WildFact
Tiger Predation - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Tiger (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tiger)
+----- Thread: Tiger Predation (/topic-tiger-predation)

RE: Tiger Predation - Apollo - 08-03-2019

Tiger dragging its kill in Ranthambore

RE: Tiger Predation - Shadow - 08-03-2019

(07-28-2019, 01:33 PM)johnny rex Wrote:

This male southern Bengal tiger Raja must be an experienced buffalo hunter, judging by the way it killed the buffalo in a very short time by twisting and breaking its neck (not sure whether it was done accidentally or not) while most tigers simply choke their prey to death by biting through their throat. Pretty impressive.

Actually that buffalo didn´t die in attack, I think. It keeps head up there some time after tiger release it and charges other buffalos. Then after a moment lowers it, it´s not dropping limp, and lies there head on ground. I think, that in some other videos it can be seen also better, that this buffalo is moving in some way. I have wondered if it was in such "shock", that it had to lie down there or in such pain, that immobilized for some time. 

If neck broken, it should have been limp right away after tiger released grip, not looking for a moment around. Maybe it died afterwards, but this is one of those cases, that it would be really interesting to know what happened afterwards. Attack was fierce and brutal and that´s why I was amazed to see, that this buffalo wasn´t dead and limp after tiger left it. Does anyone know more about this case, maybe there is more footage somewhere?

(08-03-2019, 02:55 PM)Shadow Wrote:

This male southern Bengal tiger Raja must be an experienced buffalo hunter, judging by the way it killed the buffalo in a very short time by twisting and breaking its neck (not sure whether it was done accidentally or not) while most tigers simply choke their prey to death by biting through their throat. Pretty impressive.

Actually that buffalo didn´t die in attack, I think. It keeps head up there some time after tiger release it and charges other buffalos. Then after a moment lowers it, it´s not dropping limp, and lies there head on ground. I think, that in some other videos it can be seen also better, that this buffalo is moving in some way. I have wondered if it was in such "shock", that it had to lie down there or in such pain, that immobilized for some time. 

If neck broken, it should have been limp right away after tiger released grip, not looking for a moment around. Maybe it died afterwards, but this is one of those cases, that it would be really interesting to know what happened afterwards. Attack was fierce and brutal and that´s why I was amazed to see, that this buffalo wasn´t dead and limp after tiger left it. Does anyone know more about this case, maybe there is more footage somewhere?

It looks like, that somewhere at 0:07-0:09 tiger loses best grab and buffalo then tries to keep it´s head on right to avoid getting bitten. When tiger then gives up at that point and rises at about 0:13, that buffalo seems to be looking at that one right next to it, which looks like to check that attacked buffalo, that is it dead or what. And that buffalo on ground is keeping head up all the time until it lowers it at 0:22-0:23. Hind leg is also moving at 0:13-0:17 before that buffalo is covered by some passenger.

Still I have no doubt, that many animals die instantly in this kind of attack. I was just amazed to notice, that this buffalo might have been just in such shock or pain, that needed to rest a bit. Or of course it could be crippled so, that not anymore able to survive. But I´m sure, that it didn´t die immediately, hopefully euthanized soon if leg broken or something else though.

RE: Tiger Predation - Pckts - 08-03-2019

Raja killed 3 of them this day if I remember correctly, including the buffalo he attacked first.

(08-03-2019, 04:30 PM)Pckts Wrote: Raja killed 3 of them this day if I remember correctly, including the buffalo he attacked first.

Good that not suffering there too long. Even though wildlife is cruel, never nice to see prolonged suffering. Still pity that there isn´t information that did this one on video stand up later or had it maybe broken leg or some kind of neck injury. Attack was brutal, as said, even though not immediately lethal. And quite odd, that killing so many at same day, seems that Raja wasn´t in good mood then on that day Wink Usually it is a kill and then eating it after all. 

Did that herd force it to back off twice from kill/possible kill or what happened preventing it to eat?

(08-03-2019, 04:58 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 04:30 PM)Pckts Wrote: Raja killed 3 of them this day if I remember correctly, including the buffalo he attacked first.

Good that not suffering there too long. Even though wildlife is cruel, never nice to see prolonged suffering. Still pity that there isn´t information that did this one on video stand up later or had it maybe broken leg or some kind of neck injury. Attack was brutal, as said, even though not immediately lethal. And quite odd, that killing so many at same day, seems that Raja wasn´t in good mood then on that day Wink Usually it is a kill and then eating it after all. 

Did that herd force it to back off twice from kill/possible kill or what happened preventing it to eat?
There's quite a bit of info on the account, it happened in 2014 I believe so you'll need to search around the forum and online to find the original.

From what I recall the first buffalo never got up and Raja would come back again and again and continue killing them.
Big cats are opportunistic so it's hard for them to shut off the *hunting* part of their brain even when a kill has been made.
You can find examples of that with all big cats I'm sure but just off the top of my head, there's a famous set of photos of a Kaziranaga Tiger feasting on it's water buffalo kill then a Chital walks by and the Tiger which is hidden by the carcass uses that as an opportunity to try and hunt the Chital.

(08-03-2019, 05:08 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 04:58 PM)Shadow Wrote:

There's quite a bit of info on the account, it happened in 2014 I believe so you'll need to search around the forum and online to find the original.

From what I recall the first buffalo never got up and Raja would come back again and again and continue killing them.
Big cats are opportunistic so it's hard for them to shut off the *hunting* part of their brain even when a kill has been made.
You can find examples of that with all big cats I'm sure but just off the top of my head, there's a famous set of photos of a Kaziranaga Tiger feasting on it's water buffalo kill then a Chital walks by and the Tiger which is hidden by the carcass uses that as an opportunity to try and hunt the Chital.

I know, that there are some cases, where they kill more than needed. But still usually we see tiger eating what it kills. Of course this kind of situation, where it is forced to back off and is disturbed can change things. I have tried to look at some first hand information from this case sometimes for curiosity, but not able to find anything, which would give answers. It just wouldn´t have been first time, when already fallen buffalo stands up after a moment and continue with herd.

Of course this kind of attack, when this fierce is kind of 50/50, that does animal die very fast or not. But based on what I see on this video, that buffalo was still alive, when tiger was forced to back off by the herd. What happened later is then another thing. Still a good example, that fast and clean kills aren´t at all self evident with big prey animals.

It's fairly obvious the Buffalo is incapacitated, the exact state of its injuries are unknown and unless you bring an MRI machine out there you can debate it as much as you want. But in the 10 sec encounter with Raja the Buffalo was injured so badly it couldn't stand even though it was still in obvious danger.

Now I recall it being a total of 3 buffalo being killed but his caption says "2 and went back for a 3rd."
https://www.facebook.com/bommaanu.bomma/videos/689529997889997/

I'd post the video myself but I'm on my cell and it's a pain to post FB videos.

(08-03-2019, 05:53 PM)Pckts Wrote: It's fairly obvious the Buffalo is incapacitated, the exact state of its injuries are unknown and unless you bring an MRI machine out there you can debate it as much as you want. But in the 10 sec encounter with Raja the Buffalo was injured so badly it couldn't stand even though it was still in obvious danger.

Now I recall it being a total of 3 buffalo being killed but his caption says "2 and went back for a 3rd."
https://www.facebook.com/bommaanu.bomma/videos/689529997889997/

I'd post the video myself but I'm on my cell and it's a pain to post FB videos.

Could be injured of course badly. But from video it´s difficult to say alone. There are cases, where animals rise up later. Anyway whatever was result, that attack was impressive and fierce and without any doubt, there are similar cases where tiger breaks neck of buffalo/cow/whatever. This one just didn´t die at least instantly. So if someone thought, that fast/clean and kind of merciful, that wasn´t the case. It is quite rare to see really fast kills so, that prey animal barely has time to get scared. 

Still this is one very impressive attack and damn that tiger was fierce! That long roaring was really something, it can be only imagined what it would be like to stand in some forest or field and suddenly hear that voice somewhere close :) I bet, that most of us should change underwear after that.

RE: Tiger Predation - Ashutosh - 08-03-2019

A lot of your preconceived notions on Raja will be clarified, @Shadow from this article. It is by one of the foremost scientists in his field. Do read on about the part about Das, a chunky tiger and his obsession with gaur.

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2013/12/03/rare-video-captures-tiger-making-its-kill/

(08-03-2019, 06:37 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: A lot of your preconceived notions on Raja will be clarified, @Shadow from this article. It is by one of the foremost scientists in his field. Do read on about the part about Das, a chunky tiger and his obsession with gaur.

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2013/12/03/rare-video-captures-tiger-making-its-kill/

I have read that in past. I was now interested about this case on video. But that is good article what you shared.

RE: Tiger Predation - johnny rex - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 03:21 PM)Shadow Wrote:

It looks like, that somewhere at 0:07-0:09 tiger loses best grab and buffalo then tries to keep it´s head on right to avoid getting bitten. When tiger then gives up at that point and rises at about 0:13, that buffalo seems to be looking at that one right next to it, which looks like to check that attacked buffalo, that is it dead or what. And that buffalo on ground is keeping head up all the time until it lowers it at 0:22-0:23. Hind leg is also moving at 0:13-0:17 before that buffalo is covered by some passenger.

Still I have no doubt, that many animals die instantly in this kind of attack. I was just amazed to notice, that this buffalo might have been just in such shock or pain, that needed to rest a bit. Or of course it could be crippled so, that not anymore able to survive. But I´m sure, that it didn´t die immediately, hopefully euthanized soon if leg broken or something else though.

Yes I think the buffalo maybe was in shock so it is temporarily immobile I guess

RE: Tiger Predation - Shadow - 08-04-2019

(08-03-2019, 10:20 PM)johnny rex Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 03:21 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Yes I think the buffalo maybe was in shock so it is temporarily immobile I guess

Yes, but just if someone is thinking why I am interested about situations like this tiger attack I put here one example to show why. I have been busy so I didn´t have time to do this earlier :)

These are fascinating cases.

RE: Tiger Predation - Shadow - 08-04-2019

(08-03-2019, 06:37 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: A lot of your preconceived notions on Raja will be clarified, @Shadow from this article. It is by one of the foremost scientists in his field. Do read on about the part about Das, a chunky tiger and his obsession with gaur.

Oh, one thing.... "preconceived"? I would love to hear what do you mean? I saw a video, where tiger was hunting and I was interested about the case. Is pointing out some observations for you in some way same as preconceive? I have to say, that I find it quite odd, what you say and I am curious to hear, that what do you mean?

My points were, that the buffalo didn´t die immediately in that video and it is clear, that it didn´t. Then I was curious to know what might have happened after that recording ended, because I am curious about animal behavior and especially when something unexpected happen. I hadn´t seen anywhere any good information about that video and incident, so I commented about it in hope, that someone might notice and have more information. Then I said, that it is very rare, that kills are clean and instant, I meant by it big cats, in which I maybe wasn´t clear, but as you too know, that is reality, usually there is fight and suffocating.

So what do you mean by "preconceived"? I don´t think, that pointing out facts fit to that.

RE: Tiger Predation - Diamir2 - 08-04-2019

(08-04-2019, 01:28 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Oh, one thing.... "preconceived"? I would love to hear what do you mean? I saw a video, where tiger was hunting and I was interested about the case. Is pointing out some observations for you in some way same as preconceive? I have to say, that I find it quite odd, what you say and I am curious to hear, that what do you mean?

My points were, that the buffalo didn´t die immediately in that video and it is clear, that it didn´t. Then I was curious to know what might have happened after that recording ended, because I am curious about animal behavior and especially when something unexpected happen. I hadn´t seen anywhere any good information about that video and incident, so I commented about it in hope, that someone might notice and have more information. Then I said, that it is very rare, that kills are clean and instant, I meant by it big cats, in which I maybe wasn´t clear, but as you too know, that is reality, usually there is fight and suffocating.

So what do you mean by "preconceived"? I don´t think, that pointing out facts fit to that.

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2014/08/15/bold-tigers-of-malenad-bpt-222-strikes-again/