WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - Rage2277 - 02-08-2020

Thailand Tiger Project DNP-Live story from the clip well
At Mother V's point and baby who hunt red cow
Turns out
Got a young tiger coming to jam
And show the owner of this big meal
Make Mom v and son have to let go of a big meal for young man.

Make it happen
Research team digging into history
Then I knew it was still a tiger day before.
Just started wandering for home
But this beat is quite shred and five.
That makes mother v and child go away.
To enter the slogan
"knowing how to save survival is the top of tiger"

So I know that
Mother v and son are into the back of the lid.
When the spouse is shaking with brother pong.
The invasion is close to the south.
She took her kids to hide from the east side.
It's not bad. New intruders are coming in.
That brother thana didn't come out to protect.

Admin can do it. Just send your heart to help, mother v.
May life enter peace mode soon

RE: Tiger Predation - Sully - 02-08-2020

This may have been posted before but apparently

"Corbett recorded a pair of mating tigers who fought and killed a very large elephant tusker, after a battle that lasted most of the night. While one leaped on the elephants back, the other mauled its head" 

~ Tiger: The Ultimate Guide

RE: Tiger Predation - Sully - 02-08-2020

The same book recounts a story where an adolescent of about a year old survived the winter by killing 7 seals on a sea rockery in Siberia. It gave the animal enough energy rich fat to get him through the winter. Polar bear like.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 02-08-2020

Chitwan Tigress killing a Boar.

RE: Tigers of Ranthambore & Western India Landscape - Dark Jaguar - 02-08-2020

credits: Gypsy Tiger

Watch this exclusive video of an attempted hunt by tigress Langdi’s cubs in Pench. Video shot & shared by Sheetal Gandhi

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 02-15-2020

Durgesh Urkude
14/2/2020............ Today Morning Safari At Pench Tiger Reserve MH, Sillari gate 

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 02-15-2020

Jaguars arent the only ones to kill by skull bite, here a young boar has been killed by an Amur tiger and you can see the punctures in its skull.

RE: Tiger Predation - Rage2277 - 02-16-2020

RE: Tiger Predation - Shadow - 02-18-2020

This looks like to be one quite solid case of a tiger killing an adult gaur, in this people were able to examine carcass and find marks from the fight. Looks like to be a cow (maybe someone can find more information/photos), but nevertheless nice kill for this tiger.

"Some incredible tiger news from Thailand, where rare camera trap footage has captured an adult resident male and it’s huge prey – the first time WWF observed this directly in Mae Wong National Park.

A wild gaur, known to be the world’s largest bovine, was found dead in Mae Wong National Park in late December last year. The marking on the gaur carcass revealed claw marks on its side and bite marks on the throat. But it wasn’t until WWF placed camera traps in the same spot that we were able to finally confirm that a tiger killed the gaur. This is a rare and important find. 
The research team was delighted to confirm its identity as MKM8, a male tiger they have been tracking since 2014. “MK” refers to him being a resident of Mae Wong-Klong Lan National Parks, and “M” represents his gender. "

http://tigers.panda.org/news/captured-on-camera-wild-tiger-hunts-worlds-largest-bovine-in-thailand/

Here some video footage:

https://twitter.com/WWFMyanmar/status/1216663749211410432

RE: Tiger Predation - Rage2277 - 02-18-2020

i mean..there's more than enough solid cases of tigers killing adult gaur with bulls they usually just hamstring and eat them alive like in the pic of munna with his bull kill

(02-18-2020, 05:29 AM)Rage2277 Wrote: i mean..there's more than enough solid cases of tigers killing adult gaur with bulls they usually just hamstring and eat them alive like in the pic of munna with his bull kill

All people choose what they keep solid themselves. I might be more critical than others. I do believe, that tigers kill these animals, but I´m not at all convinced, that all claimed cases are clear. But this one is for me solid. Some others too, but since so rare are clear, this kind which have been examined are very interesting for me.

(02-18-2020, 05:40 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 05:29 AM)Rage2277 Wrote: i mean..there's more than enough solid cases of tigers killing adult gaur with bulls they usually just hamstring and eat them alive like in the pic of munna with his bull kill

All people choose what they keep solid themselves. I might be more critical than others. I do believe, that tigers kill these animals, but I´m not at all convinced, that all claimed cases are clear. But this one is for me solid. Some others too, but since so rare are clear, this kind which have been examined are very interesting for me.

idk..it's pretty clear they were killed..when ever i see big cats with dead bovines i never assume they found them these animals aren't just getting sick and dropping dead..that's actually rare..like what are the odds..gaur or buffalo like all other prey of big cats die to predation more than anything else

(02-18-2020, 05:57 AM)Rage2277 Wrote:

idk..it's pretty clear they were killed..when ever i see big cats with dead bovines i never assume they found them these animals aren't just getting sick and dropping dead..that's actually rare..like what are the odds..gaur or buffalo like all other prey of big cats die to predation more than anything else

Lions are known eat for instance elephants, which have died to natural causes, not predated. I don´t see any reason to doubt, that any other predators would pass "free meal" when noticing such. Many herbivores die to natural causes, there are simply too many of them to be all hunted down by predators. So when I see a lion or a tiger eating an elephant or a rhino or let´s say a hippo, the first thought in my mind isn´t that they killed those animals, when we are talking about adults. They are simply so big and strong, that it feels more probable, that the predator has found the carcass, especially with elephants and big rhinos. When we look at, let´s say gaurs (big bulls), as I said, I don´t see it impossible at all, that killed by the predator.

But when talking about big bulls, I don´t take it for granted, that every carcass eaten by a tiger has been killed by it. For sure some have been, I don´t see it as something impossible, but it´s not easy either and I doubt that all tigers are able to do it. And hamstring is a term often used, but there are controversial opinions about it too. Some say, that it happens, when and if it happens, more by accident than on purpose, while chasing. I have to say, that I can understand both sides, it´s far from easy to do too accurate things while running in full speed, but still some individuals show time to time very impressive skills. 

I wish, that some day we would see at least some photos in which a tiger and a bull gaur "on action", but that obviously is avery difficult thing to get filmed/photographed. Most probably most serious hunts concerning them happen in nighttime. But who knows if one day someone is lucky enough. Some luck is needed, when we are talking about rare things happening in covered terrain and in darkness.

(02-18-2020, 03:07 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 05:57 AM)Rage2277 Wrote:

Lions are known eat for instance elephants, which have died to natural causes, not predated. I don´t see any reason to doubt, that any other predators would pass "free meal" when noticing such. Many herbivores die to natural causes, there are simply too many of them to be all hunted by predators. So when I see a lion or tiger eating elephant or rhino or let´s say hippo, the first thought in my mind isn´t that they killed those animals, when we are talking about adults. They are simply so big and strong, that it feels more probable, that predator has found the carcass, especially with elephants and big rhinos. When we look at let´s say gaurs, as I said, I don´t see it impossible at all. But when talking about big bulls, I don´t take it for granted, that every carcass eaten by a tiger has been killed by it. For sure some have been, I don´t see it as something impossible, but it´s not easy either and I doubt that all tigers are able to do it. And hamstring is a term often used, but there are controversial opinions about it too. Some say, that it happens, when and if it happens more by accident than on purpose, while chasing. I have to say, that I can understand both sides, it´s far from easy to do too accurate things while running in full speed, but still some individuals show time to time very impressive skills. 

I wish, that some day we would see at least some photos in which a tiger and bull gaur "on action", but that obviously is very difficult thing and most probably most serious hunts concerning them happen in nighttime. But who knows if one day someone is lucky enough. Some luck is needed, when we are talking about rare things happening in covered terrain in dark.
elephant,rhino and hippo are in diff leagues to gaur the adults of these animals can't be killed by throat bites and hamstringing but adult gaur male or female can be killed,have been killed and do get killed by these methods and hamstringing isn't something that happens in a chase it's nothing complex the tigers literally chew off the tendons of the back legs to immobilize the gaur and just eat them alive or go for the neck after, that is something they intentionally do it's pretty obvious..they've even done it to smaller prey like sambar and nilgai lions do it too but not as often as tigers

RE: Tiger Predation - Ashutosh - 02-18-2020

According to the tiger census of 2018, there were no tigers in Palamau tiger reserve of Jharkhand. But, a case of a very old tigress dying because of being gored by a herd of gaur has proven that claim to be untrue (although number of tigers is definitely very few).

This tigress was said to be 16 years old, and on discovery had 5 porcupine quills in her body, extremely frail with a puncture wound in the abdomen with her stomach being completely empty. Her canines were only half an inch long, so she was clearly incapacitated and survived by hunting rodents like porcupines. But, when she went after a calf gaur, she was gored even though she did do damage to the gaur, it was a case of nature taking it’s course.

[attachment=3395]

[attachment=3396]

You can see how thin she has become. She was measured to be 8.7 feet long and had a 3 inch wound in her abdomen.

https://www.telegraphindia.com/states/jharkhand/proof-that-palamau-has-big-cats-forester/cid/1746084