WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - Rage2277 - 03-23-2020

a better look at that big kazi male

RE: Tiger Predation - Sauron - 03-24-2020

Confused he's huge!

RE: Felines Hunting - Panthera10 - 03-24-2020

The Great Charger once killed and ate an adult sloth bear

*This image is copyright of its original author

The account

RE: Felines Hunting - Panthera10 - 03-25-2020

RE: Tiger Predation - AfricanLeo10 - 03-28-2020

Himalayan black bear killed by tiger

The enemies of the Himalayan bears in the reserve are the tiger and the brown bear. The tiger preys on them year-round: excrement with the remains of Himalayan bears is found at any time of the year, and individuals of all ages become victims. Due to the lack of suitable hollows, some Himalayan bears are forced to winter in land dens, where they become easy prey for the tiger. So, in January 2000, on the right bank of the Geologovsky stream (the left tributary of the Polovinka River), a male tiger killed a Himalayan bear wintering in a land den. A little later, a tigress joined the tiger meal, catching up with him on the trail. They dragged the remains of the bear to different places located at a distance of 200, 120 and 80 m from each other.

The head of a Himalayan bear killed by a male tiger and eaten by him and a tigress. The head was moved by one of the tigers to their resting place. The right bank of the Geologovsky stream (January 2000)

https://elementy.ru/nauchno-populyarnaya_biblioteka/434314/Gimalayskie_medvedi_Bolshogo_Khekhtsira

Note I just wrote the English version

RE: Tiger Predation - tigerluver - 03-28-2020

(11-12-2019, 12:01 PM)Roflcopters Wrote: Wildlife Institute of India’s tiger expert, Rabin Sharma’s documented cases of Adult Rhino predation by tigers.

A small story about rhino & tiger in Kaziranga NationalPark
28th February,2008. I was supervising the field preparation for upcoming Population Estimation for Asiatic Wild Buffalo (Bubalus Arnee). With me was Tarun Gogoi(for mapping), Prabhat Hazarika (Armed Guard) & Lakhi Das(Driver). At around 2.40 pm we were travelling eastwards from Rutikhowa junction. 
Suddenly, we saw a rhino was running very fast from our left side to right side crossing the road just in front of us.  A deer(we presumed) ran (blurred) after the rhino. I immediately asked Lakhi to switch off the vehicle because I was anticipating a tiger to cross the road after the fleeing rhino & deer. In the meantime we heard a loud crashing sound towards our right. We waited for two minutes. No tiger.  We thought that  tiger has sensed us  and aborted the hunt. So, we got down from the vehicle and gone to inspect the place from where crashing sound came. Behold!  An adult female rhino was lying down in agony. Hamstrings of the hind legs were severed, no other injury. The rhino was fully alive. We returned to Rutikhowa Camp and brought the staff to show the location of the injured rhino. When, we reached the spot, fresh blood was oozing out from the hind portion. My friends insisted on taking few photos with a live wild rhino! Then I had fleeting glimpse of  TIGERS (may be 3 or 4)  approx. 40 feet behind my friends. Hurried back to the road and sent the msg to the Director Surendranath Buragohain & DFO Bankim Sarma.  Next day rhino was found half devoured. (First 4 photos of that incident.) 

Second case involving an adult male rhino and a tiger. in this case, it seems the tiger died in the fight as well.

#WONDERFUL NATURE
It happens (only?) in Kaziranga National Park, a wildlife paradise. 
11th November, 2017. Deep inside the Kaziranga Tiger Reserve widerness.

After thorough observation by Research Officer, Range Officer, Forest Veterinery Officer, Field Director, Deputy Field Director, Vets from CWRC, Honorary Wl Warden in presence of NTCA representatives, staff, media persons and after thorough Post Mortem, it was concluded that cause of death of two flagship species is 'interspecific fight', which is perfactly natural.
(Procedures had been completed at 9.30 pm)
Photo: Manik Ali responding to request of the angle with my camera.

A dead rhino and a dead tiger 38 feet away from it. 7th November, 2017.

(Do not worry, no poaching involved. Only interspecific fight)

Credits to Rabin Sharma.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is this a golden tabby tiger? I remember one popped in Assam, is it the same one?

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 03-29-2020

(03-28-2020, 11:24 PM)tigerluver Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 12:01 PM)Roflcopters Wrote: Wildlife Institute of India’s tiger expert, Rabin Sharma’s documented cases of Adult Rhino predation by tigers.

A small story about rhino & tiger in Kaziranga NationalPark
28th February,2008. I was supervising the field preparation for upcoming Population Estimation for Asiatic Wild Buffalo (Bubalus Arnee). With me was Tarun Gogoi(for mapping), Prabhat Hazarika (Armed Guard) & Lakhi Das(Driver). At around 2.40 pm we were travelling eastwards from Rutikhowa junction. 
Suddenly, we saw a rhino was running very fast from our left side to right side crossing the road just in front of us.  A deer(we presumed) ran (blurred) after the rhino. I immediately asked Lakhi to switch off the vehicle because I was anticipating a tiger to cross the road after the fleeing rhino & deer. In the meantime we heard a loud crashing sound towards our right. We waited for two minutes. No tiger.  We thought that  tiger has sensed us  and aborted the hunt. So, we got down from the vehicle and gone to inspect the place from where crashing sound came. Behold!  An adult female rhino was lying down in agony. Hamstrings of the hind legs were severed, no other injury. The rhino was fully alive. We returned to Rutikhowa Camp and brought the staff to show the location of the injured rhino. When, we reached the spot, fresh blood was oozing out from the hind portion. My friends insisted on taking few photos with a live wild rhino! Then I had fleeting glimpse of  TIGERS (may be 3 or 4)  approx. 40 feet behind my friends. Hurried back to the road and sent the msg to the Director Surendranath Buragohain & DFO Bankim Sarma.  Next day rhino was found half devoured. (First 4 photos of that incident.) 

Second case involving an adult male rhino and a tiger. in this case, it seems the tiger died in the fight as well.

#WONDERFUL NATURE
It happens (only?) in Kaziranga National Park, a wildlife paradise. 
11th November, 2017. Deep inside the Kaziranga Tiger Reserve widerness.

After thorough observation by Research Officer, Range Officer, Forest Veterinery Officer, Field Director, Deputy Field Director, Vets from CWRC, Honorary Wl Warden in presence of NTCA representatives, staff, media persons and after thorough Post Mortem, it was concluded that cause of death of two flagship species is 'interspecific fight', which is perfactly natural.
(Procedures had been completed at 9.30 pm)
Photo: Manik Ali responding to request of the angle with my camera.

A dead rhino and a dead tiger 38 feet away from it. 7th November, 2017.

(Do not worry, no poaching involved. Only interspecific fight)

Credits to Rabin Sharma.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is this a golden tabby tiger? I remember one popped in Assam, is it the same one?

Said to be a sub adult male, not the famous Golden female.

RE: Tiger Predation - Ashutosh - 03-29-2020

Nope, this is a regular orange coloured tiger. The golden tabby tiger has a code name kzt 106, and is at least 6 years old from the camera traps.

RE: Tiger Predation - tigerluver - 03-29-2020

(03-29-2020, 12:23 AM)Ashutosh Wrote: Nope, this is a regular orange coloured tiger. The golden tabby tiger has a code name kzt 106, and is at least 6 years old from the camera traps.

I've never seen the color of the stripes fade on a dead animal, even on preserved skin. Is there some lighting effect then? The stripes and pelage of the animal as a whole are tan and faded, like in golden tabby tigers.

RE: Tiger Predation - Lycaon - 03-29-2020

Now looking at the photo it does look golden tabby. Possible explanation it could be sun bleached .

RE: Tiger Predation - Rage2277 - 03-29-2020

i've seen the original image somewhere its a normal colored bengal

RE: Tiger Predation - AfricanLeo10 - 03-29-2020

Tiger killed a dog

RE: Tiger Predation - Spalea - 04-05-2020

Kintoo Dhawan: " The solo sighting of a kill which I will never forget !

One hot evening of may 2018, we were in Ringora area which falls under Bijrani Zone, when we spotted a Tiger. It was hiding far away from us, into the grass mixed with boulders.
Actually it was on hunt and was stalking the deers, who were feeding at shallow water river bed and moving towards the first highbank.
We quickly reached to the spot and adjusted our vehicle so that we can observe maximum part of the river bed where deers were moving.
We waited there for 25 minutes but nothing took place.
And then, all of a sudden, just few metres away from us, a huge male tiger appeared, leaped, grabbed the deer and vanished into the bushes with in few seconds.
We were unable to caught that action in camera, as it was very close and was deep inside the shrubs.
We were thinking that we have missed the action.
But after 5 minutes or so the Tiger reappeared with deer in his mouth and started crossing the river bed. He looked at us for a while when I took this picture.
The deers were calling frantically, and they didn't know that one of them is missing.
The Tiger disappeared into the jungle, and we standing there , thinking about the stunning action scene few seconds before.
I think that was one of the best action sightings of mine in Corbett. "

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 04-06-2020

Atul Browne
Elephant to the Tiger Oh! I was not prepared for this... Tigers reply...forget it but remember the lesson...

What a moment it was when we were taking pictures of Elephant herd and suddenly two Tigers came out from the bushes and one started waking towards the one Elephant left behind with a calf.

RE: Tiger Predation - Rage2277 - 04-16-2020

Devendra Gogate‎-Great grandmother of Panna - T 1 | May 2018