two days.

http://www.indianaturewatch.net/displayimage.php?id=319547

RE: Tiger Predation - GuateGojira - 11-13-2014

Very interesting, another account of a male tiger sharing a kill with its family. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Could you put the link for this information? I want to collect them all, in order to create a topic about the paternal behavior of the male tigers.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 11-14-2014

Ya, they said that Kolsa range is opening up very soon, and I know one photographer who specifically said he is going there and is going to be looking for Shivaji.
Hopefully they spot him, I think its been 2 plus years since he was seen.

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 11-14-2014

(11-13-2014, 08:23 PM)'GuateGojira' Wrote: Very interesting, another account of a male tiger sharing a kill with its family. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Could you put the link for this information? I want to collect them all, in order to create a topic about the paternal behavior of the male tigers.

Hi Guate

Ive got this from Indian nature watch, I posted the link below the picture.

RE: Tiger Predation - sanjay - 11-22-2014

A recent image by wildlife photographer Aditya Dicky singh. Its not clear, taken in low ligth when park was about to close. Image is from Ranthambore national park and A tiger is killing buffalo

All credit to Dicky Singh

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 11-23-2014

Sudhir Shivaram Nature & Wildlife Photography12 hours agoIt's yet another long wait for the evening Jabalpur flight from Mumbai. The flight connectivity from Bangalore to Jabalpur is horrible. Left Bangalore early in the morning and will be reaching Kanha by 9:30pm...As I wait for my evening flight at Mumbai airport, I was going through my previous Kanha images and recollected this amazing experience where the Tiger made the Wild Pig kill right in front of us...was able to capture the complete sequence.

I hope Kanha treats me well this time...looking forward to a great season ahead.

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 11-24-2014

Rhino calf seriously injured by tiger in Kaziranga

A rhino calf, seriously injured by a tiger, was recovered in Kaziranga National Park on Monday.  

The male rhino calf, about three months old, was found with several tiger attack injury marks in the backyard of a house adjacent to a paddy field at Japori Gaon, a fringe village near Agratoli range of the Park, a senior Park official said.

The Park authorities alerted the Centre for Wildlife Rehabilitation and Conservation (CWRC) team of IFAW-WTI and a team led by veterinarian Dr Panjit Basumatary reached the spot and sighted the animal limping and unable to move properly.

The team restrained the calf physically, provided first aid treatment and then brought it to CWRC for further investigations and intensive care.

''The calf has several injuries, out of which a few are deep maggoted wounds on top of the head. As the calf is still limping we need to go for an X-Ray, before we decide on the specific line of treatment'', Basumatary saidThe calf being monitored by CWRC caretakers initially showed signs of aggression.

CWRC has so far attended to 32 cases of displaced rhino calves and recently three orphaned rhino calves hand- raised at the centre were radio collared and released at Manas National Park.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/sci-tech/rhino-calf-seriously-injured-by-tiger-in-kaziranga_1504122.html 

RE: Tiger Predation - sanjay - 11-25-2014

Mighty Tiger Waghdoh dragging a full grown Gaur. Photo credit to Indian wildlife photographer Max Ali.